OpenRocket simulator-options calculation method

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi TRF colleagues,

In OpenRocket this sequence exists: Edit > Preferences > Simulation, and then under Calculation Method is showing Extended Barrowman.

Probably I want to keep Extended Barrowman, but no change seems available if I wanted to experiment with something else. In other words, any drop-down box is grayed out. Does a way to change this option exist?

On the very same dialog box, incidentally, under Simulation Method, I am seeing only 6-DOF Runge-Kutta 4. I am really not interested in changing this, but no change is possible in any event. Should different options exist?

However, under Geodetic Calculations, I do see a drop-down box allowing Flat Earth, Spherical Approximation (which I use — is that the best?), and WGS ellipsoid. Also changeable is the time step. Mine is set to 0.05 seconds.

So, my main question please is whether I could change the Calculation Method to something other than Extended Barrowman.

Thank you.

Stanley

Probably I want to keep Extended Barrowman, but no change seems available if I wanted to experiment with something else. In other words, any drop-down box is grayed out. Does a way to change this option exist?

If the drop down is grayed-out, then, well, there is nothing else to choose. You could hack into the source code and roll your own.

On the very same dialog box, incidentally, under Simulation Method, I am seeing only 6-DOF Runge-Kutta 4. I am really not interested in changing this, but no change is possible in any event. Should different options exist?

You are not interested in changing RK4, but you still want more options anyway? Regardless, RK4 is the best algorithm for the rocket trajectory equations. No need for anything else.

However, under Geodetic Calculations, I do see a drop-down box allowing Flat Earth, Spherical Approximation (which I use — is that the best?), and WGS ellipsoid. Also changeable is the time step. Mine is set to 0.05 seconds.

Try changing the values and see for yourself how the results are affected.

Hi TRF colleagues,

In OpenRocket this sequence exists: Edit > Preferences > Simulation, and then under Calculation Method is showing Extended Barrowman.

So, my main question please is whether I could change the Calculation Method to something other than Extended Barrowman.

Thank you.

Stanley
(sorry, didn't see your post until now)

The code is written so other calculation techniques could be used; for instance if you didn't mind a sim taking hours or days using CFD instead of Barrowman you could select that. But extended Barrowman is all that's been implemented to date.

Back