Semroc cc:Astron Space Plane Instructions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
Anybody out here got cc:Semroc Astron Space Plane instructions? I have all the kit parts but no instructions. I could probably figure it out using the Jim Z Estes Space Plane instructions, but better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I put the Semroc kit together this summer. The Semroc instructions state that plans are not provided in their kit and that they are available from JimZ website. So, that is what I did. Those plans are the original plans from Estes and are not easy to follow, but it can be done. Semroc gives several construction notes: the area around the screw holes should be reinforced with CA; after cutting the slot at the aft of the body tube, use CA on the exposed edges to increase the life of the tube; the top, rear corner of each stabilizer is not supported, use CA or strip of balsa along the trailing edge to prevent breakage; a lead weight is provided as in the original kit, but a screw eye and small washers may be easier to use to balance the kit.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/help-cloning-the-estes-astron-space-plane.166752/#post-2149392

Last edited:
Mark,

Here are the SEMROC instructions . . . Unfortunately, they recommend using the Estes instructions, as posted above.

https://spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-03.pdf

You might want to contact George Gassaway. He did an RC upscale of the Astron Space Plane. Perhaps, he can shed some light on the subject.

Dave F.

Attachments

• Space Plane.pdf
    938.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I finally flew this space plane on Saturday on a B4-2 in about 10 mph winds. The model flew straight up and cleanly ejected the motor. Unfortunately, the elastic thread was way too weak to pull up the flaps and there was no gliding. Fortunately,The nose stuck in some soft mud and there was no damage. I need to find some stronger elastic thread.

Attachments

• 20220319_115520.jpg
    20220319_115520.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 6
I flew this model again on Saturday with a B4-2 in no wind. The B4-2 is the right motor for this model. The side wing-lets have broken many times and been re-glued. The plane does spiral (or seems to twirl) a little bit on the way up. This is because of the spin tabs on the wing-lets. I fixed the elastic failure from the previous flight and I got good motor ejection and transition to glide. My model is probably not trimmed very well. It was immediately gliding in very tight circles that tended to steepen with more nose down especially towards the end of the flight. A fellow flyer suggested adjusting the screws on the elevons for the next flight. There was slight damage due to the hard landing but it is easily fixable.

Attachments

• Estes Space Plane Take-off.jpg
    Estes Space Plane Take-off.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Back