Securing a SMT nose bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy3003

Reaction score
So I've bought a nose bay to install a tracker and I can't decide or figure out the best way to mount it without being worried that I will loose the nose cone.
I thought there was enough meat in the shoulder to drill and taper the holes but I dont think I can get enough taper to get the screws countersunk enough to slide the shoulder into the top of the payload bay.
The other option I thought about was to remove the small shoulder on the bay and push it up further and use set screws through where the nose and shoulder are glued together.
Any ideas would be helpful.20210606_115242.jpg20210606_115253.jpg

Before going another route, I'd be inclined to harden that taper with thin epoxy or CA and go over it again, maybe a couple of times. Then try filing the screw head down fit.

That may work, trying it now. I still may rig up some sort of short tie off inside the nose just in case.

I got it now with some advice from above. I was wanting to keep nosecone with just shear pins and not have to drill for rivets, etc. The screw heads actually sanded down alot easier than I would have thought.
I was able to attach the bay into the nose with screws and still just use shear pins for nose to payload bay connection.

Probably too late in construction, but you could attach the NC shoulder to the av-bay internally/permanently and put your counter sunk screws through the NC to the NC shoulder tube to hold everything in. You could still use the shear pins through the payload bay tube and NC shoulder.

Probably too late in construction, but you could attach the NC shoulder to the av-bay internally/permanently and put your counter sunk screws through the NC to the NC shoulder tube to hold everything in. You could still use the shear pins through the payload bay tube and NC shoulder.
Yeah I had already epoxied in the shoulder before I bought the bay. That would have been the easiest, most secure way. There's always next time to do it right!

Back