Starship Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m concerned about adding a shed load of weight though as it will need to be distributed at the front and rear of the ‘would be’ glider. How all that weight will affect stack performance is nagging, to say the least.

The stack as it is only shows an apogee of 99 metres on a C6-3.

Built up and balanced at the same % of OAL as @sr205347d ’s original, my glider wouldn’t stay up...

Add more weight? Might help...
If the CG is about right, you might want to add nose weight and tail weight simultaneously to keep the CG where it is to start, then add or remove weight from one end for final trim.

I’m concerned about adding a shed load of weight though as it will need to be distributed at the front and rear of the ‘would be’ glider. How all that weight will affect stack performance is nagging, to say the least.

The stack as it is only shows an apogee of 99 metres on a C6-3.
Well, that just means you need a D16 (-6?).

Here I am at my central Ohio rocket test range. I had to repair the Starship after a CATO when flying it for the grand kids. I also re-designed the booster with an extra fin and longer tube, so that there is no extra weight needed for boost stability.

The first flight was a bit of a nose dive, so I adjusted the CG aft. This is the second:

Here I am at my central Ohio rocket test range. I had to repair the Starship after a CATO when flying it for the grand kids. I also re-designed the booster with an extra fin and longer tube, so that there is no extra weight needed for boost stability.

The first flight was a bit of a nose dive, so I adjusted the CG aft. This is the second:

This is quite an incredible little discovery. I think. You ought kit the thing! I haven't ventured into boost gliders yet - over here in western Pennsyltucky we have many more hills and a bunch of trees. But I think it's just cool how you "accidentally" built a nice Starship glider! I'd be willing to try it as my first!

I'd be willing to try it as my first!
Here is my Rocksim file for the whole stack, Starship and booster.

The Starship part is a hollow shell, with nothing inside except the nose cone shoulder.

The booster has a coupler at the top to fit into the Starship for launch. I have a centering ring at the bottom of that coupler to act as a shelf to hold the parachute and wadding. The wadding is stuffed into the coupler, and the chute is stuffed into the starship. I am using a 24 inch plastic chute. Attach the shock cord however you want, but if you use a plywood centering ring, you could use a screw eye in that.

The CG for the Starship now sits at 6.5" from the aft end.

Also attached is the STL for the nose cone. I printed it with one perimeter (vase mode) of PLA.

Flies great on a D12-3.

Attachments

• Starship Glider Stack.rkt
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Starship Nose Cone.stl
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back