• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Stainless Steel Blast Deflectors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wps63

Reaction score
Hi All

I need your help. I am looking for someone who makes custom Blast Deflectors. I would like a 8" round stainless steel with a 3/8" I.D. hole.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Check out the Vatsaas brother's website: www.vatsaas.org/rtv.

I bought a 9" deflector from Rick Vatsaas for $15 and he did a fine job. It's about 1/4" thick and VERY strong. He makes them from scrap steel at his workplace. Don't know how many he might have left but it's worth a try.

Stainless steel plates are more like reflectors at times than deflectors. You might want to try making your own ablative blast deflector out of cement or floor leveler. See my article that describes how to make them on page 8 of the January-February 1999 edition of the Leading Edge at:

https://www.nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/JanFeb99.pdf

You can even make these home molded deflectors stronger by incorporating fiberglass drywall mesh tape into the part. I still have and use the fluted deflector that I cast from bottom of a three liter soda bottle over 5 years ago.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Hmm... I wonder how old AOL CDs would do as ablative deflectors. Anyone ever try old CDs?

I am just getting into rocketry again after 30 years and have found this forum to be tremendous! I also learned that I am a BAR. Took me awhile to figure out what that was.
I just completed my launch pad and was looking around for some tin or sheet metal to make a blast deflector out of. While cleaning the gargage this weekend I tossed an old 14" chop saw blade into the trash. Suddenly I realized what a great blast deflector it would make. I took it out of the trash and installed it onto my launch pad. Looks to me like it should work very well. Maybe not as pretty as stainless steel but functional.

Back