Steampunk Style Rocket Lamp

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could buy most of the parts at your local Home Depot or Lowes then you'd have to find how they did the light sockets in the 1/2-3/4 couplings. The main light is a safety cage light.
I'm sure you would spend well over $42 on individual parts.

Go for it

Reviews of the item and seller aren't very good though. Sure looks cool.
I saw that. I figure worst case I'll re-wire it myself. I'm pretty handy with stuff like that.​

Hee, hee....
I love mine.
View attachment 577753

The wife got it here.
https://www.decorhome-us.com/products/lamp

Edit: This one is plastic and not very sturdy.
That's troubling. The photo makes it look like it's steel, yet the one you have looks similar, but it's not steel. Oh well, we'll see.​
You could buy most of the parts at your local Home Depot or Lowes then you'd have to find how they did the light sockets in the 1/2-3/4 couplings. The main light is a safety cage light.
I'm sure you would spend well over $42 on individual parts.

Go for it
Those cage lights are expensive, well, if they look like the one in the photo I posted. I'll report back when it arrives. It says in the description that it is "Imitation metal plastic material, very light and metallic." Hong Kong Phooey​

Last edited:

Product details​

Description:
Material: Imitation metal plastic material, very light and metallic.
100% Brand new and high quality.
Hand-made custom rocket lamp art lamp. Flexible lamp holder for adjustment. Rustic finish.
This is a unique piece of art, but it also has practical uses because it can be used to illuminate your work area or bedroom.
Because the products are handmade, the products you receive may be slightly different

size :22*17cm

Product contains:

1 x light(According to your country's plug, if you have other requirements, please contact us.

Notice:

1. Manual measuring, please allow 1 ~ 2cm error,thank you.
2. Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of.

how do you make fake “metal plastic material”? would that be wood? Cotton? Cardboard?

how do you make something “very light and metallic”?

how “slightly” different can it be?

so if your country has different plugs, you might get 2?

so it’s about 9 inches high? Wondering about the bulb sizes and replace-ability?

amazon reviews weren’t so hot
https://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-In...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Last edited:

Product details​

Description:
Hand-made custom rocket lamp art lamp. Flexible lamp holder for adjustment. Rustic finish.
This is a unique piece of art, but it also has practical uses because it can be used to illuminate your work area or bedroom.
Because the products are handmade, the products you receive may be slightly different

Product contains:

1 x light(According to your country's plug, if you have other requirements, please contact us.

Notice:

2. Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of.

how do you make fake “metal plastic material”? would that be wood? Cotton? Cardboard?

so it’s about 9 inches high? Wondering about the bulb sizes and replace-ability?

https://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-In...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Reading is fundamental. :weirdthread:

"Extremely light and cheap feeling." It's a lamp... who cares?

"Would not survive one drop off my desk" Are lamps supposed to be "Drop Tested"?

"Should have been $15-20." Have you seen the price of eggs lately?

Rocket Lamp.jpg

Last edited:
Do I need this? No. Is it cool? A quad cluster rocket lamp? Definitely YES. It's Odd-Roc Cool

And for $42 bucks shipped right to your door... why not? You literally couldn't scratch build this yourself for $42.00. No way, no how.

Walmart Steampunk Odd-Roc Lamp

View attachment 577746
Very cool!!!

In my neck of the woods, there are lots of resale shops, like the Re-Store, were one can find all sorts of used bits to purchase.

I think I will try to make one from real metal parts, just because....

Very cool!!!

In my neck of the woods, there are lots of resale shops, like the Re-Store, were one can find all sorts of used bits to purchase.

I think I will try to make one from real metal parts, just because....

Be sure to post up your adventure.

The kicker is those caged lights, like the one in the photo with the built in (4) NPT base, are pretty rare.

Product details​

Description:

Product contains:

Notice:

You dust aluminium powder into a silicone mould and fill it with 2 part casting urethane. Polish with a soft cloth et viola metal plastic. You can then give it a quick paint if you need to get some highlights or lowlights.(no pun intended) Done it.

I saw that. I figure worst case I'll re-wire it myself. I'm pretty handy with stuff like that.​

That's troubling. The photo makes it look like it's steel, yet the one you have looks similar, but it's not steel. Oh well, we'll see.​

Those cage lights are expensive, well, if they look like the one in the photo I posted. I'll report back when it arrives. It says in the description that it is "Imitation metal plastic material, very light and metallic." Hong Kong Phooey​
"Imitation metal plastic material, very light and metallic."
Okay then...
That's lawyer speak for "plastic with paint on it", which is exactly what it is.
Surprisingly, the dry brushed gold paint over black is very effective, it looks like brass at 3 feet.
So, anyone up for a flying version? One motor centerline and four smaller outboard?
Is there a DC version of that bulb?

Last edited:

Product details​

Description:

Product contains:

Notice:

The one at my desk is just about 9" tall with about a 4" span. One of the flame lights just went out so we will soon find out about replaceability.

John, thanks for posting this thread.
I liked the look of this so much that I ordered one from Amazon.
Arrived today.
Observations.
It works.
Came partially assembled, no instructions but figured out how to put everything together.
Manufacturer is a mystery, no label on the product or the box.
Likewise, no electrical safety certification label found on the product.
If these things are important to you, take note.
Construction is snap together plastic painted with what appears to be an antique brass with a brush painted wash over it.
Elbows are twist and lock into the lamp base,
Two of the elbows were loose, one was actually off the base. was able to twist those back in but still loose.
May wind up gluing those in.
All five bulbs are incandescent.
The only way I can see to replace the main bulb is by prying apart the two halves of the cage and base housing. The cage does not screw off.
The flicker bulbs have a candelabra (E12) base.
It has an in line on/off switch.
It doesn't appear to be very durable, I wouldn't put this in a kids' room.
It works for what it is: a novelty mood lamp.
0511231709[1].jpg

0511231742[1].jpg

View attachment 0511231707[1].mp4

Laters.

Last edited:
John, thanks for posting this thread.
I liked the look of this so much that I ordered one from Amazon.
Arrived today.
Observations.
It works.
Came partially assembled, no instructions but figured out how to put everything together.
Manufacturer is a mystery, no label on the product or the box.
Likewise, no electrical safety certification label found on the product.
If these things are important to you, take note.
Construction is snap together plastic painted with what appears to be an antique brass with a brush painted wash over it.
Elbows are twist and lock into the lamp base,
Two of the elbows were loose, one was actually off the base. was able to twist those back in but still loose.
May wind up gluing those in.
All five bulbs are incandescent.
The only way I can see to replace the main bulb is by prying apart the two halves of the cage and base housing. The cage does not screw off.
The flicker bulbs have a candelabra (E12) base.
It has an in line on/off switch.
It doesn't appear to be very durable, I wouldn't put this in a kids' room.
It works for what it is: a novelty mood lamp.
View attachment 580145

View attachment 580146

View attachment 580147

Laters.

Yours and mine were / are on the same slow boat from China. They must have tossed yours overboard somewhere near Pearl Harbor.

Chinaman say arrive next Monday..... ish.

Thanks for the unboxing data, and the photo's, and the video. :clapping:

Received the lamp a couple days ago. Well worth the $42.

Might be worth purchasing a timer switch of some sort. Those bulbs won’t last forever, and I’ve read the main isn’t gonna be easy to replace. So you don’t have to worry about leaving it on when it isn’t entertaining you.

With that Razorback “maw” behind it, really does look like a scene from a sci fi movie.

Be sure to post up your adventure.

The kicker is those caged lights, like the one in the photo with the built in (4) NPT base, are pretty rare.

I will do that.

Welp, I never had/made the time to visit any of the resale shops in my area so... this morning I started searching the Net for "Utility Light Safety Cage". Prices seemed to be all over the place and most of the cages were made of plastic.

Did a 2nd search, adding the word metal to the phrase. That gave me all kinds of metal cages, and most were wire frames. But, within the listing I found this (Amazon Listing).

A 3rd search for "THOMAS & BETTS/CARLON metal cage light" returned two different styles of the fixture with prices as high as $70, Yikes! There were a few eBay listings in the search, but having been burned a few times, as a buyer and seller, I was ignoring them until the "Brand New $34.99 w/ FAST 'N FREE Shipping" listing caught me eye.

eBay listing (Here).

It was the lowest reliable price on the Net I could find, the seller had a really good rating, the safety cage was not made of plastic, shipping was free and by using PayPal, I could do a PayPal "Pay-in-4" (oh look, hyphens). So I pulled the trigger...

The journey begins.

Welp, I never had/made the time to visit any of the resale shops in my area so... this morning I started searching the Net for "Utility Light Safety Cage". Prices seemed to be all over the place and most of the cages were made of plastic.

Did a 2nd search, adding the word metal to the phrase. That gave me all kinds of metal cages, and most were wire frames. But, within the listing I found this (Amazon Listing).

A 3rd search for "THOMAS & BETTS/CARLON metal cage light" returned two different styles of the fixture with prices as high as $70, Yikes! There were a few eBay listings in the search, but having been burned a few times, as a buyer and seller, I was ignoring them until the "Brand New $34.99 w/ FAST 'N FREE Shipping" listing caught me eye.

eBay listing (Here).

It was the lowest reliable price on the Net I could find, the seller had a really good rating, the safety cage was not made of plastic, shipping was free and by using PayPal, I could do a PayPal "Pay-in-4" (oh look, hyphens). So I pulled the trigger...

The journey begins.
Yep, that's a good price and it's perfect for the lamp. Now ya just need some black iron fittings, some electrical bits, and a timing gear.

I just ordered one online from Walmart. Hope someone gets a link of a replacement main bulb so if needed someday. I think I've seen some the flickering bulbs at Walmart.

Latest posts

Back