STAR TREK or star wars

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick'em folks; STAR TREK or star wars

• STAR TREK

• star wars

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Truth About What Went Wrong With The Third Season Of Star Trek

"The original Star Trek was a revolutionary television show... that came to an ignominious end. The classic space opera saw a huge drop in quality in its final season, and then was cancelled. Legend has it the ratings were terrible, and the new producer, Fred Freiberger, ruined it. But the truth is a bit more complicated.

The third volume in Mark Cushman's essential These Are The Voyages series of books about the making of Star Trek is out, covering the third and final season. And it's a fascinating inside look at a TV show that's coming apart at the seams, due to a variety of factors."

https://io9.com/the-truth-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-third-season-o-1684057419

I am K'Tesh! Son of K'Raig! I was the host of K'Tesh's Klingon Recipe Pages until the destruction of the Geocities homeworld.

Long Live the Klingon Empire!
Qapla!

I lost a bunch of cool stuff when the Geocities homeworld was destroyed. RIP cool stuff.

I like chocolate ice cream. I also like Club sandwiches. They are totally different. I like them for completely different reasons.

The same applies to SW and ST.

I vote both.

I didn't vote in the poll as I like them both.

I agree that a lot of Roddenberry's futuristic ideals seem difficult to imagine. Getting rid of money seems to be one of the big ones to me. How do you place value on getting stuff done if you don't use money or an equivalent? It may be possible, but I don't see an obvious way to do it. Then again, would many people imagine a black president some 50 years after Trek? Love our current president or hate him, did those of us alive back then believe a black man could be elected president in our lifetimes? Even in the enlightened future of Star Trek Lt. Uhura never got command when Kirk left the bridge. One of the ensigns always took over even though she outranked them. Oops!

Ohhh, now I get it. I always thought they were saying "last, best hope for peas...." And I always wondered, chick peas? Green peas? Sweet peas? Snow peas? Black-eyed peas?

Funny and ironic you would use the term space western to slam Star Wars.

Gene Roddenberry quite literally sold Star Trek to NBC as "Wagon Train to the Stars" (Wagon Train was a popular Western in the mid 60's).

And in one of the "not so good" episodes, there was THIS. Uggh.... (I liked the show, but episodes like that made me cringe. It was a season-3 episode. Gene Roddenberry had quit the show before season 3 when NBC put it into a death timeslot at 10 PM on Friday nights).

- George Gassaway

I always loved that episode as a kid! What can be better than combining a Western with Sci-Fi? I was in heaven. I even started using Star Trek dolls with my Johnny West dolls. :wink:

Ohhh, now I get it. I always thought they were saying "last, best hope for peas...." And I always wondered, chick peas? Green peas? Sweet peas? Snow peas? Black-eyed peas?

What about whirled peas? I hear they're hard to visualize.

Has anyone been to a Star Trek/ Star Wars convention? I've heard lots of horror stories about Star Trek conventions but not so much Star Wars conventions. How was your experience between the both.

There really isn't such a thing as a 'Star Wars' convention other then the 'Star Wars Celebrations', of which there have only been 8 since 1999. Star Trek conventions on the other hand tend to be at least once a year (if not more), somewhere since 1972. That's probably why you've heard more about them.

Having said that, SF&F conventions, comic cons, etc have had more than their share of ST/SW stuff in them anyway. You almost can't go to one without seeing a cosplayer in ST/SW gear somewhere.

FC

Back