Semroc Iris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che

Reaction score
Okay, I have been terrified to start this build as it has a very pointy balsa nosecone. So far, I have had no luck and even less skill when it comes to retaining the original shape of balsa nosecones.

Does anyone have any ideas or strategies for keeping a pointed nosecone pointy?

Maybe this should be asked in the techniques forum?

I recently finished a tau zero that if i remember right has a pointy nosecone. I used thin CA on the first inch of the nose cone. it is still nice and sharp.

-Z

I was thinking of using CA on the nosecone, but I wasn't sure if I should try to fill and finish or just leave it. My feeling is to use the CA and leave it alone. I have a tendency to fiddle with things just enough to mess them up.

If you put CA on it, you will most likely need to sand it. Thin CA leaves a crusty residue and also swells the wood slightly. Depending upon how much you put on it, you might not get enough swelling to worry about, but you will definitely need to smooth it out. Give the CA plenty of time to fully cure before you start sanding it. Thin CA, when applied as a thin film, bonds and cures almost instantly, but that is not what you will be doing here. You will be applying a much thicker coating than that, most of which will be in, rather than on, the wood. Thicker layers of CA take a long time to fully cure, so give it at least overnight. As for sanding, use a medium to fine grit (like 220) and use gentle, light strokes. Don't bear down too much as you sand; let the sandpaper do the work. Stop frequently and check your progress. Concentrate on removing the crust and getting down to the bare wood, or most of the way down to it, anyway. Do not try to sand out pits, holes or depressions in the wood itself; that is what filler is for.

Especially for nose cones, I often use a thin sanding sponge pad instead of sandpaper. I especially like the line of sanding sponges that Norton makes. These aren't the brick-like or block-like sponges, but are the thin pads. The Norton pads are the ones that are in the garish bright colors: blue red and yellow, depending on the grade. Note that the red sponges are in two different grades, "100" and "150." I mostly use the red "150" pad and the yellow "220" pad. The yellow pad is really better for sanding primer, though. These thin pads conform to the shape of the cone much better than any paper-backed sanding medium does, and so they are much less likely to mess it up.

Personally, I don't care for treating wood with CA, because the sanding afterward can be a real bear, and it can distort the shape due to swelling. A good sanding sealer will provide pretty much the same level of protection, and it will be much easier to work with. I like to use Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer on smaller balsa nose cones, but for the Iris I might prefer to go with the more expensive but superior Pine-Pro Sanding Sealer. You can find the Delta product in the crafts section of Walmart; it will be in with the tole paints. Pine-Pro Sanding Sealer can be found at hobby stores, in or near the pinewood car section.

There are other options for strengthening and finishing your nose cone, too, but some of them are a bit more involved. One fairly simple technique is to just coat it evenly with wood glue or even white glue. You can put some of either one into a dish and thin it slightly with water so that you can apply it with a brush.

More involved techniques include treating the nose cone with Minwax Wood Hardener or coating it with laminating (or "finish cure") epoxy resin and sanding it smooth. In any event you will need to sand the surface of the cone to give it a smooth finish so learning how to sand non-destructively is a skill that you will need to develop.

You must also accept the fact that you will always need to handle the Iris nose cone with some care; that's just the reality. Give it extra padding when you are transporting it to and from a launch, and mount the rocket somewhere that is up and out of the way when you have it at home. Mount it in such a way that it will not topple over and that nothing will topple into it. And remember, in the event of disaster you can always just buy a replacement nose cone from Semroc.

I'll second what Mark mentioned about Minwax wood hardener or Coating Epoxy on Pointy Balsa Nose cones. I prefer this method over most others IF and I say IF your going to worry about the hardness of the cone to begin with.
I have large balsa NC that have no hardner added at all that are decades old with 12-50 flights without much in that way of dents dings or damage. They grain was Primer filled, sanded and painted. Nothing special done at all. Models like the Arcon-Hi and Iris just need to be handles on the ground with a little care. It's been my observation over the years that more damage is done to Model Rockets "on display" or during transport then any flight damage.

I do have to admit I to use thin CA to coat and polish balsa nosecones Chucked in a Dremel or hand drill. especially cones for Competition and Scale models that I want to keep with weight down on.
Start with a folded paper towel semi-soaked with thin CA. start by wiping down the enter NC rubbing it into the grain. Keep the towel moving so it does not stick. As soon as the cone is coated start the drill and continue rubbing the cone with the CA soaked towel. the surface will begin to warm and Polish as the CA dries.
If you have deep grain, it might take a second application to fill.
Hope this helps a little.

...I do have to admit I to use thin CA to coat and polish balsa nosecones Chucked in a Dremel or hand drill. especially cones for Competition and Scale models that I want to keep with weight down on.
Start with a folded paper towel semi-soaked with thin CA. start by wiping down the enter NC rubbing it into the grain. Keep the towel moving so it does not stick. As soon as the cone is coated start the drill and continue rubbing the cone with the CA soaked towel. the surface will begin to warm and Polish as the CA dries.
If you have deep grain, it might take a second application to fill.
Hope this helps a little.

Now that's interesting...

For hand sanding use very light pressure and sand from the shoulder to tip. This will keep the tip sharp. I use a water based filler like Fill'n Finish then CA over that. Filler to smooth things out and raise the grain for sanding, CA to toughen things up.

Back