SLOWMO start hybrid HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
SLOWMO K888 contrail hybrid start sequence...GoPro Highspeed footage..enjoy

[video=youtube_share;Up1uz6a1wD0]https://youtu.be/Up1uz6a1wD0[/video]

Mr. Dudu,

Great footage, which GoPro do you have? Does it record audio?

Kent/gLR

You need the new Gopro Hero3 Black so you can put enough frames on the startup of them Contrails... I can see the 15fps.

I liked seeing how the ignitor whipped out. Neat to see how things actually occur in slow-mo, or high-speed filming, in other words.

There is a camera, it's called the Casio EX-F1. While I was doing my online research for my own high-speed camera, for the "average man" to get into high-speed photography--under $1500; there was 1 camera. This camera was a 2009 model. All sources confirmed there was nothing existing but this 1 camera on the market that you could actually shoot a high speed of 1200FPS (only memory limited)--extremely high when put next to our typical DSLR etc that does 60-120FPS that is also frame-limited. This would actually work without special lighting. Even 300FPS you are talking amazing perception of events in a rocket launch or explosion (CATO).

I wanted that camera. I missed one for $875 bidding a year ago, never went back for it to join another bid war.

Why Casio's camera never blossomed into another line of better, 1200FPS or more FPS cameras with the new, much more powerful image processing chips we have 3-4 years later, beats me. Especially with MWP9 tomorrow! Oh maybe next year.

Mr. Dudu,

Great footage, which GoPro do you have? Does it record audio?

Kent/gLR

Kent, the actual footage with sound at normal speed can be seen on the scratch builds subforum under BIG MAX..

Last edited:
Oh, so there is a delay between when the pyrodex pellet is set off and pressurization.

Oh, so there is a delay between when the pyrodex pellet is set off and pressurization.

Sure, it needs approx 0,2 to 0,5 seconds. This is reproductible and much better than most of the AP reloads you can get. The 75mm ignite even faster as the 54mm casings (they got 2 pellets instead of only one). Important is of course the pellet himself but also the position of the ignitor on the pellet vs. the fill line. With other words, best results (for me) when the ignitor is set at 90° of the fill line (if you consider the center of the pellet as reference). If you place the ignitor near the fill line you have a huge risk to kill the ignition of the whole as cold nitrous would stop immediately the pellet burning. The ignitor shall be placed outside of the pellet, same as the fill line. I tape it with a kind of paper tape that burns very quickly.

When I see other CTI or AT reloads I must say we iginite nearly instantaneously. All the time. So when people say hybrids are difficult to ignite...I cannot understand at all. In the US you can be really happy you can get best pyrodex pellets factory tailored from Hogdon powder. Unfortunately not imported into europe (obviously).

One thing we remarked: if you have a start abortion and you need to dump for whatever reasons, you better replace the preheater immediately. The freeze inside the combustion chamber due to the very cold nitrous will condensate water everywhere and you will kill your pyrodex pellet immediately. Refilling with a damaged pyrodex pellet is same as burning money, you can be sure to dump again and again..this is costy at the end...

Last edited:
Back