Son's Latest Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
My son, had 2 flight tests of his newest scratch build. He has named it the Intrepid.

It is a BT-80 based 3 cluster 24mm about 40 inches long. Style is of a rocket plane.

Flight 1: 3 D12-5s, estimated altitude of 700 feet, good flight, but did arc over a bit. A D12-3 may be better suited.

Flight 2: 3 E9-4s, estimated altitude 1000 feet, good flight again, but arc'd even more...in air for 54 secs, landed inside a canal...but good news is the water grass kept it out of the water. Again, too much of a delay.

So flight tests have verified the rocksim fairly well...need to restrict it to 3 D12-3's

Here is his pride and joy...next is some paint.

That is a sweet looking bird!!! I can't wait to see it in paint....

P.S. Thanks for the awesome pics! They are hanging on the wall right above my desk! AWESOME!!

Originally posted by Bohica
..........P.S. Thanks for the awesome pics! They are hanging on the wall right above my desk! AWESOME!!

Gerald, Thank you too....installed the baffle into my OBV-003 yesterday...hope to give it a try next weekend.

-Carl-

Wow, that is a nice looking rocket!

It reminds me of the B-58.

Hmm, make those wings about 500 in sq and add another elevator and youd basically end up with my old EconoGlider design, which Brianc and Robb should remember from that May 06 ROCK launch I attended.

Gotta make it back up there sometime............

Originally posted by AstronMike
Hmm, make those wings about 500 in sq and add another elevator and youd basically end up with my old EconoGlider design, which Brianc and Robb should remember from that May 06 ROCK launch I attended.

Gotta make it back up there sometime............

WOW, we were there....not for the whole day...and we were just starting to get to know the folks at ROCK. Must have missed it..:( ..I would have remembered that!

-Delta-IV-

Originally posted by welder123
hey new to this sight cool rocket can't wait to see paint on it

Let me be the first to welcome you to this forum...you will find answers, ideas, great photos....and very helpful people here.

:D :D :D :D

My Intrepid rocket launch video on youtube.com

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yVavOO42GRE

My 2nd Flight of my Intrepid Rocket will be uploaded on the 14th of Feb. It took about 2 hours to retrieve my rocket. It went into a ditch that had some water in it. Luckily, the rocket was caught by the brush in the ditch. Only Minor damage!

Originally posted by Bohica
That is a sweet looking bird!!! I can't wait to see it in paint....

Jason (IndianaSpeed) and I went to NEFAR in Bunnel Florida for the launch of the painted Intrepid.......looked good...but as you will see in the next few posts....things don't always go the way its planned...only 2 of the 3 D12's ignited...not enough "margin" for a sucessful flight.

Originally posted by Delta-IV
On the ground photo......well it can be repaired......

I like the one motor with a fresh igniter in it that tells the whole story!:(

I gotta say I love the USAF Thunderbirds inspired paint job. Awesome looking rocket.

The paint and detailing job on that is *awesome* to say the least!!

Of course, my idea of 'detailing' is how much tape and paper clips I end up using on my stuff at launch time......

Jason has pretty much completed the rebuild...below is his handy work....next back to the paint booth.

Perhaps the April NEFAR Launch will have much more happier results.......;)

Back