Semi accurate aerodynamic simulation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
I have used RockSim for years now and think I may have come to its limit as far as... unusual experiments. I like how you can see things like differences in drag based on speed as well as optimal weight calculation. I want to experiment with different shapes that RockSim cannot simulate or I'm wondering if it is simulating it correctly (ie if the way I managed to get it to work causes the system calculations to "break").

I know there is really expensive CFD software out there, not looking to go that deep nor am I looking to spend that much. Short of doing live experiments, I'm sort of at a loss how to do this. For example, I read an research paper where NASA helped the DOD with an issue with missile performance by adding a small disc in front of the missile to reduce drag caused by the irregular shape of the front end. Memory serves, the missile had a dome head that sat in front of a odd shaped body that created significant drag. The disc was tiny in comparison but at the speed the missile travelled and the distance the disc was in front of the missile, it moved air around the nose effectively reducing drag. I am looking for the research paper and for some reason can't find it (always when you want to find something...).

I had no issues putting the disc into RockSim, I'm sort of questioning its accuracy based on how well it can simulate the benefit/detriment of having the disc. I'm also questioning some of the data from the simulation as I'm trying to see if say it is really awesome at say Mach 1.2 but absolutely horrific at Mach 0.9.

I this really interesting and wanted to simulate this as well as other concepts. Having software giving me an idea where these concepts work well and times it doesn't helps me direct my experiments a bit better (more efficient and determine if it is worthwhile). Again, I realize a full blown CFD will do this perfectly, I'm looking for something more amateur. Is there something else out there?

Back