STORMIN. Norman Schwarzkorpf Dies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
One of our best General officers in my life dies. Rip.

He was the architect of the first gulf war.

Last edited:
Chuck..he was the video General of the 90's! and yes I remember his times BEFORE the gulf war.
R.I.P Norman..

And BTW..keep your head down till you come back to us here in the South...I will meet you in person in Orangeburg soon..in one piece I pray..Seriously..:smile:

Last edited:
I remember him prior to the Gulf also. My mother was in the service and used to speak highly of him as an officer.

Me, I did not join until 86 (88 boots on ground).

I will be back in the South in August in time for Freedom Launch.

I remember during the transition from Desert Shield to Desert Storm he was asked how he would attack. He said "we're going to cut them off and kill them". That pretty much summed up the ground war I think.

Overly simplified but it did not give away our plans either.

Granted, but that's exactly what he did. I'm sure you recall the images of that miles long line of burned out military vehicles.

He was one of the last "NO BULLSHIT" Generals..meant what he said and did it.

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who had the monikers of "Stormin' Norman" and "The Bear", defined the American post-Vietnam War general. The "After the War" briefing that he conducted with the media was a masterful presentation of how the Gulf War ("The Mother of All Battles", according Saddam Hussein) was won. A lot of the lessons learned from Vietnam (the good, the bad, and the ugly), were applied with great success. So much so that the opposing force was not just beaten, but crushed. The 24/7 news cycle made it quite the show, where many came home and watched the war while eating popcorn.

Greg

I saw him in the lobby of the Hotel Manila in 1994 he was in full class A's. He was there to Commemorate the 50th anniversary of MacArthur's returned to the Philippines. He was larger than life as he walked by.

General Shwarzkopf was a brilliant general. His tactics were sound and his handling of the coalition aspect brilliant. I find his attitude towards invading Iraq was very well thought out as well. George Bush senior IMO is a great man and I hope he recovers.
Cheers
Fred

Back