Sampo Falconry ball bearing swivels

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightme43

It's much later than it seems.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I went looking for high quality, strong stainless steel swivels. It seemed to be that Sampo is way up there near the top in quality. So I drove to Cabelas. Nope, nothing in a useful size. Started searching, everywhere is crazy high. I found on complete accident that Falconers use very strong swivels and that Sampo seemed to be the best again.

They have them made special with a 1/2" welded ring, and keeping the 500 pound load rating.

But they want 7 something each plus shipping. I will only need a few, and with shipping I would pay 23 dollars for two. I found them on Sampo's overstock and have 50 something in a dozen.

I plan to send a couple to someone who helped me.

I am going to post a few for sale in the for sale forum, but I wanted to show them off.

This is last piece I needed for my Wolverine 2.6.

They are pretty danged cool!

They swivel with just a gliding on ice feeling. Smooth as silk.

Attachments

• 20231002_195715.jpg
    20231002_195715.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231002_195813.jpg
    20231002_195813.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231002_195824.jpg
    20231002_195824.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
@Wrightme43 --

I don't know how AMYSPORTS Ball Bearing Swivels Connector High Strength Stainless Steel Solid Welded Rings Barrel Swivels Saltwater Freshwater Fishing compare to Sampo but I've been using 'stainless steel saltwater ball bearing swivels for a while now on up to 4-inch rockets at about 5 Kg with no issues.

These are 25 in an order for $26.99 at Amazon ...

-- kjh

p.s. I believe I've got a few smaller Sampo Swivels in my range box and never had any problems with them either.

EDIT: I couldn't stop digging for Sampo brand and found these: Dr.Fish Stainless Steel Fishing Heavy Swivels -- they're interesting. I am going to try some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure Fleet Farm has the same thing in the fishing isle for a couple bucks.
Yes Sir, they may very well have them. I have never been to one, we don't have those stores around where I live. I think if they are that cheap, it is probably not stainless true ball bearing in that size and weight rating, with 1/2" welded stainless rings though. I have been wrong so many times in my life, if I am again I would not be surprised at all. LOL.

@Wrightme43 --

I don't know how AMYSPORTS Ball Bearing Swivels Connector High Strength Stainless Steel Solid Welded Rings Barrel Swivels Saltwater Freshwater Fishing compare to Sampo but I've been using 'stainless steel saltwater ball bearing swivels for a while now on up to 4-inch rockets at about 5 Kg with no issues.

-- kjh

p.s. I believe I've got a few smaller Sampo Swivels in my range box and never had any problems with them either.

EDIT: I couldn't stop digging for Sampo brand and found these: Dr.Fish Stainless Steel Fishing Heavy Swivels -- they're interesting. I am going to try some.
Amysports was the other company I looked at, they are heavily represented on Amazon. They are obviously made in China, and may very well actually be better. It is just hard to know what you are actually getting.

@Wrightme43 --

Yes, I do like swivels on one end of my shock cord in small and mid-sized rockets.

But the unsavory country of origin of those AMYSports kept me digging for the Sampos that you found.

The Dr. Fish Big Game Fishing Saltwater Swivels are also made in China but the design is interesting and I want to fondle those little beauties.

I ordered a 10-pack of the 550 lb and also a 10-pack of their conventional #4 ( 0.92 x 0.21 - 200 lb ) Ball Bearing Swivels to take a look.

-- kjh

@Wrightme43 --

Yes, I do like swivels on one end of my shock cord in small and mid-sized rockets.

But the unsavory country of origin of those AMYSports kept me digging for the Sampos that you found.

The Dr. Fish Big Game Fishing Saltwater Swivels are also made in China but the design is interesting and I want to fondle those little beauties.

I ordered a 10-pack of the 550 lb and also a 10-pack of their conventional #4 ( 0.92 x 0.21 - 200 lb ) Ball Bearing Swivels to take a look.

-- kjh
There was a rocket kit company that was using those inline swivels ..it might have been Bad azz rockets?..one end was pinned on the backside of a bulk plate IIRC (and I'm using IIRC more and more these days)
anyway be careful what you fondle.

Tony

Reviews are less than favorable:
"So, these are beautiful... I am using them for hanging some garden art that consists of a glass sphere in an aluminum spiral. The overall weight of the unit is 6 oz and the weight of the piece locks the swivel into place and make it so the monofilament that is being used to hang the unit starts to spin on itself and hypercoil. I will try lubricating them, but for now, their performance is inadequate for this light load, let alone the 190lb load that it claims."

"The goods arrived quickly. The bearing spinning is rough not smooth and the gap between two halves will allow a lot of contaminants between halves."

"I used this product on a front yard spinning ornament, which weighs less than a half pound. The first swivel I used from my tackle box, #20, broke. I bought these, and the first wind storm caused this product to unscrew. Run away! These look good but will let your big fish off the hook."

Ok, you guys don't know me real well yet. I am not crazy, just really wierd.

We have a strain gauge that we use with a forklift to test the load sensors on the new style aerial boom lifts. They are designed to cut out if overloaded. The customers complain, but the design idea is to prevent them from killing themselves. I kept one swivel at my desk. I plan to test it to deformation, and to destruction. I will set up my phone so it records it.

I can pull untill my fingers hurt, and it still swivels like silk under tension.

I wanna see what happens when it is loaded to what it is rated for. If it survives, then the stainless quicklink, or the nose cone will fail first. The kevlar is rated just goofy high, so I don't think I need to worry about it.

More information to follow.

Steve

Reviews are less than favorable:
"So, these are beautiful... I am using them for hanging some garden art that consists of a glass sphere in an aluminum spiral. The overall weight of the unit is 6 oz and the weight of the piece locks the swivel into place and make it so the monofilament that is being used to hang the unit starts to spin on itself and hypercoil. I will try lubricating them, but for now, their performance is inadequate for this light load, let alone the 190lb load that it claims."

"The goods arrived quickly. The bearing spinning is rough not smooth and the gap between two halves will allow a lot of contaminants between halves."

"I used this product on a front yard spinning ornament, which weighs less than a half pound. The first swivel I used from my tackle box, #20, broke. I bought these, and the first wind storm caused this product to unscrew. Run away! These look good but will let your big fish off the hook."
Thanks @Hobie1dog

Thinking more about the Dr Fish design ... I wonder now if the rigid design of these swivels might make them more prone to hang up in the airframe compared to the swivels with the welded rings that pivot like the Sampo swivels that @Wrightme43 showed above ?

drfish-swivels-61uRhm53CmL._AC_SX679_.jpg
I am going to go ahead and order a 10-pack bag of 550 lb ( $9.99 ) and one of the 265 lb ( $8.49 ) swivels with my next Amazon order.

I'll see how well they swivel ... I figure if I can get a few good ones from a 10-pack, I am still ahead on cost :)

More importantly,, I'll also see whether this design is more prone to wedge in a small diameter airframe.

-- kjh

EDIT: Installing these in the AV-Bay bulkheads as @tfish mentioned is an interesting idea too and might be worth exploring ...

The wind on style above will be much less likely to tangle, we always had to check an make sure the end rings were not folded back before setting them out trolling. They do not work properly when the end ring is folded over, an no they don"t straighten themself out when folded over.

@Wrightme43 --

-- kjh

I have used both of these also. Dr. Fish are also good ones.

I sell these for less than anywhere else you can buy them..
And I drive them to launches for you..
I sell the 500 lb ball bearing swivels for $5.
I sell the heavier 1500 lb swivel that's so big you can fit a 3/16" quick link through it for $7..
Why would you buy them from some online Dr Fish ??

http://onebadhawk.com/stainless-steel-swivels.html
Teddy

Thats a great price. Especially since you make harnesses as well.

If I had known you had them I would of probably ordered from you.

Scott, from Dragonworks made the Harness for both my Wolverine, and my Nike Smoke 4"

He didn't carry swivels, I bought a 30" parachute from him, but he was out of the chute size I wanted for the Smoke. I ordered a 60" military surplus flare parachute for it.

I sure don't mean to step on the sponsors toes. You guys are great. I will check out your store too. I just wanted a 500lb rated, stainless swivel, in super high quality, with extra large rings.

The few I wanna sell out of this one 12 pack, is just to get my cost all in back below what it was going to be for 2 of them shipped elsewhere.

To add value, I will test one to deformation, and destruction with a digital strain gauge this afternoon on video.

Again, it is never my intention to cause problems, I only want solutions, and to be a friend, so I can make new friends.

Thank you for posting what you have, I like how you attached them to a board so I can see relative sizes, and strengths. That adds value, and makes it easier to decide. Also that you would attach what I want to my harness, where I want it, is a great idea!

Thank you!
Steve

I sell these for less than anywhere else you can buy them..
And I drive them to launches for you..
I sell the 500 lb ball bearing swivels for $5.
I sell the heavier 1500 lb swivel that's so big you can fit a 3/16" quick link through it for $7..
Why would you buy them from some online Dr Fish ??

http://onebadhawk.com/stainless-steel-swivels.html
Teddy
Very nice Teddy !

If I had only known ...

One question: There is a picture of your swivels with a box cutter and in that picture is a swivel like the ones I pictured above:

drfish-swivels-61uRhm53CmL._AC_SX679_.jpg

What are the specs on that swivel ?

Next time !

Thanks for the great info !

-- kjh

EDIT: p.s. I just now 'found' your "5/16" Polished Stainless Steel Eye-- Male" on your website -- nice !

Last edited:
I have pulled apart quite a number of these "cylindrical swivels" regardless of what the descriptions say. Not 1 has ball bearings. Even ones that did spin easily. They just have enlarged area in a pocket behind a necked down area. All of them are bronze/brass/ etc. The silver ones are plated (zinc or nickel not stainless). [Could be some I haven't tested yet, but just be cautious.]

I do use them on LPR where shock loads have less energy, and they do snag on things less.

20231005_090611.jpg20231005_091455.jpg

I have some of the AMYSPORTS 507lb swivels too. I like the large rings, their easy to harness to, or fit a small quick link.... but again read the descriptions carefully. The rings are a mildly magnetic Stainless, and they DO have stainless balls inside. BUT the body section is a Bronze Alloy. If you shock load them enough, the Stainless balls will indent the bronze. Then they have a rough rotation till it wears down a little.

Speaking of rough. When I first got them some turned really good, some had some mild roughness. I found that the oil/grease they use, has some fine contamination. I flush all them in solvent (Denatured Alcohol) and the dry with compressed air. Then a little bit of Tri-Flow lubricating spray with PTFE. A couple days later 1-drop of 3-in-1 oil; and they are VERY smooth turning for a LONG time.

20231005_094112.jpg20231005_090539.jpg

Testing to failure with a slowly applied load will give you different results than shock loading.

I test to failure, then use 1/5 or 1/10 of that applied as shock load by dropping 1ft or 3ft or ... then test swivel action.

[See if you can confirm 1/10 load dropped 1ft with kevlar cord, no effect. 1/5 load dropped 3ft with kevlar cord, will indent the balls into the body and give rough motion. If my memory is right.]

They can say 500lbs, but that is not true. I expect its fine for lp and mp.

Attachments

• 20231005_171204.jpg
    20231005_171204.jpg
  • 20231005_171448.jpg
    20231005_171448.jpg
    953 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_171437.jpg
    20231005_171437.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_171432.jpg
    20231005_171432.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_171427.jpg
    20231005_171427.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 0
Much slower increasing tension broken at 242 lbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005-174534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-174534_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20231005-174615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-174615_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20231005-174623_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-174623_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20231005-174636_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-174636_Gallery.jpg
After examining website I believe I was shipped 3401-5D instead of 3401-8D or I ordered in error.

If so, these failed right where they should of. If these are 8D then they failed way early.

Here is a 4 minute video to 242 lbs. I have written Sampo, and possibility I ordered the wrong thing, or I was shipped the wrong thing, or it was mis-packaged, or mis-labeled.

The 5 series is supposed to fail at 200lbs. The 8 series at 500lbs.

I will update more as I know more.

Back