Shelters and canopies...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's time to invest in decent shelter and folding chairs. I remember the last folding chairs I bought were from WALMART and they were ok, but looking at getting something a little more sturdy. As far as canopy there are a lot out there, but I know one company use to make the high strength that could wind stand the strong winds and not get airborne in the process. That's what I need. I'm thinking of maybe just making one, but the folding ones are so easy to set up, but weigh a lot. IDK kind of undecided at the moment.

From a practical point of view, How you anchor the canopy is the real ticket. I've seen everything from cinder blocks to car batteries to spikes and combinations of all. A nice 3-4 ft piece of rebar punched in the ground at about a 20 deg angle will do the job--of course a good knot helps. Tie the rope high on the poles and at the bottom. If it shreds---your not launching anyway---should have stayed home and ---well, you get the point. Chairs, gotta have a cup holder---or two---Bill------ps. safety line chairs to structure---safety line cups to chair--all cups should have dome top lids--with safety straws----flourecent straws--so you don't poke your eye out. Just in case, you should wear goggles and a hard hat for the -----OK--I sound like I should work for the Govt.---

The Depart. of Non-Tramsportation reminds you that a sturdy foundation and EarthQuake restraint system is required for all shelters occupied by one or more persons in the Republik of Kalifornia. Our sister Dept of Konsumer Safetyness also recommends the use of seat belts secured to bedrock to prevent injury during unplanned geological motion. This message has been brought to you by the KSFM office: Remember-only YOU can prevent Forests!
Dan- WallyWorld has a nice Coleman 12x12' unit-pretty heavy duty for approx $200 or Horror Fright has one for about $59. LIke HD said-the key is anchoring. For Lucern I would get some sand screws (check out the srewdown doggy leash anchors too!) or go with some rebar and chop it about 3' long and pound a hook into the last 6" -they will go in and hold pretty good and wiggle free if you beat it with a small sledge. We had a dust devil hit the flight line a couple of years ago and the canopy stayed but my chair with an umbrella took off! Pick up some cargo tiedowns (cheep at HF) and cinch that baby down each corner from the top.

Last edited:
Good advice...pretty funny about the seat belts Dave. I always thought it would be funny if when dinning out at your favorite place that you were required to buckle yourself in your chair with a seat beat....:lol::lol::lol: then the waitress would have to come by and make sure everything is secure. It's Friday guys and I'm in a warped mood.

I've been doing canopies for many years with rockets and r/C plane events. The top of the line, around here anyway, has always been the E-Z UP brand. Right now I have a Quik Shade brand which seems almost identical to the E-Z Up. I have borrowed and used a couple of the stick it together types before purchasing my own but the time savings in set up and tear down is well worth the money difference to me YMMV. Plus, you can't lose any parts on the ones that don't come apart. Oh, and I am lazy. ;)

I've been doing canopies for many years with rockets and r/C plane events. The top of the line, around here anyway, has always been the E-Z UP brand. Right now I have a Quik Shade brand which seems almost identical to the E-Z Up. I have borrowed and used a couple of the stick it together types before purchasing my own but the time savings in set up and tear down is well worth the money difference to me YMMV. Plus, you can't lose any parts on the ones that don't come apart. Oh, and I am lazy. ;)

What's the best way you have found to anchor them? I know about the EZ up canopies, but I'm assuming they have stakes?? Is the Quik Shade any better or less?

I have used cheap ones and good ones . been through some real wind storms.
For my money there is only one, ez up express II .
It does come with stakes but that's the down fall for all canopy's I started using fence posts as stakes and ratchet straps for hold downs about 4 years ago and haven't lost it yet.
Its takes longer to set up but I don't take it down until the launch is over. set it up and forget it.
I am thinking of a new one just because the cover looks like its been out at a rocket launch for the past 4 years.

Over decades of scouting, We've killed nearly every type of canopy. The good news is the type of wind that damages them would wash out a launch anyways. As people above mentioned, how you tie it down is key. I've left large canopies up at the beach all summer through crazy storms on these anchors and never had one pull out:
auger-style-tree-133758.jpg

I prefer shelters like this one, but they're kinda huge and a pain to setup. They'll outlast any e-z-up style by years, and survive just about anything if tied down properly.
Universal-Canopy-1013.jpg

I picked up a DisplayShade the other day (the company is local to me). It has a steel frame so it's stronger and heavier than aluminum and should reach greater altitudes on a windy day while out on the dry lake.

I picked up a DisplayShade the other day (the company is local to me). It has a steel frame so it's stronger and heavier than aluminum and should reach greater altitudes on a windy day while out on the dry lake.

A steel frame isn't necessarily stronger than aluminum. It depends on the quality of the steel and the design of the canopy. The less expensive canopies use steel frames. They use thinner steel to keep the cost and weight down, at the expense of strength.

-- Roger

A steel frame isn't necessarily stronger than aluminum. It depends on the quality of the steel and the design of the canopy. The less expensive canopies use steel frames. They use thinner steel to keep the cost and weight down, at the expense of strength.

This sucker is about 15# heavier than the aluminum one they sell. I had two different sales guys (at different times) tell me that is the one I want (at my budget) for windy conditions.

This sucker is about 15# heavier than the aluminum one they sell. I had two different sales guys (at different times) tell me that is the one I want (at my budget) for windy conditions.

Sorry, I wasn't commenting specifically about the canopy you bought. I'm not familiar with it.

I just didn't want people to assume that a steel frame is always better just because it's steel.

-- Roger

Anyone actually used the Harbor Freight one (preferably recently so we are talking about the same product)? Do they actually pop up reasonably well like the EZ ups? Being budget constrained as I am, these appear attractive (but the Chinese stuff always does until you actually use it).

They are listing for $69 now but only $7 bucks for shipping. That is cheaper then the gas to drive there and back for me.

Anyone actually used the Harbor Freight one (preferably recently so we are talking about the same product)? Do they actually pop up reasonably well like the EZ ups? Being budget constrained as I am, these appear attractive (but the Chinese stuff always does until you actually use it).

They are listing for $69 now but only $7 bucks for shipping. That is cheaper then the gas to drive there and back for me.

I haven't used one of those, but I have a cheap one from Wal-Mart that cost about the same price and it's actually not bad. It's not as sturdy as the Ez-Up we had for years and it doesn't have the nice white canopy. But, it goes up easy enough and has stood up to use at more than couple of dozen launches so far. One of the screws fell out and replacement parts aren't available anywhere. For now, I've replaced the bolt and nut with something that works, but doesn't fit exactly right. Someday, I'll track down the correct nut and bolt (or I'll just buy another and use the one we have for replacement parts).

-- Roger

I haven't used one of those, but I have a cheap one from Wal-Mart that cost about the same price and it's actually not bad. It's not as sturdy as the Ez-Up we had for years and it doesn't have the nice white canopy. But, it goes up easy enough and has stood up to use at more than couple of dozen launches so far. One of the screws fell out and replacement parts aren't available anywhere. For now, I've replaced the bolt and nut with something that works, but doesn't fit exactly right. Someday, I'll track down the correct nut and bolt (or I'll just buy another and use the one we have for replacement parts).

-- Roger

Thanks for the input. I am probably going to Wally World today, so I'' check it out.

Thanks for the input. I am probably going to Wally World today, so I'' check it out.

They have a Coleman for about the same price as the "house brand" that looks like it is made a bit better. The problem I read with them though is that if something breaks you have to buy a whole new one because Coleman doesn't have replacement parts. That was another reason I went with the one from Caravan Canopies.

FWIW, the aluminized backing that some have on the canopy itself makes a huge difference.

At an Air Show several years ago, we had a white EZ Up next to a green Quik-Shade. The latter had the aluminized backing, the former did not. During the heat of the day, you could tell the difference as you walked between the two.

-Kevin

Over decades of scouting, We've killed nearly every type of canopy. The good news is the type of wind that damages them would wash out a launch anyways. As people above mentioned, how you tie it down is key. I've left large canopies up at the beach all summer through crazy storms on these anchors and never had one pull out:
auger-style-tree-133758.jpg

I've launch in the Southern California high desert for many years. The wind can come and go... it can be fairly calm, then a big dust devil can make a run right down the flight line. That car shelter would go airborne!

If you are spending less than $100, you'll get what you pay for. We are about due for a new one. Got an old almost 10 year old Quick Shade. It's rather heavy and has held up nicely in the strong winds. The new light versions are crap. I've seen then twist up like a pretzel, even when they are staked down.

I'll probably go with an EZ-Up brand. Also, if you can put it up by yourself, its too whimpy to survive long.....

Jerome

Those are the real deal.

Big 5 Sports periodically marks them down to as little as $79 for the smaller fold ups but the larger commercial rigs will cost more.

Just avoid the cheap ones with the screws the thread into the plastic "X" anchors where the posts cross. Early Harbor Fright ones are like that, and I have been systematically replacing those screws with longer bolts and lock washers as they pop out. My 13 year old EZ-UP has fared much better than that 2 yr old HF popup. Only the fabric is really showing it's age, and there is one slight wrinkle in one of the posts, but that's it. I use the 8 or 10 inch long Coleman tent stakes that have plastic green thingies at the top. Most of the green thingies are long broken, but a good claw hammer and these stakes or very long nails from HD or Lowes do the trick on the desert floor. Forget getting a 3 ft post in the AZ desert, but my stakes are probably not long enough for soft loamy grass launch sites either. My point here is that it depends on where you setup. Also, newer pop-ups have the silver lining on the inside of the fabric. That helps A LOT with the sun.

If I ever get another one, (I use my Trailer awning mostly now) It'll be another EZ-UP so long as it has the silver lining (Not sure they do like Quick shade and porta shades do).

Last edited:
Those are the real deal.

Big 5 Sports periodically marks them down to as little as $79 for the smaller fold ups but the larger commercial rigs will cost more.

(I work there) We have sales for the slant leg 10x10s that go down to 65 or so, but you will loose ~1.5x1.5' of shade on the slant legs. There are multiple styles, and I've been thinking of buying one.

My question to the group: Slant legs or straight legs? I've noticed the straight legged canopies are a good amount heavier than the slant legged ones.

Jim-these are actually pretty good for the money-KenRico has one that we used at Plaster and as long as you secure it-it's good to go and easy to set up.

(I work there) We have sales for the slant leg 10x10s that go down to 65 or so, but you will loose ~1.5x1.5' of shade on the slant legs. There are multiple styles, and I've been thinking of buying one.

My question to the group: Slant legs or straight legs? I've noticed the straight legged canopies are a good amount heavier than the slant legged ones.

I feel the straight legs units have inherently better geometry for the 90 deg corners and fastener interface. I can understand the design feature of trying to provide a wider foot print for stability, but all I've seen seem to take this as permission to use lighter components in the frame. If they were more robust, the tie downs could apply better pressure on the legs by running almost completely parallel to them.

I feel the straight legs units have inherently better geometry for the 90 deg corners and fastener interface. I can understand the design feature of trying to provide a wider foot print for stability, but all I've seen seem to take this as permission to use lighter components in the frame. If they were more robust, the tie downs could apply better pressure on the legs by running almost completely parallel to them.
What Dave said.

The splayed foot models are much lighter while the straight leg models are heavier. If you are simply going to drag the thing out of your vehicle and set it up, go with the heavier unit. If you have to schlep the shelter some distance, say to a kid's baseball game or something, the lighter model will be much easier to haul. The wheels attached to bottom of the tent bag are wheels in name only...I put my tent on a cheepy hand truck and lash it in place with bungees. Much easier to haul around to the tent site.

BTW, you really do want one with the underneath of the canopy aluminized. They block much more of the heat. If you're taking this bad boy out to the dry lake, avoiding heat and sun stroke is important.

Jim-these are actually pretty good for the money-KenRico has one that we used at Plaster and as long as you secure it-it's good to go and easy to set up.

Thanks Dave... that helps. What the choice is for me is likely cheap or none. I appreciate that more expensive units are better, but in my position, you will likely take what you can get.

Thanks Dave... that helps. What the choice is for me is likely cheap or none. I appreciate that more expensive units are better, but in my position, you will likely take what you can get.
I hear ya bro', sad part for me is I won't be showing next weekend and I was so counting on it. Other family obligations, etc. I get no respect and the rockets even less. ("Oh, so you're still playing with rockets, huh?"-Heathens, I tell ya, heathens!) Fly one for me , eh?

I hear ya bro', sad part for me is I won't be showing next weekend and I was so counting on it. Other family obligations, etc. I get no respect and the rockets even less. ("Oh, so you're still playing with rockets, huh?"-Heathens, I tell ya, heathens!) Fly one for me , eh?

So sorry to here that. Was looking forward to a bit of an old school TRA/SD reunion, but ya gots to do what ya gots to do. I will get out my magic marker and scribble your name on one :wink:

Cheers buddy

Back