Time well spent !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
As some of you all know I was stationed in Alaska with the US Army back in 1978 - 1980 .
One of my best experiences I ever had in my life and will never forget it as long as I live happened to me while on guard duty during war games
at Fort Greely. If you ever get the chance to view them please do and you will never forget it .

It was having the privilege to view the Aurora Borealis better know as the Northern Lights,

linked is a video ( not mine ) that gives you an idea of what to expect .

Enjoy !

Dad was stationed at Elmondorf AFB near Anchorage from 1966 to 1969. We saw many Northern lights. We felt MANY earthquakes (set your watch by them!) We saw a few sled dog races. Funnist place I've ever lived. Would go back in a heart beat.

That's something I've long longed to see. I want to plan a vacation to Iceland for the next solar max, July of 2025. But there's not much night in Iceland in July. The best time of year is supposed to be anywhere from September to April, so I late in 2025 might be better. And hey, where would you rather be than Iceland in the dead of winter?

Heading to Iceland this summer probably, in July... as far as I can tell there is absolutely no chance to see the northern lights in July. Oh well, at least it will be warm(er)!

@ Huxter

I love the bike trails up in Anchorage, The trail started between Fort Rich and Elmondorf AFB went down near
University of Alaska . and over to Anchorage. The bike trails were great

I’ve seen them. Not in the northern latitudes but in southern Idaho!
They were so heavy and constant, you expected to hear sound.
From horizon to horizon covering more than half of the visible sky.
The amazing thing, it was not just green, but had large streaks of blue/purple and red as well.
Ill never forget it, long to see them again.

I didn't do many bike trails in Alaska, but we sure hit the sledding hills! There were great hills above the golf course, above the train tracks, within walking distance of my house. I remember the Xmas I got a Toboggan sled! 3+ little kids could fit, and fly on that thing!

It was kinda weird not to hear anything watching the lights! I remember green mostly?

Other memories:
3 days of total darkness a year! 3 days of total brightness a year!
Parents played in the Midnight golf tournaments.
2 seasons - spring and winter. Plants, animals grew like crazy all spring.
Moose walking in our back yard.
Plane ride to the outback (somewhere?), floated out on pontoon raft for 3 days. River chucked full w salmon (Pink maybe)?

WOULD RECOMMEND!! 👍 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Now, you got me going! Found a picture of Grandpa with his salmon. I think Kings can get red during spawning?? So, now, I'd say King Salmon! We caught these kinds of Kings for3 days straight. circa 1968

GrandpasSalmon.jpg

Now, you got me going! Found a picture of Grandpa with his salmon. I think Kings can get red during spawning?? So, now, I'd say King Salmon! We caught these kinds of Kings for3 days straight. circa 1968

View attachment 565326
Black gums, spots on the back and tail, no fork in the tail . . . yep, likely a King

I got my SCUBA certificate / training at the Anchorage Dive Center. We would drive up on flatcars
on the Alaska Railroad stay in your car and ride through the train tunnel to Whitter Alaska for a weekend of diving for
King Crab and take photos of the local sea stars which looks like a star fish but with several more arms .

We saw the boar-tide going up turnagainarm from the train car sitting in your automotive
It was cool to see a 2 foot tall wall of water going up the inlet
Fresh King Crab steamed with lowenbrau Beer...delicious !

Back