Shelters and canopies...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my 3rd rocketry canopy... I'm using the Coleman MAX 12x12... large, easy for one man to setup, has built in tie downs, fits into back seat of Honda Accord, etc. I use 4 ft rebars to tie down all the corners and then 2 ft rebars and tied downs on each leg plus 10 inch pegs. So far, so good....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Instant-Canopy-12-x-12/16663595

Bad thing I've learned is Coleman doesn't sell spare parts only replacement canopies... so I"d not buy again.

I've look at these industial BlackRock sun shares I've seen at desert launches. These look to large for me to transport but I keep looking at these.

https://formandreform.com/wpstore/burning-man-shade-blackrock-hardware/

After many launches of getting too much sun, I picked up an EZ-UP when Wally-World had them on sale for $99 (circa 2007 - 2008). Launches then became so much cooler to attend...

Last edited:
shelter1.jpg
Over decades of scouting, We've killed nearly every type of canopy. The good news is the type of wind that damages them would wash out a launch anyways. As people above mentioned, how you tie it down is key. I've left large canopies up at the beach all summer through crazy storms on these anchors and never had one pull out:
auger-style-tree-133758.jpg

I prefer shelters like this one, but they're kinda huge and a pain to setup. They'll outlast any e-z-up style by years, and survive just about anything if tied down properly.
Universal-Canopy-1013.jpg

I have one with a flat top same style. I have had it for almost 10 yeas now.. its handled 100mph winds, rain snow sun you name it and its still going strong..

My opinion if you want a kite buy an ez up type if you want sunshade that lasts... make your own!

shelter1.jpg

View attachment 131158

I have one with a flat top same style. I have had it for almost 10 yeas now.. its handled 100mph winds, rain snow sun you name it and its still going strong..

My opinion if you want a kite buy an ez up type if you want sunshade that lasts... make your own!

View attachment 131158

Hey Mark - I agree with you on what you said. Most of the canopies are well made, but catch the wind. I tried contacting that guy that makes those flat canopies, but he's out of business. Can you PM me the specs on yours. I'll pick up the supplies and just build one myself.

Back