So who's an Eagle Scout?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of merit badges - what was the coolest one you earned? For me it would have to be Aviation. In addition to building and flying a stick and paper model airplane, we actually got to fly. You didn't actually have to fly for the merit badge, but the dad who councilled the merit badge was a doctor who owned his own small airplane. One of the coolest things was that our troop attended the National Jamboree in Pennsylvania that year, and while the majority of the boys rode in cars or the troop bus, those of us in the Aviation Merit Badge group got to fly to the Jamboree in a Twin Beech! Needless to say, the rest of the guys were pretty envious, but we got over it! :p

Congratulations, Bryce. As was said before, Eagle Scout is one of the very few accomplishments from adolescence that will prove most valuable in later days. I believe that my Eagle (1978 - 3 months after my 14th birthday) has taken me as far as anything else I could have done, other than winning Olympic Gold. Being an Eagle gives you the special feeling of having done something that only a few percent of Scouts have done, and is doubly special when you think that most of our youth are only concerned with miscellania (passing grades, the opposite sex, video games, hanging out, etc.), and don't have the ambition or persistance to become a Scout in the first place.

I am OA Brotherhood (1978), crossed palms (62 merit badges - oddly enough, I never finished Space Exploration), Troop Leader Development (now NYLT). I never made it to Philmont or Woodbadge (we lived in Germany).

You rock, man.

Thanks a lot.

One quick question. What does the term "Crossed Palms" mean?

Is that two palms?

Thanks for the congrats

Bryce

Sorry. Two silver palms. Would have been 2 silver and a bronze, but I earned my last 8 merit badges shortly before I turned 18, and didn't have the three months needed.

Congrats bandman!

Eagle scout here, 2 palms, order of the arrow, god and life

Last edited:
Speaking of merit badges - what was the coolest one you earned? For me it would have to be Aviation. In addition to building and flying a stick and paper model airplane, we actually got to fly. You didn't actually have to fly for the merit badge, but the dad who councilled the merit badge was a doctor who owned his own small airplane. One of the coolest things was that our troop attended the National Jamboree in Pennsylvania that year, and while the majority of the boys rode in cars or the troop bus, those of us in the Aviation Merit Badge group got to fly to the Jamboree in a Twin Beech! Needless to say, the rest of the guys were pretty envious, but we got over it! :p
None of my three could be described as "cool." Being cool wasn't the point and it never entered into the equation. No one that I knew ever talked about any of their merit badges as being "cool." My Archery badge was the easiest to earn, because I had already been doing that for years at that point, so I was pretty decently proficient in it and knowledgeable about it. Swimming was the most physically grueling; I have never been a strong swimmer. Architecture was the most aggravating because I had to track down a lot of information that was difficult to locate and then get access to, since I was too young to drive.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone in Scouting who actually tracked their cumulative nights spent camping. Is there a particular reason in the program now for doing this? . . . But it seems like there is very little that I recognize in the current organization, based on the things that I am seeing here. I'm just really curious about how the old organization has changed over the years, which is why I've been asking so many questions. I don't want to tie up too much space on this thread, though.

I was a scout then, and am an adult (scouter) now, so that may color my perceptions, but I think fundamentally they are very similar. Things can vary a lot by troop, and within a troop by the quality of adult leadership. Then and now there is an emphasis on being boy led, outdoor activity, high adventure (longer, more challenging outdoor experiences) and development of moral and leadership skills. There is more competition for boys, because boys have more things to do now than in the past, and for boys that participate, there is more competition for their time. And there are a greater variety of activities, both high adventure and in merit badges, but that is because there are a lot more things available today. From the activities that my sons participate in scouting is unique in its emphasis on being boy led as a means to developing leadership skills.

A change for the worse, that is a reflection of the population at large, is that I see more and more morbidly obese leaders. Somehow this doesn't comport with "to keep myself physically fit". As another adult leader in our troop said, "if we're going to ignore that part of the Oath for leaders, what should we do next."?

And, as with any organization, and especially volunteer organizations, the quality of a particular unit is very dependent on the leadership, and too often volunteers are in it for themselves and their egos, and not for what is best for the scouts.

Well if no one else will answer Mark-II's questions I give them a go:

The Eagle Court of Honor: is a very special presentation of the New Eagles awards, including the Eagle Metal, Square knot patch and is usually presided over by the District Scout Executive rather then the Scoutmaster & Troop committee.

The Eagle Plam system has been around almost as long as scouting the the USA. My Scoutmaster (T-364) some 21+ years older then I, is an Eagle with a Gold Palm. He set the standard to which I aspired.

We (T-364) & Later my troop T-341 were Outdoor active Troops, not focused on anything other then inspiring young men to "Do their Best and do a good turn daily. Rank and achievements not nearly as important is learning self reliance,Hiking and Camping outdoors and having some FUN!
We scheduling at least one Hike and one Camp-out a month year round, ALL Weather, as well as being active in whatever the Scout District had on tap, Camporee's, Field days, Scout Expo's, Summer Camp... what-have-you.

Many Scouts and Scouters keep a running totals of days & Nights of camping, Miles hiked, High Adventure experinces and so forth.. 825 nights for me... it is just something we do. Guess it's where I got in the habbit of logging Mod-Roc flights as well.

Order of the Arrow is a Service group of Honor Scout Campers.
To gain membership each Scout had to be First Class or higher, have at least 21 days and nights of camping, and be voted to undergo the Ordeal for membership from within their own troop. If and not all scouts make it through the ordeal weekend. you become a member of your regions OA Lodge. The OA hold many opportunities for Scouts to Serve others in the community and scouting. As you grow in sevice and after a given length of time you can again be voted into attending a second ordeal of sorts to learn more and if successful with your contiued service obtain "Brotherhood" status.

The Diamond Jamboree was the 75th anniversary of the founding of the BSA in the US. Scouts & Troops from the USA & around the world came together to celibrate the birthday at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia. It was a Super time for fellowship and Trading Skills and Patches from All 50 states & Scouting from around the world.
A special commerative Patich with rockers was designed for ALL troops to earn and display. I can't recall the number of different activity patches that were available along with the Red.white & blue Diamond Jamboree patch with rockers but it was a handful. Lots of Great things to join in during the entire year.

God & Country metals have been available from all faiths, for many many years, They were standards long before I joined. Requirement are layed out in the standard "requirements" pamphlet available everywhere.

Ealge Plams are earned in reconition of Additional Merit badges earned beyond the required 21 for eagle and Service to the troop and/or scouting by a time requirement. first extra 5 = Bronze, next 5 (10 total) = Gold, next 5 (15 total )= Silver. beyond that you add an additional palm to the Eagle Metal and Square knot. 20 = Silver + Bronze etc.

Finally: Woodbage: Woodbadge has been discribed as Scout College. It is the most intense and inclusive course of Scout leader training there is. It incompasses all aspects of Scouting; Physical, Mental and Spirital. Shows these adult Leaders all the basic skills needed and how teamwork happens along with why the patrol method isn't a way of teaching young men...it's the only way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I was struck by all of the formality and ceremony that was mentioned, none of which I was familiar with, but looking back I think I understand why. In my first Scout troop, the membership was very young. We had all moved up from Cub Scouts together (Baby Boomers had big cohorts) so there wasn't much depth in the troop. We were all Tenderfeet. The second troop had only been organized a few years earlier. It explains why we didn't have any of the formal arrangements and traditions that have been described.

Last edited:
It has been a while coming, but yesterday I got a call from National letting me know that I was the newest Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout.

Cool.

Who else here is an Eagle Scout?

I am still 17 and have time for 2 Eagle Palms, I have over 210 night camping with my troop, and have had the pleasure of attend Philmont Scout Ranch twice. (Once as Crew Leader). I am also the scout in charge of our council's NYLT Course (National Youth Leadership Training) for a week in August.

Bryce

I just realized I had never congratulated you. And congratulations on being scout in charge of your council's NYLT course, and doing high adventure. Doings things over and beyond earning Eagle that helps others (like the NYLT work) show true Eagle spirit, and is, long term, a lot more important than 21+ merit badges.

Congratulations Bandman! What a great achievement!

My cousin went all the way through Scouts, then stopped two merit badges and an Eagle Scout project short of making it. He's 60 years old now and I'm pretty sure his parents never forgave him. ;)

Thank you guys for the many kind words.

"Being" an Eagle Scout never meant earning the badge to me. It was a character and attitude change that is reflected it the hobbies and ventures I pursue.

Thanks again.

Bryce

Congratulations on earning Eagle. I got as far as Life, with over 40 merit badges and Order of the Arrow, but I earned my Life rank with too little time before I turned 18 to get Eagle. I joined Scouting for the outdoors experiences. Still enjoy camping; been a few decades since I was involved in Scouting.

Congratulations on earning Eagle. I made it as far as Star before soccer, marching band, and a host of other things got in the way. I was also OA, and am the new cub scout Wolf den leader for my son's pack. We just got back from his first summer camp! :cool:

Congratulations on earning Eagle. I made it as far as Star before soccer, marching band, and a host of other things got in the way. I was also OA, and am the new cub scout Wolf den leader for my son's pack. We just got back from his first summer camp! :cool:

Marching Band...sounds like another thread to start.

I found this post while searching to see if a separate topic had been addressed (link incoming once it’s up [EDIT: Link here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/scout-rockets.171833/ ]).

I earned Eagle in 2013. Prior to that I had been in Scouting since joining as a Tiger Cub around 2001. I didn’t realize it at the time but my Scouting experience gave me useful skills and much-needed character development, and it put me in a much better spot than I otherwise would be. My experience volunteering for various community service projects has translated well to the rocket range. I jump at the opportunity to lend a hand to first-timers and club leadership.

Very soon I plan to begin working with Scouts in an official capacity, on behalf of the DART club I fly with. It is my hope that by training a few Scouts and Scouters in the weeks before attending a launch, they can have some in-house rocketry expertise, be more self-sufficient on the range, and open up more leadership and training opportunities for their members. I’ve been looking to getting back into the world of Scouting for some time and this appears to be an ideal way to do it.

Last edited:
I am not an Eagle scout (though two out of three of my brothers achieved that goal), I dropped out as a Tenderfoot, but got back in as an adult when our sons joined scouting. They made it further than I did but did not reach Eagle either. But now that they are in their mid-twenties and have moved on to other things I remain in scouting as a troop chaplain, charter organization executive, and merit badge counselor. I have been on chaplain staff for the National Scout Jamboree in 2017, World Scout Jamboree in 2019, and made a trip to Philmont last year for a scouters conference with a very rare day trip into the back country with a summer staff chaplain that we knew from the 2017 Jamboree. I hope to attend the 2023 Jamboree and was exceptionally disappointed that they scheduled NSJ to conflict with attending the WSJ in Korea (the dates overlap) so it is impossible to attend both.

Back