Shroud line length

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for the ratio of shroud line length to chute diameter? What happens to the Cd when the lines are shorter/longer? Mostly interested in DIY chutes, but also interested in what would happen if commercial chutes are modified.

OK, truth be told, the lines on almost all of my parachutes get shorter over time. They get so tangled, the only way to fix them is to cut the end off, detangle, then re-secure the lines.

Based on experimental evidence from our TARC team, you don't start materially reducing the chute CD/increasing descent speed until the shroud line (from chute corner to center securing point) is around 0.5 to 0.75 * chute diameter.

All of my DIY chutes are flat chutes..up to 72". I base my shroud line lengths on the chutes flat measurement x .89
I cut them twice as along and loop that shroud line to two attachment points.

and yes..you really need to choke up on those lines to see and speed up of decent.

Tony

Based on experimental evidence from our TARC team, you don't start materially reducing the chute CD/increasing descent speed until the shroud line (from chute corner to center securing point) is around 0.5 to 0.75 * chute diameter.
What chute material and chute size are you talking about?

What chute material and chute size are you talking about?
Flat sheet thin mil ripstop nylon 18"-24" diameter. Reefing is typically done with a few wraps of electrical tape so it's relatively easily removable.

Back