Storage of Model Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is... impressive. :oops: Pretty full (and up-to-date) Estes collection there.

Dare I even ask what it's like to try to extract one of the rockets from the mass up top?
Occasionally I'll pull a bunch down in order to find a hole to squeeze in another. :) I need to build less and launch more. Working from home during the pandemic really contributed to building a lot of rockets. I built about two a month during all the online meetings I had to attend. :D

I have a simpler approach to storage, thought it's for a much smaller fleet. I glue used engine cases to squares of cardboard. Three inches or so is adequate for most LPRs, and I can happily use bigger ones if a rocket wants to fall over. Wood may be called for for some of the bigger ones I have in progress, and I guess then I'd drill the board and glue in a dowel instead of a spent engine, and then I'll be doing what some of the others do. But for now, spent cases and cardboard are working fine.

Those have the advantage of being disposable, to I also use them for painting stands.

One thing I worry about is the body tubes sagging over time if they are required to support the weight of the rocket without decent support along the length. Someone mentioned a Mean Machine warping when leaned against the wall. I can only imagine the sagging that might occur over a few years if a lot of rockets were held horizontally by the motor mount or launch lug.
My rockets are horizontal, supported in two places than to my eyes look optimal for non-sagging.

Also I rotate them periodically. 😉
I'd also be worried about supporting them horizontally by the motor mount, it we're talking about cardboard tubes. It's probably different with FG or CF. Neil's way sound better to me.

What I really need is a better method for transport. An insert something like this may be a good answer, as I have a rolling bin I've been using that I could build something into.
One of the better storage and transportation methods I've seen was at our local NAR section launch last year. This storage is for LPR and some MPR models.

Picture a plastic storage bin with the rockets stored vertically, noses down...

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips? I am finding myself getting addicted to this real fast and I am not sure how I will ever store all of my "future" fleet. Anybody have any cool ideas?

-Patrick
I've found that trees will naturally help you with storage. They will select which, and how to hold onto them for you. 2 things effect this:
1) The more it costs; the more likely a tree will hold it for you.
2) the more effort you put into finishing; the higher the tree will hold it, to make sure it's out of reach.

Actually, I just got some hangers for the tracks of suspended ceilings. I am just running a few tracks, not any ceiling tiles. NACETURE Drop Ceiling Hook for Hanging – 25 Pack

https://a.co/d/c6DhP9N

Last edited:
Not elegant but effective. Not a display solution, but a way to keep a bunch in a small space. For sport flyers where you aren’t worried to much about paint job it works fine.

if you like oatmeal, get the round big cartons (Quaker Oats has the thicker better quality ones, but the cheaper store brands will work.)

for small rockets one carton works, can put several rockets nose down in the carton, fins will interdigitate.

for longer rockets cut the bottom out of one and tape it to the other.

this only works well for rockets up to BT-50, and without canards or other forward doodads. works well for transporting rockets too.

if you like flavored oatmeal but don’t like the cost of those itty bitty packets, get the big cartons. Pour half a carton in a big bowl, add sweetener to taste (for me, 2/3 cup of fake sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground clove per half carton). Put lid on and take outside and shake to mix.

pour this in another bowl and put the stuff from first bowl back in and repeat. Then pour the second bowl back in first.

when you finish this carton, SAVE the now empty carton. For your NEXT carton, pour half into FIRST carton. Now you can do above without messing with bowls.

Not elegant but effective. Not a display solution, but a way to keep a bunch in a small space. For sport flyers where you aren’t worried to much about paint job it works fine.

if you like oatmeal, get the round big cartons (Quaker Oats has the thicker better quality ones, but the cheaper store brands will work.)

for small rockets one carton works, can put several rockets nose down in the carton, fins will interdigitate.

for longer rockets cut the bottom out of one and tape it to the other.

this only works well for rockets up to BT-50, and without canards or other forward doodads. works well for transporting rockets too.

if you like flavored oatmeal but don’t like the cost of those itty bitty packets, get the big cartons. Pour half a carton in a big bowl, add sweetener to taste (for me, 2/3 cup of fake sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground clove per half carton). Put lid on and take outside and shake to mix.

pour this in another bowl and put the stuff from first bowl back in and repeat. Then pour the second bowl back in first.

when you finish this carton, SAVE the now empty carton. For your NEXT carton, pour half into FIRST carton. Now you can do above without messing with bowls.
Is this a rocket thread or a cooking thread? :)

It's also not hard to add the flavorings of your choice to one bowl at time. Butter and honey are my usual, and the nice thing is not being locked in. Maple syrup (real maple syrup, that is) spices, raisins or other dried fruit...

Latest posts

Back