September Best Rocket Competition - Fliskit Based - All Power Classes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Please go visit our sponsor this month, Fliskits, I am sure you will find something there that you want to get! Now, on to the contest, and remember this is an ALL Power Classes contest..Scroll down and check out this months theme! :)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

ALL POWER CLASSES FLISKITS BASED..

What does that mean? Well, it is Fliskits' 9th anniversary, so to help celebrate, this months rocket entries need be either:Original Fliskits rockets, down scales, up scales, or goony derivatives of Fliskits rockets.
EDIT: Even Fliskit based kit bashes are welcome as well! :)

Just remember Rules 5a and b!:wink:

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Fliskits is: a single digit signed version of their commemorative kit,which is a scale model of the Journeyman sounding rocket
Pretty cool, eh?:cool2:

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
Here is my entry. It is a Flistkits Shadowlord. It is built stock. The only thing that is different, is the paint job. It has flown once on a D12-5. The first picture is a nice closeup of the Shadowlord and the second picture is of the Shadowlord in flight.

Shadowlord Closeup.jpg

Shadowlord.jpg

Here is my Fliskits Night Whisper, which flies brilliantly on a C6-5.

On it's maiden flight, it landed on the RSO/LCO EZ-up!

G.D.

NightWhisper.jpg

Here's my Caution rocket. It's a direct up-scale from 18mm to 24mm. It's made entirely from foam core. It's a great park flier on D12-3's and absolutely rips at club launches on F39's. It has approximately 12 flights on it with very little damage other than the card stock laminate on the corners is coming up. I'm not sure if I'll re-finish it at this point or retire it and build another one learning from this build. All in all, it was a great project and always gets attention.

_MG_0301 r(3).jpg

_MG_0315 (2).jpg

_MG_0316 r(2).jpg

_MG_8672c.jpg

_MG_0322r (2).jpg

Happy 9th Anniversary FlisKits! Thanks for thinking outside of the box and offering inovative kits! Here is my ACME Spitfire. It has over 300 rivets of various sizes and a mutitude of panels and pipes.

Build.jpg

Cruise0113 - Copy.jpg

Cruise0114 - Copy.jpg

Carol's Picture - Copy.jpg

First Launch Photo  4.JPG

Yeah... I forgot about Mr Steamy. :eek: I think Mr SteamPunk should win in the 'Masters' category and let the rest of us mere mortals compete!

Sort of a lifetime achievement award!:wink::D

Despite the stiff competition, I wanted to enter my Herc-5. I have not seen much info on this kit here or in emrr I really like this design and hope to build another one with a newly formed paint scheme I have rattling around in my head. This was a great and fun kit to build. I hope you enjoy it.

-Z

Herc-5 (4 of 4).JPG

Herc-5 (1 of 4).JPG

Herc-5 (2 of 4).JPG

Herc-5 (3 of 4).JPG

Jesse that is one SHWEEET Herc! I have about 15 Fliskits in the queue! And the Herc is in there someplace. :) REALLY SUPER JOB (excuse the yellin)! :clap::clap::cheers::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks, guys, but it is still just cardboard and balsa just like every other rocket!! And it is far from over - there are some nice rockets here, and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more awesome looking Flis rockets posted before this is done.

Jesse, your Herc is AWESOME!! I love the paint. I am working on a Tau Zero that will have a similar paint scheme. Could you please let me know how you painted the insides of the tubes a different color than the outsides?

Jesse that is one SHWEEET Herc! I have about 15 Fliskits in the queue! And the Herc is in there someplace. :) REALLY SUPER JOB (excuse the yellin)! :clap::clap::cheers::clap::clap::clap:

Jesse, your Herc is AWESOME!! I love the paint. I am working on a Tau Zero that will have a similar paint scheme. Could you please let me know how you painted the insides of the tubes a different color than the outsides?

LOL Thanks guys. I am flattered really, Having only been at this a short while.

Painting the inside of the tubes involved a lot of overspray to my fingers and patience as I slowly layered up the Krylon Fusion orange (covers much better than standard variety.) then masking and spraying the pewter grey. All before mating the tubes together. Good luck to all. This will be a fun poll to watch :)

Z

Here's my Fliskits Decim8 I won in a contest last winter. It's the most detailed build I've ever done! Even more intense than my L3 rocket. It had it's maiden flight on a C6-3.

Decmi8 finished.jpg

decim8 in flight.jpg

Some great entries so far!:clap: No DOWN scales?:confused:Or GOONIEFIED??:confused2:..I see 1 UP scale..But, no HIGH POWER UP scales?...

Oh, well..LOL...Entry period ends at Midnight Wednesday night(or when I get home from work-whichever is later) so:

GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!!!

This is Three To One. It's a Fliskits Tres. Except that a normal Tres doesn't do this. :D

The lower half has some internal plumbing, and the upper half goes its own way on a sustainer motor ignited by quickmatch from one of the motors in the lower half. The coupler is entirely scratch-built to allow passage of said quickmatch. Both booster and sustainer recover by streamer.

6371threetoone_sky1_small.jpg

6373threetoone_sky3_small.jpg

This is not a downscale or an upscale. It doesn't have amazing detail or modifications of any kind. It is built stock and it is awesome because it is my daughter's first rocket that she built and finshed entirely on her own. It is a Thing-a-ma-Jig with a paint job only a 10 year old girl could dream up.

You may be able to make out the letters KFC on the fins. She is not a fan of fried chicken, those are her initials.

fall1 2011 012.jpg

O how I wish my upscale whatchamcallit was finished and flown so I could enter.

Maybe next time

Matt

When I first saw the category I thought if Fat Boy brought in his spitfire it would be over. But I'm seeing some other very nice looking competitors in here and there is something about that KFC rocket that I really like too. Not that I expect to win against these other entries, but I was able to get my newly built Bull's Eye launched successfully this past weekend so I may as well put it in here. The build thread with the details. Launched successfully on a B6-2. Apologies for the pic orientation. That's what happens when I try to post from my phone.

2011-09-10_22-40-27_445.jpg

This should be a good contest for sure. Hey,they are all Fliskits. That in it self makes them all winners.:D

BUZZZZ!

Entry period is officially closed! All great looking entries! Poll to be posted momentarily! :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......my TRES is not even primed yet ,but so very close :(

Maybe next year

Paul T

I explained to my daugther today the results of the contest and showed her a picture of the winning rocket. Her mouth hung open a bit in awe as she looked at the rocket. I then explained to her that her rocket was voted as second place. A huge grin appeared, as she said "My rocket?". Yup, your rocket... must have been the pink stripe.

Thanks all. This was a nice boost to her confidence and 10 year old girls need all the confidence boosting they can get.

Back