shroud line attachment - why would you want the lines to cross over each other??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why the chutes that come with a kit are made so the shroud lines will cross over each other when the parachute is attached to the rocket? That doesn't make sense. That is what happens when all the shroud lines are attached to a corner and another corner on the chute right next to each other. You are going to end up with one or two where the lines cross over each other even if it is not tangled up.

Shouldn't one or two of the shroud lines go across the parachute so the ends are attached to corners across from each other, not next to each other?

Last edited:
Yes they should but it seems doing it the other way must be easier for the makers that never actually used a chute.

Tim at Apogee has a video/article that says the same and shows you how to attach non-crossed shroud lines.
That is if you are doing the task of attaching lines like in some kits.

I know LOC and Top Flight chutes are made this way. Wondering how the lines attach on the high end HPR chutes?

It should be easy to make a printed 3d adapter to fix this so you get the twist to stay where you want it to be. Like a miniature version of a network cabling comb. Obviously, it's a manufacturing thing where it's easier to go from one gore to the one next to it rather than across. Probably reduces mistakes. But it is annoying.

When I had some custom chutes made to give away at Plaster Blaster, I talked to the owner/head seamster (?). I explained about the shroud lines and after walking him thru the packing process, the light bulb went on. I got a pair made by with extra long bridals for a dual chute bird, a bunch embroidered with the size and "Plaster Blaster" sewn in and a bunch of personal ones (all sizes 36" and below) with all the shroud lines properly attached. I'd have to check for the name but the shop was in LA.

Estes pre-made ‘chutes (at least in recent years) are done correctly and not as they are always drawn on instructions and such, for whatever that’s worth.

Funny you should show a pic of that. When I was in theNavy, many many yrs ago, we use to pack chutes with a device just like this. Kept all the lines separate, straight and none were ever allowed to cross over.

Funny you should show a pic of that. When I was in theNavy, many many yrs ago, we use to pack chutes with a device just like this. Kept all the lines separate, straight and none were ever allowed to cross over.
Thank you for defending our country.
Jim

Back