Starship Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr205347d

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing my Bellyflopper, a club member suggested doing a SpaceX Starship that would flop.

After a few tries, I decided that a scale Starship is just too short to do a good flop. Interestingly, it did a pretty good forward glide, considering the stubby little "wings."

As with all my rapid prototyping, the body tube and fins are covered with packing tape and hot-glued on. The nose cone is 3D printed, single perimeter, using PLA.

2024-01-28 14.30.52.jpg2024-01-28 14.31.19.jpg

Totally unexpected and fascinating that it glided -- and quite well! The aerodynamics behind how it does that would be intriguing.

I don't think that's what Elon had in mind, but that is awesome! The W&B looked perfect for gliding. Well done!

Frank, I know what you are thinking. Scale it up; use depron; add an RX and servos; and re-do your avatar photo.

Go for it!
I've had a couple if my big foam rockets have chute tangles and due to the large size snd light weight they sort of flew like that, my avatar stack didnt fire the ejection once at apogee and I was able to pull it out of the dive with the attached glider controls and get it level before it finally did fire🙄

I think this might be kit-able! Now all you have to do is come up with a 33 motor booster...

Seriously, though, I'd like to fly it. The grandkids haven't seen a boost glider yet, and that would be an unexpected outcome for them. "Oh no! No 'chute!"

Frank, I know what you are thinking. Scale it up; use depron; add an RX and servos; and re-do your avatar photo.

Go for it!
Not to derail, but the stack has similar flight properties to the model posted, the second flight is the one where I pull it out of a dive with the glider controls when the altimeter dudnt detect oeak for some reason, you'll see where it just hangs there for a second after the pullout and then the altimeter finally detects peak and fires. No damage to anything.
also used a coupler with a cap to push the glider off at ejection.

Last edited:
Not to derail, the second flight is the one where I pull it out of a dive with the glider controls, I also used a coupler to push the glider off at ejection. You'll see where it just hangs there for a second after the pullout and then the altimeter finally detects peak and fires. No damage to anything.
Since you already had R/C on board, did you ever consider using manual control of the ejection rather than an altimeter?

Since you already had R/C on board, did you ever consider using manual control of the ejection rather than an altimeter?
I had a bad experience with an e switch failing closed and firing a charge on the ground, I was going to use it for the airstart of the glider post ejection, and had too many switches to flip with control reversal etc so I didnt use air start for the first 12 flights and so went with the altimeter for the ejection, it worked as hoped on all but this one delayed event but maybe I would consider it again.

Last edited:
My glider has ended up very nose heavy, despite reusing a Bertha NC with the back cut out of it.

Scavenging through the parts bin for a cool way to add tail weight.

The current idea is to use a leftover CR and a short length of BT-20 as a carrier for clay. Slide it down the inside of the airframe and I should still be able to add small amounts of weight.

image.jpg

We’ll, I have to report with great disappointment that I can’t get the BT-60 downscale to glide.

Built up and balanced at the same % of OAL as @sr205347d ’s original, my glider wouldn’t stay up.

Or fly straight.

Or do anything pretty.

My feeling is that the downscale is so light (~20gm) that it simply doesn’t have the mass give its physical size to reproduce it’s larger sibling’s stable glide.

Add more weight? Might help.

Still, it makes an interesting nose cone. 🤔

Back