Sirius - Refit Atlantis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the more intimidating parts of this kit is the sheer number of decals. There are four sheets and I knew when I began that my decaling skills are merely adequate. This kit was going to push my limits.

I decided to start simply and add the name and hull numbers to the nacelles. There are four instances of this decal, two in black and two in red. The instructions indicate placement but not color. I elected to put the black on the outer faces and red on the inner.

Atantis-decals-1.jpg

Atantis-decals-2.jpg

Atantis-decals-3.jpg

Atantis-decals-4.jpg

Since it was on the same sheet, I decided to go with one for the tail assembly next. I cut it out and it was a tight fit. I had to do some trimming to keep it from lapping over the edge.

Atantis-decals-5.jpg

Next up were the wing pylons. These require 4 decals (each side, top and bottom) and differ only in their being mirror images of each other. They went on without too much fuss.

Atantis-decals-6.jpg

Atantis-decals-7.jpg

The upper deck, aft of the bridge is one lng decal. To look right, the "bull's eye" needs to be centered in the circular section. This sounds easy but there is some assymetry which makes it just a touch more difficult that might be imagined. The decals forward of the bridge went on with the same attention to the misleading assymetry.

Atantis-decals-8.jpg

Atantis-decals-10.jpg

Atantis-decals-9.jpg

How do you like the silver paint? It's hard to get a picture that looks right compared to looking at it in person.

In my opinion, it looks even shinier after the clear coat. I was able to use the same clear over the decals. I just made sure I used light coats.

Awesome work on the decals John! Amazing how decals really make the rocket 'pop'..Very nice! :D

How do you like the silver paint? It's hard to get a picture that looks right compared to looking at it in person.

In my opinion, it looks even shinier after the clear coat. I was able to use the same clear over the decals. I just made sure I used light coats.

I like it very much. For me though, its harder to get a picture with me doing the photography!

I am planning on using the clear coat on top as well. I do appreciate the tip.

Awesome work on the decals John! Amazing how decals really make the rocket 'pop'..Very nice! :D

I was about to say that the "decals make this kit" but that would be wrong. THe decals are a major part and they really dress it up but kudos have to be given to the rest of the kit as well. It just has an overall cool factor that is high.:)

The tops of the side decks each got a decal and the bottoms got a longer version. One of them had to be trimmed to fit around the launch lug.

Atantis-decals-11.jpg

Atantis-decals-12.jpg

The tail assmebly had already gotten its main decal but the instructions provide for another one on each side, higher up on the 3-ply area. For me, this was confusing because it was obvious that the decal would not fit as outlines, and I don't mean minor trimming. The lower part of the decal has to be cut off and applied below the horizontal projection. This is not difficult but it gave me pause because everywhere else, the decals were marked with a dotted line where they were supposed to be cut and this one had no such dots, leading me to the conclusion that I was not understanding something. I finally cut it and applied it. Whethere I am correct or not, I am satisfied with the result.

Atantis-decals-13.jpg

The antenna dish got a grill pattern over its top half.

Atantis-decals-14.jpg

On hte forward section of the BT, from the bottom, there are 3 principal decals. The aftermost features a yellow circle and more of the patterning that has predominated on the bottom of the hull. Near the nosecone, there is a pretty cool looking Atlantis logo. In between these two is a hull number.

Atantis-decals-15.jpg

Atantis-decals-16.jpg

Atantis-decals-17.jpg

Atantis-decals-18.jpg

On the top surface, near the front, goes a much bigger hull number.

Atantis-decals-19.jpg

With the top and bottom of the rocket decaled, what was left was to do the 2 sides. These consisted of 3 longer decals on each side forward of the side decks and then a few small "detail" decals. Several were just logos and one (on each side) consisted of 3 colored squares.

Atantis-decals-20.jpg

Atantis-decals-21.jpg

Atantis-decals-23.jpg

Atantis-decals-24.jpg

After all the decals were dried, I set the Atlantis up in the spraybooth and began applying light coats of clear. I gave it a total of 4 coats.

Atantis-clear-5.jpg

Atantis-clear-6.jpg

Atantis-clear-7.jpg

Atantis-clear-8.jpg

Atantis-clear-9.jpg

With that, the Refit Atlantis is ready to fly in the morning!:D

She's a beauty John. Well done. I really don't know how you can crank out so many rockets and have them come out as pretty as they do. Mine are decent looking when I take my time but I only build one every other month or so. I usually can't make the deadlines in any of the EMRR contests (but I keep trying).

She's a beauty John. Well done. I really don't know how you can crank out so many rockets and have them come out as pretty as they do. Mine are decent looking when I take my time but I only build one every other month or so. I usually can't make the deadlines in any of the EMRR contests (but I keep trying).

Thanks. I appreciate that and this is one I really am proud of.

I guess I do build a lot of rockets. What spare time I have, I spend building if I can. I learned the hard way a few years ago not to waste time with things that either did not need to be done or "doing nothing". I won't make that mistake anymore.

As to the way my rockets look, I have learned the truth of somthing many others have said here on TRF. They look better in the photos than in real life. It also helps that so many of mine are blurry! That being said, I am proud of this one. Its the best looking I have done so far. I see little flaws here and there but I know what caused them and know they won't happen again unless I allow them to happen.

I was just looking over the motor list for this one in anticipation for tomorrow. I have a built F12 reload that is commited to my Honest John. It seems, though, that is also a recommendation for this one. If memory serves, that leaves 2 more in the bag. :D

The day of the maiden flight of the Refit Atlantis arrived and it was prepped with a D12-5. People wanted to see this one. On take-off, it weathercocked a bit but was very stable. It ejected and recovered not far away. I wanted to try it on something bigger.

The video is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/2952653641/

atln-flit-1b.jpg

atln-flit-1c.jpg

atln-flit-1a.jpg

For the second flight, I wanted to use an E15 but I didn't have one. Like a dunce, I loaded an E30-4. It flew stable but whipped off the pad very fast. It also flew with the wind a long way away. We managed to see where it landed and I started the long hike to get it back.

The landowner was kind enough to open a gate and let me on his property but warned me about Sweetie. It turns out that sweetie is a dog but I was not worried because Sweetie was a dachshund. Sweetie seemed...sweet until I went past the gate and then she became a hellhound. It's humiliating, really, I never thought I would ever meet the dachshund who could outrun me. I bet she was funny looking but I was too busy looking where I was running.

At least I got my rocket back.

The video of the second flight is here, but don't blink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/2952675303/

atln-flit-2a.jpg

atln-flit-2b.jpg

atln-flit-2c.jpg

For the second flight, I wanted to use an E15 but I didn't have one. Like a dunce, I loaded an E30-4. It flew stable but whipped off the pad very fast. It also flew with the wind a long way away. We managed to see where it landed and I started the long hike to get it back.

The landowner was kind enough to open a gate and let me on his property but warned me about Sweetie. It turns out that sweetie is a dog but I was not worried because Sweetie was a dachshund. Sweetie seemed...sweet until I went past the gate and then she became a hellhound. It's humiliating, really, I never thought I would ever meet the dachshund who could outrun me. I bet she was funny looking but I was too busy looking where I was running.

At least I got my rocket back.

The video of the second flight is here, but don't blink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/2952675303/

I want to see the video of the recovery and Sweety! :D

Only because I recovered a rocket in a cow pasture and while I was picking it up I could hear snorting from behind the nearby bushes. I didn't know if there was a bull in the pasture or not. I just want to see if you were able to move any faster then I did.

I want to see the video of the recovery and Sweety! :D

Only because I recovered a rocket in a cow pasture and while I was picking it up I could hear snorting from behind the nearby bushes. I didn't know if there was a bull in the pasture or not. I just want to see if you were able to move any faster then I did.

The only video I have of that flight is what was posted. It took me a good long while to walk through the brush and get my fat frame through several barbed wire fences to reach Sweety's domain.

I would not book on me being much faster than anything. Note the adjective "fat" above. You can add to it, uncoordinated, clumsy, arthritic and accident prone. :eek:

If you're really into that kind of thing, I'll see about shooting a photo of the fang holes in the bottom of the overalls I was wearing. She had a grip like a bulldog.:pirate:

Still...a dachshund? I woulda thought that even I could have outrun her.;)

Still...a dachshund? I woulda thought that even I could have outrun her.;)

They're very low to the ground. Just like sports cars, the ground effects help them get more speed.;)

Besides, what did you expect from a dog that was bred to hunt weasels?:surprised:

[uhh, absolutely no implications on the one being hunted in this particular case...]

They're very low to the ground. Just like sports cars, the ground effects help them get more speed.;)

Besides, what did you expect from a dog that was bred to hunt weasels?:surprised:

[uhh, absolutely no implications on the one being hunted in this particular case...]

I've only known two personally before. Both belonged to childhood friends. One hunted dog treats and the other hunted a place to lay down. I didn't know about the weasels.

Ground effect, huh. That's low.:rolleyes:

Actually dachshunds were bred to hunt badgers.

My wife had a dachshund whom we lost in 2000 at the age of 17. Sam was a hunter of treats and sleeping spots. But one day at the vets, a rotwiler came in and Sam became a pocket cujo. Snarling, drolling, protector of the Mommy!

After we lost Sam, we were adopted by a calico cat, tooking in another calico who was the runt of a litter who lost their mom, and tonight we spent over three hours in an attempt to rescue a kitten from a storm drain where it was apparently dumped. We have him and will take him to the vet. Want to call him Norton (the more mature will remember the Honeymooners).

Dachshunds were easier.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I have the Sirius Atlantis Retrofit still in the package, so I have been following your build. I also have two Cetrius kit and the 24mm Interregator. Need to send an order in to David at Sirius to get some recovery stuff.

Maybe I should call the cat, Sweety...

Chas

Actually dachshunds were bred to hunt badgers.

My wife had a dachshund whom we lost in 2000 at the age of 17. Sam was a hunter of treats and sleeping spots. But one day at the vets, a rotwiler came in and Sam became a pocket cujo. Snarling, drolling, protector of the Mommy!

After we lost Sam, we were adopted by a calico cat, tooking in another calico who was the runt of a litter who lost their mom, and tonight we spent over three hours in an attempt to rescue a kitten from a storm drain where it was apparently dumped. We have him and will take him to the vet. Want to call him Norton (the more mature will remember the Honeymooners).

Dachshunds were easier.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I have the Sirius Atlantis Retrofit still in the package, so I have been following your build. I also have two Cetrius kit and the 24mm Interregator. Need to send an order in to David at Sirius to get some recovery stuff.

Maybe I should call the cat, Sweety...

Chas

I'm sorry you lost the dog. I had a great Dane who was over protective of my wife. We finally had to give him away after he tried to eat my secretary and some kids who were over for a slumber party. He now leads a happy life in the country and is terrorized by a yorkie.

On balance, I too am a cat person. We have 2 inside cats and my wife feeds one that always comes to the back door. So far she has resisted my daughter's entrities to let the nice kitty come in but I can see that she is weakening. Meanwhile, I wish that just one of the cats would like ME. All I'm allowed to do is look, admire and provide food. It's much like my relationship with girls in high school: look but do NOT touch.:( I miss my old cat who was always settling down on top of whatever book I was trying to read.

The Atlantis was a great build for me. I have the other Sirius offerings sitting in packages and look forward to building them too but the Atlantis was the one that really captured my attention.

I set up the Atlantis to celebrate my birthday and did something very stupid. The only Ds I could find were D12-7s. This was the rocket my nephew really wanted to see so I reluctantly agreed to give it a try.

It worked. I was a bit frightened because it did not seem to go up high enough and I knew the chute would not open in time when I saw the apogee but apparently divine favor was with me and I benefited from a short delay charge. The chute eventually ejected. The only damage was a slight zipper that should be easily repairible.

The video is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3049095618/

Atlantis-1a.jpg

Atlantis-1b.jpg

Atlantis-1c.jpg

A suggestion when you use that thin Kevlar shock cord, tie a knot in it about 3/8" above the BT. Then use 3/4 masking tape and tape it around the shock cord just below the knot. The knot keeps the tape from slideing up the cord. When you put the tape on, use about 1/4" wide folds so by the time you get a few wraps on you'll have a 3/8" to 1/2" wide, flat piece of tape on the shock cord. This will go a long way in preventing the kind of zipper you had.

CAUTION: Make sure you ALWAYS put the shock cord and tape in the BT BEFORE the recovery device. I had a chute catch on the tape and not deploy, not good!

Latest posts

Back