Starfire's OpenRocket Files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
At the suggestion of @K'Tesh I am sharing the OpenRocket files I have as I finish them. Special thanks to K'Tesh for his instruction and inspiration. Thanks to @neil_w for all the tutorials and assistance. Thanks to the Open Rocket development team and contributors. K'Tesh, Neil, you guys have done some awesome work!

Please use Starfire's OpenRocket Files Feedback Thread for feedback or questions regarding these sims.

Index:
Eradicator, Sirius Rocketry, S-0017
Starfire, SEMROC, KV-20
Talon, Original Design

I would also encourage you to check out some of these other awesome designs and information.
K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files Index
Cabernut's OpenRocket files thread
neil_w: Decals in OpenRocket: a not-so-quick and fairly complete tutorial

Last edited:
Notes: Cd override is set to .70. This appears to be a more accurate representation of expected altitudes. The ring fins were causing a calculated Cd of over 2.5, and this was causing extremely low altitudes in sim.

Special thanks to K'Tesh for the motor retainer. Awesome job!

Sirius Rocketry - Eradicator.png

Please use Starfire's OpenRocket Files Feedback Thread for feedback or questions regarding these sims.

Attachments

• Eradicator_Sirius Rocketry_S-0017.ork
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The Starfire, one of my all time favorites! I found a day glow green Starfire in my grandmother's tree 50 years ago (1973); hence the avatar. That was my first rocket. To celebrate my 50th year in rocketry I recently built one the way it might have looked stock, back then. I used the SEMROC retro-repro version - apparently it is no longer in production.

There are numerous variations of paint and graphics schemes, sometimes even in the same model year, so I went with the one I liked best. Some Centuri versions have the star band at the top of the body tube. The SEMROC face card shows it an inch or so down the body tube, which a) I don't care for, and b) left little room for the other decals.

Starfire_OR_3D Finished.png

Revised 3/1/23 (v 02):
> Re-do motor mount, motor overhang, launch lug - by Starfire73
> Fins, fins to transition, and screw eye re-worked - by H. Craig Miller

Attachments

• Starfire SEMROC KV-20_v02.ork
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Talon is an original design. It's a testbed rocket and built like a tank for multiple launches of D - F motors.

I kit bashed an Estes Olympus, and redesigned it with TTW plywood fins which were shaped to reduce fin impact on landing. It's loosely patterned after a mix of sounding rockets. I built this to test my Jolly Logic Chute Release, Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 (in the payload section), and Estes Universal Astrocam. I never fly this rocket without the camera so I included it as part of the rocket as that is how it is equipped.

Thanks again, K'Tesh for the motor retainer.

Talon_OR_3D Finished.png

Attachments

• Talon_Original_ds.ork
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The EZI-65 is a great rocket for Level 1 certification. It's the rocket I chose. I've included the paint scheme I went with - in beautiful Rustoleum, Maui Blue! I show the vent holes in the payload section for the Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 I use, and I included the Aero Pack 54 mm motor retainer. The rest is stock.

1678240306916.png

Attachments

• EZI-65_LOC PRECISION_PK-64.ork
    665.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
As soon as I finished building the Estes Rubicon (#2189), it instantly became one of my favorite rockets. What a beautiful rocket this is!

Note: I inlcuded a base vortex cone to check stability/CP. It is recommended you remove the base vortex when running sims to check altitude and motor delays.
Rubicon_3D Finished.png

I would also encourage you to stop by and view blog: Starfire's OpenRocket Files.

Attachments

• Rubicon_Estes 2189.ork
    240.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Attachments

• Aero Pack_RA54-54 mm Motor Retainer Assembly (Flange).ork
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Aero Pack_RA54L-54 mm Motor Retainer Assembly.ork
    5 KB · Views: 1
Estes Boosted Bertha #1946. I included a stock version and my own modified version (24 mm booster).

If you haven't built it yet, I highly recommend the 24 mm MOD for the booster. The C11-0, and D12-0 move it real nice off the pad, but in my opinion an 18 mm booster is way under powered. If you build the booster with an 18 mm MMT, you have a very high risk of it going horizontal off the pad.

Please use Starfire's OpenRocket Files Feedback Thread for feedback or questions regarding these renders.

STOCK - 18 mm Booster
Boosted Bertha_OR_3D Finished_Stock 18 mm.png

MOD - 24 mm Booster
Boosted Bertha_OR_3D Finished_MOD 24 mm.png

I would also encourage you to stop by and view my blog: Starfire's OpenRocket Files.

Attachments

• Boosted Bertha - Estes 1946 - MOD_24 mm.ork
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boosted Bertha - Estes 1946 - STOCK_18 mm.ork
    166.9 KB · Views: 0
This Estes Universal AstroCam was optimized for flight characteristics as opposed to appearance. The length and override mass are correct. The actual camera is shorter in height and wider; however, the circumference or area should be about the same. I got it as close as I could without being able to squish the parts down from a circle into an oval.

If you're curious... in OpenRocket it reduced my Boosted Bertha (24 mm Mod) on a D12-0/C6-5 combo, by about 200'. I had this placed 2" from the top of the sustainer BT. It's only .5 oz in weight, so it didn't effect the CG in OR. The CP was moved a little bit forward in OR, but nothing significant.
Estes Universal AstroCam (2208)_crop_3D Finished.png

Please use Starfire's OpenRocket Files Feedback Thread for feedback or questions regarding these renders.

I would also encourage you to stop by and view my blog: Starfire's OpenRocket Files.

Attachments

• Estes Universal AstroCam (2208).ork
    737 KB · Views: 0
Starfire is a favorite of mine too. I kitted it as well as flew my L1 cert on the upscale.

That's awesome! I've always dreamt of upscaling the Starfire, but not just bigger LPR. I've always wanted upscale it to a good Level 1 size as it sounds like you did.

Do you have any pics of it? Did you kit-bash something or go totally from scratch?

Steel Rain is a 1/3 semi-scale rocket patterned after the Lockheed-Martin, MGM-140 (M39), ATACMS, ground attack missile used by the US Army. It is fired from the MLRS and HIMARS launch systems. My son was in the Army National Guard on an MLRS crew. He carried the JDAM rockets and something similar to this MGM-140 ATACMS. Steel Rain is what the MLRS crews called this ground attack missile. It's name speaks for itself. This rocket is dedicated in honor of his service to our nation.

Steel Rain is a LOC/Precision, Warlock kit-bash. Slotted for four fins instead of three.

Steel Rain
Steel Rain - 3D Finished_Full Render.png

Attachments

• Steel Rain - (Starfire73).ork
    850.3 KB · Views: 0
Estes, Nike-X
Nike-X 3D Finsihed View_Screen Shot 02.png

This render is stock with one exception. I removed the engine hook and replaced it with an 18 mm motor retainer. Simply delete the motor retainer assembly if you would like the stock version. What can I say? I'm a motor retainer guy, so to me this model looks much better with the plastic motor retainer.

To see this and my other OpenRocket files, I would also encourage you to stop by and view my blog: Starfire's OpenRocket Files.

Attachments

• Nike-X - Estes 7259.ork
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
Rocketry Works, Payloader 24-56

What if the Union Pacific railroad got in to interplanetary shipping, and started shipping to Mars? What would their cargo carrying, Mars colonizing, payloader rocket look like?

Check out this custom graphics render of the Rocketry Works, Payloader 24-56, and find out!

Payloader - 3D Finished 02.png

To see this and my other OpenRocket files, I would also encourage you to stop by and view my blog: Starfire's OpenRocket Files.

Estes, Explorer Aquarius
(2016/7253)

The Explorer Aquarius needs no introduction... but I will say this; it's definitely on the "if I lost it I'd immediately replace it" list!

Explorer Aquarius_3D Finished View 01.png

Attachments

• Explorer Aquarius_3D Finished View 01.png
    Explorer Aquarius_3D Finished View 01.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Explorer Aquarius - Estes 2016_7253.ork
    531.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Star Crusher
A Starfire original design.

Star Crusher - 3D Finished View 02.pngStar Crusher - 3D Finished View 01.png

The Star Crusher was inspired by reading of Dark Jedi Kyp Durron's exploits in one of the most powerful super weapons ever devised - the Sun Crusher. This is what I imagined the weapon ship might look like well before any artwork for the Sun Crusher was released.

Attachments

• Star Crusher - Starfire Design.ork
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
LOC/Precision, Starburst
(PK-28)

Starburst_3D Finished 02.png

This was my first rocket from LOC (probably 15-20 years ago), and my first rocket venturing into upper mid-power. I was saddened to learn that LOC dropped it from production. Below is a pic from one of last year's launches on a pair of E26's. It's still flying!

Attachments

• 20221210_174033073_iOS_e.jpg
    20221210_174033073_iOS_e.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Starburst - LOC PK-28.ork
    380.3 KB · Views: 0
Bell X-1
A Starfire original design.

Bell X-1_3D Finished 01.png

I used a Goblin nose cone and body tube, some basswood, toothpicks, and LOTS of lead and epoxy! I have flown this and it flies great on a D12.

Attachments

• Bell X-1_Photo Studio 02.png
    Bell X-1_Photo Studio 02.png
    516.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bell X-1 - Starfire Design.ork
    437.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0006_scrn.jpg
    DSC_0006_scrn.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0008_scrn.jpg
    DSC_0008_scrn.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1968_scrn.JPG
    DSCN1968_scrn.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1969_scrn.JPG
    DSCN1969_scrn.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 0
The Rocketry Show
(Unknown Designer)

I'm a big fan of The Rocketry Show podcast and I've always wanted to do an OR render of The Rocketry Show podcast logo rocket. So, I finally buckled down and put something together. Maybe someone close to the show knows if this rocket has a name? Maybe the rocket noob @lcorinth, or one of the other guys (not sure what their TRF ID is)? If it doesn't have a name, maybe it's time to name 'er!

This render was a balance between performance and appearance. My intent was for the rocket to look as much like The Rocketry Show logo rocket as possible, while still having a proper flight sim in OpenRocket. Therefore the port hole was simmed as if it was a decal, rather than in 3D. Beyond that, I didn't get too technical with dimensions and ratios as compared to the logo, I just put together what looked good to me. Regardless, it was fun to do!

By the way... check out the podcast if you haven't already: The Rocketry Show

The Rocketry Show_3D Finished 01.pngThe Rocketry Show_Photo Studio 01.png

Attachments

• The Rocketry Show.ork
    350.1 KB · Views: 0
The Rocketry Show
(Unknown Designer)

I'm a big fan of The Rocketry Show podcast and I've always wanted to do an OR render of The Rocketry Show podcast logo rocket. So, I finally buckled down and put something together. Maybe someone close to the show knows if this rocket has a name? Maybe the rocket noob @lcorinth, or one of the other guys (not sure what their TRF ID is)? If it doesn't have a name, maybe it's time to name 'er!

This render was a balance between performance and appearance. My intent was for the rocket to look as much like The Rocketry Show logo rocket as possible, while still having a proper flight sim in OpenRocket. Therefore the port hole was simmed as if it was a decal, rather than in 3D. Beyond that, I didn't get too technical with dimensions and ratios as compared to the logo, I just put together what looked good to me. Regardless, it was fun to do!

By the way... check out the podcast if you haven't already: The Rocketry Show

View attachment 607100View attachment 607101

I really like this one. This could be a future 3D-printed test bed. It probably needs nose weight.

I really like this one. This could be a future 3D-printed test bed. It probably needs nose weight.
Yes, it has 8 oz. of nose weight in the sim. I also created a base vortex cone since it's a short fat rocket. That helps calculate the CP better, and results in it requiring less nose weight than it would otherwise.

Yes, it has 8 oz. of nose weight in the sim. I also created a base vortex cone since it's a short fat rocket. That helps calculate the CP better, and results in it requiring less nose weight than it would otherwise.
Note however that the tail cone shape *greatly* reduces base drag, so the standard base drag CP correction requires modification in such instances. However, I don't know exactly what the modification should be (would love to know if someone has a formula).

As such, I suspect your sim is a bit optimistic.

Latest posts

Back