Star Wars - Force Awakens (NO SPOILERS)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got tickets to see the new Star Wars movie tonight at 7:30. My 10 year old son and I are going and we're both very excited! We watched Episodes 4, 5, and 6 over the last couple of weeks with the final Return of the Jedi viewing just last night.

My plan is to arrive at the mall about 2 hours early to get in line and hang out with him. We'll eat theater food for dinner while sitting on the floor talking, cutting up, playing chess or other games on my phone, or if the crowd around us is fun maybe be entertained. I sure hope 2 hours is enough and we don't arrive to 200 people already in line.

I bought these tickets back near the beginning of November and was surprised that even though the official release date is tomorrow they're showing it tonight. I fully expected to be buying tickets for a 12:01 showing as I've done with all other very popular movies I wanted to see first and not hear spoilers before I got a chance to see it myself.

I'll post a review here tomorrow in very general terms and not release anything that I wouldn't want to read myself.

I'm going on Saturday and am mystified about how early I need to be there. I'm targeting 1 hour but am nervous it's not enough.

I saw Star Wars in 1977 on the second night in 70 mm (*awesome*) and I think that was about a 2 hour wait.

Very psyched for this one. Hope to wash the endlessly lingering bad taste of the prequel out of my system once and for all.

I bought reserved seats at a new luxe theatre near me. 10PM showing, seats H8 and H9. No need for lines. What a time we live in.

I am sitting in theatre now waiting for 7pm showing..WarnerR should be here soon to join me !

Kenny

(Buttons up Nomex coveralls) I could wait to see it. (Lowers protective visor)

I thought it was very well done! The story wasn't unnecessarily complicated like Ep 1-3 and seeing the older actors really made it feel like I'd hoped. In my opinion it's a welcome addition to the Star Wars movie line!!!

Saw it tonight. Dilemma.... 7 PM 2D or 8:30 PM 3D. Went for 3D. Bought the ticket the 2nd day tickets were sold, got my preferred ideal seat location, well-used for The Martian the last 2 months.

Theater was PACKED! A 15-screen theater, 8 of the screens showing Star Wars. The parking lot was overfilled, had to park hundreds of feet away. As the movie started with the Episode 7 scrolling text on screen, the audience applauded. Applause on other occasions when people/equipment from the first three movies appeared.

I thought it was very well done! The story wasn't unnecessarily complicated like Ep 1-3 and seeing the older actors really made it feel like I'd hoped. In my opinion it's a welcome addition to the Star Wars movie line!!!

I agree. The Eps 1-3 had way too much over-the-top special effects and often silliness for the sake of silliness. This felt more like the original three and I'm not referring to original characters/equipment in that regard.

There is a new CGI character that was VERY well done, the acting showed thru. The character is Maz Kanata, portrayed by Lupita Nyong’o using motion capture (image below, prepared for a motion capture acting session. The dots help computer/optical sensors detect facial expressions).

Something happened I thought might happen.

Pretty good overall. On a scale of 1-10, I give it an 8. The prequels, none made it above 5 for me.

- George Gassaway

5543ca99801ffcbc36b341a7_vanity-fair-star-wars-04.jpg

Last edited:
Well my son texted me last night, he thought it was "AWESOME." Me, I'll wait until I watch it on my home theatre (yes, I'm spoiled).

Biggest problem with waiting for later are the increasing odds of reading/hearing a spoiler.

If I was waiting for say a week, I'd stop reading the internetz...... just sayin'......

I say that too, as one of the victims of an idiot who spoiled Empire, and also an idiot "movie reviewer" of a local newspaper who spoiled Jedi by too-closely hinting at Vader's change, if not saying so outright. I can also recall in the case of Jedi, a major uproar at the time when some TV show, perhaps Good Morning America, was doing a LIVE interview with people who had seen it. Someone, perhaps a kid, when asked their favorite part, blabbed about Vader and the interviewer said something like "Ooops, I don't think you should have revealed that". Well, duh, I don't think the reporter warned anyone NOT to reveal any secrets.

Also, the movie "The Sixth Sense" was spoiled for me too. The massive thing the whole movie's foundation was built on that made it so special, ruined.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Maybe someone should start a different thread that allows spoilers. I'd love to talk about a few of the plot "holes" that seem to be obvious subjects of future movies.

Biggest problem with waiting for later are the increasing odds of reading/hearing a spoiler.

If I was waiting for say a week, I'd stop reading the internetz...... just sayin'......

+100 on this, George. That's why our family was all-in on the very first screening.

Non-spoiler comment on one of the new characters: Kylo Ren was everything that Anakin Skywalker was not, and a fantastic addition to the "Star Wars" universe!

I'll close by sharing a photo of my venerable old Estes/NCR X-wing fighter. This was the most fun I've ever had building from a kit!

James
IMG_1644.jpg

I'm going to see it Monday on an IMAX. Great to hear it is more in line with the originally released 3 movies and not the pre movies.

Non-spoiler comment on one of the new characters: Kylo Ren was everything that Anakin Skywalker was not, and a fantastic addition to the "Star Wars" universe!

Character, yes. Voice, yes. The actor......not so much for me.

I like Rey and Finn too, well cast, complex backgrounds we still do not know the full stories for. Was going to mention another new character, why I'm not commenting on that one, then realized what I was about to say would be a bit spoiler-ish and see no way other than not say anything. Others be careful of such unintended spoiler-clues.

I thought it was just ok.....I wasn't blown away, visually very good, new characters I liked, story for me was ok, predictable..I never felt any fear or angst....sort of like how I felt about the Martian....I really wanted to like it....but it was just ok. There wasnt' anything I hated in the movie...More of like a lightweight setup for the next movie.

I saw it today and really liked it. I like the new characters and actors (probably better actors than a lot of the original cast). It was good to see all the old characters as well.

Here's something a bit weird. We saw the movie in a local theater that I like to go to when seeing a popular movie, because it's not a very popular theater, and you can usually get a great seat without waiting in a long line. Just in case, we ordered the tickets a couple of weeks ago. Also we drive past the theater about an hour and 45 minutes before the showing to see if we needed to line up. We didn't see a line, so we went and had something to eat and came back a little less than an hour before the showing. We got right in and were maybe the 8th or 10th people into the screening room. But the weird thing was that about 5 of the people in front of use were trying to "save" about 40 of the best seats for a group from their work! I like to sit in the exact center (left and right), not on the edge, especially for 3D movies. This is why I bought tickets early and got to the theater early. When we got in, we saw a few seats with a paper "reserved" sign taped to the seat back, and a few people taping up more signs. We went past those and plunked down in some center seats and someone said, "Excuse me, those are reserved." We had a brief discussion about how some seats had a sign but these didn't, and they told me they had a big group coming and were trying to reserve all the center seats. That did not sit well with me, so I agreed to scoot over 2 seats, but no further. It really pissed me off to watch these people shooing away other customers who actually went through the effort to get there early. The bulk of their group showed up maybe 10 minutes before showtime and took the seats that were saved. but it turned out they didn't even fill all the seats they had saved, and the rest of the theater wasn't full either. To me, that was really rude. I kind of wished I had said more than I did.

Just got out and I feel very pleased. I don't think you could ask for much more. The effects, the sets, the cinematography, it all fit perfectly with the originals. It felt like a piece of the originals that I just hadn't gotten around to seeing until now.

The prequels just got owned, and seem that much worse. If it is even possible.

Now the legend and hype and all that, the film pretty much lives up, as much as it is possible to do so, this day in age. As always, the sum is greater than the parts, and the originals, as loved as they are, were not objectively phenomenal pieces of cinema. They just had that X factor...

It really pissed me off to watch these people shooing away other customers who actually went through the effort to get there early. The bulk of their group showed up maybe 10 minutes before showtime and took the seats that were saved. but it turned out they didn't even fill all the seats they had saved, and the rest of the theater wasn't full either. To me, that was really rude. I kind of wished I had said more than I did.[/QUOTE]

That's one reason I'm waiting to see it. I don't want lines, or crowds, or silly fan boy ass-hattery...I'm gonna pick a weekday matinee when the theater is less full.

. When we got in, we saw a few seats with a paper "reserved" sign taped to the seat back, and a few people taping up more signs. We went past those and plunked down in some center seats and someone said, "Excuse me, those are reserved." We had a brief discussion about how some seats had a sign but these didn't, and they told me they had a big group coming and were trying to reserve all the center seats. That did not sit well with me, so I agreed to scoot over 2 seats, but no further. It really pissed me off to watch these people shooing away other customers who actually went through the effort to get there early.\
If it was me, I'd have sat where I wanted to sit, and tell them to get the theater manager if they did not like it. I presume these people were just doing their own thing, WITHOUT approval from the theater manager to be doing that. If there HAD been approval by the manager to do that.... I'd have sent a formal complaint to the theater chain headquarters.

This is why I'm so glad that the two theater chains I go to, have reserved seating. On the second day that tickets could be bought, I got mine and good old seat D10 was available (dead center and ideal viewing distance for me). No rush, no big deal with crowds other than the parking. Well, when the movie ended and the credits began to roll, I did leave quickly to get to the bathroom before most of the crowd did. So glad I did since 2 minutes later there was a long line, growing by the second. As it was, I didn't drink anything for 6 hours before seeing the movie, no food 9 hours before seeing the movie. Quite a nice post-movie dinner after...

- George Gassaway

8XAbWuZ.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back.
IMHO this one will stand up there with the original SW films (the 1970's ones).
Still can't figure out how Voldemort got a role in a Star Wars film though. The role does suit him.

The theater where I went transitioned to electric reclining seats and numbered/reserved seats. Surprisingly it's still in the $9-11 range. In one way it's kind of a bummer if you're out and spontaneously want to go to a recent release movie. At that place, you're not going to get a good seat, even if you're an hour or more before showtime. I think the good outweighs the bad though.

In general admission situations, I think 2 seats saved per person remaining is a good rule of thumb, or else the old coat on a seat. Try to save many more and you've entered the d-bag zone. There is a very easy way to get a large block of seats together. Have the entire group get there in time to do so.

I loved it. After the debacle that was E1-3, I was very nervous about this movie. I was very happy with the results - especially that it had a bit of a campy/doesn't take itself too seriously tone. The worst part was the two stoners that sat next to us. They snuck in 20 minutes into the movie and made Chewbacca and droid sounds for an hour. ROAR!!!!Beep beep boopboop. Eventualy they fell alseep after consuming what looked like 15 pounds of gummy candy.

Seat saving: Generally against it. Exception for someone who goes into the theater to get seats while member of same party gets snacks in the lobby. Say, ~5 minute grace period, one or two seats per party.

Anything else is just bogus. I'd sit where I wanted unless it was reserved BY THE THEATER.

Marc

Last edited:
I've now heard that the last two words at the end of the credits were just "Bad Robot". Disappointed.

Back