Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing though now that I've just thought of it, do the "fillets" on the real one feather in, or is there a definitive joint or line?

IMG_0002_48.JPG And one more view. Notice the misaligned markings, this was due to the fin marking pattern not being correct. I'm thinking it might be because my BT does not have the vinyl wrap the kit says it does thus reducing the dia. of the tube. :rant:

Lookin good. Keep up the good work. Your attention to detail is impressive.

IMG_0001_59.JPG I just realized something. These decals from this kit only depict an Atlas booster, not a Redstone version. Is there anyone here who could make Grissom's flight, MR4? I can't believe I didn't recognize this. Thank you. :facepalm:

The decals are correct for the Mercury-Redstone manned missions according to Peter Alway's "Rockets of the World". Although, the first manned Mercury-Redstone with Alan Sheppard is called Mercury-Redstone 3, the booster was clearly marked "MR 7". Likewise, the second manned Mercury-Redstone with Gus Grissom, MR-4, had the booster labeled as "MR 8". There were no more manned Mercury-Redstone flights after Gus Grissom.

Last edited:
The decals are correct for the Mercury-Redstone manned missions according to Peter Alway's "Rockets of the World". Although, the first manned Mercury-Redstone with Alan Sheppard is called Mercury-Redstone 3, the booster was clearly marked "MR 7". Likewise, the second manned Mercury-Redstone with Gus Grissom, MR-4, had the booster labeled as "MR 8". There were no more manned Mercury-Redstone flights after Gus Grissom.

Well dumb, dopey me. Thanks for clearing that up. :blush::wink:

Hi everyone. I have gotten a bit into a slump with nightmares about my childhood. My psychiatrist and psychologist have decided to give me Prazosin which is the same meds given to soldiers who come home with nightmares. So far, not much has changed, but we are working at it and I have confidence that it may be controlled. I really want to get back to this project and get this flying along with my Apogee Saturn V and Saturn 1-b. Let me see what I can do with things.

You folks really have been an extraordinary source of inspiration and I thank you for this gift. : )

Hi again. I'm really having problems in trying to get back to this. My nightmares are focused on child abuse and they are draining me. I've been letting myself go physically and emotionally. I have so enjoyed this forum and the support and camaraderie. I'm going to have to ask everyone for a huge favor. What I need are words of encouragement and wishful thinking. I'm trying my damndest to do what is necessary on my behalf.

I'm also suffering from arthritis between lumbars four and five. Injections have not helped. Surgery is the other option. I'm uptight about surgery of the back having seen my best friend Boyd of forty six years having gone through the same thing and is much worse than he was before. I cannot walk very well anymore, so even getting out to fly is a huge concern.

I don't know what to do at this point. I bloody well know what a sorry ass sob story this is. But I am reaching out to all of you so somehow, I can once more enjoy this intriguing hobby of ours!

For me rocket design and building is therapeutic for mind and body. I hope it helps you.

Well I just spent the last bit reading this thread and catching up-
First and foremost , Your attention to detail and craftsmanship are incredible- Very enjoyable read and pics describing the build and techniques used are awesome in my opinion.

I have a daughter in law that suffers some of the same things your living with, and I can emphasize with what your dealing with, that said - she is hands down an amazing photog when "she feels it- or is up to it" - Keep your chin up and head held high, your work on those models is incredible and I look forward to seeing the finished product , even it that takes US (your friends here on TRF) giving you a push and words of encouragement from time to time. I know I will , rest assured.:)

Andy

I Got anxity an depression from a dirt bike wreck in 98 my head hit the road About 60 miles an Hour which i seen the light. I have troubles understanding but this hobby helps in alot of ways i cant work i have memory lost which i have Flash backs but i wont give up my dream in rc or rockets :) i do remember somethings but not like a person should but i do injoy life i try too but mean people likes too turn people down or judge them like i always say be in or shoes an see how you feel. :)

Last edited:
Meh, getting your rockets back after a flight is the easy part, just fly where there are kids :) These TMRD's (temporary mobile recovery devices) have no idea they are being worked and will willingly run to retrieve errant rockets for free simply for the privilege of returning said rocket for praise alone. You must repeatedly admonish the TMRD as to the delicacy of launched devices or all-to-often rockets are returned in an un-flyable condition.

Building them I can't help with. That's my particular form of this addiction, I have about 100 un-flown rockets :p With 4 more in production as I type. One is destined to be my 1st level Tripoli rocket...I might even get out and fly it before my Tripoli membership runs out....again...

Back