Second Build- Citation Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
As much as I loved building and flying Big Bertha, as my first build in almost 50 years, the Citation Patriot was a lot of fun, came out better, and enabled me to work on some advanced skills. I used StickerShock 23 vinyl decals. I papered the fins. I used the Estes Fin Alignment Guide jig. The paint is enamel (yes, I know), And, the clear is Pledge Floor Gloss. Not perfect, but fort aa second build? I am thrilled with the results. One coat of Rustoleum in 1 sandable primer, which I sanded down to near nothingness, just enough to fill the spirals. But would definitely paper the fins again. Would I spring again for vinyl decals? Doubtful. 274948269_10159051226104527_5923505676800251812_n.jpg
274930425_10159051226164527_9207182991989978269_n.jpg
274831796_10159051226274527_1514921154651272513_n.jpg

Great 2nd build! Kudos to you!!

Only comment is your launch lug looks a little flattened (but that may be the photo itself). Sometimes, the glue will shrink, and pull the launch lug out-of-round. I (and a few others) will typically put a rod in the lug as it dries, to maintain the round shape!

Vinyl, as with all finishing, takes practice. And vinyl in this case, might be overkill. Not sure if the kit came with water slide decals, or "stickers", but you tried it! Vinyl is usually the only way to go once the rocket gets into the MPR / HPR size.

Looks great, this is one of my all-time favorite rockets. Even though it's just a 3FNC, the decals really set it off. Did you start with the Estes kit? I have 2, but haven't opened one yet, since I built a clone using Excelsior decals before it was re-released.

Looks good.
This is one of those rockets that I didn't care for until it was OOP. I am glad they re-released it. Have one in the build pile, and just ordered a 3" Red Max just to steal the nose cone for a 3" Citation Patriot. 3" will require Stickershock's help.

Looks great, this is one of my all-time favorite rockets. Even though it's just a 3FNC, the decals really set it off. Did you start with the Estes kit? I have 2, but haven't opened one yet, since I built a clone using Excelsior decals before it was re-released.
This is the Estes kit. It is in full production.

Great 2nd build! Kudos to you!!

Only comment is your launch lug looks a little flattened (but that may be the photo itself). Sometimes, the glue will shrink, and pull the launch lug out-of-round. I (and a few others) will typically put a rod in the lug as it dries, to maintain the round shape!

Vinyl, as with all finishing, takes practice. And vinyl in this case, might be overkill. Not sure if the kit came with water slide decals, or "stickers", but you tried it! Vinyl is usually the only way to go once the rocket gets into the MPR / HPR size.
Flattened? Look how close the lens was to the rocket, If you know how to capture such a photo without significant barrel distortion, I'd love to know.

This is the Estes kit. It is in full production.
It had been OOP for a while, and was one of those kits that was re-released in the recent few years. It does appear in the 2022 Catalog, but there is not a page for this rocket available to purchase on the Estes web site directly at the moment. I think they may have many of these kits available in-stock at most of the typical rocketry stores, but I am not really sure if Estes is producing and shipping any more of these new kits at the moment, maybe it will return to their site? It has a great artwork is a good sized rocket and can fly on a variety of engines for various size fields, lots of fun overall. Glad you are enjoying this one, it is a real favorite classic kit for many, looks great, nice job with the build, thanks for sharing your experience here with us!

Nice to know that you where able to use the Estes Fin alignment jig, which was discussed earlier. And concur, Rocket look's good. Better than anything i done.

It had been OOP for a while, and was one of those kits that was re-released in the recent few years. It does appear in the 2022 Catalog, but there is not a page for this rocket available to purchase on the Estes web site directly at the moment. I think they may have many of these kits available in-stock at most of the typical rocketry stores, but I am not really sure if Estes is producing and shipping any more of these new kits at the moment, maybe it will return to their site? It has a great artwork is a good sized rocket and can fly on a variety of engines for various size fields, lots of fun overall. Glad you are enjoying this one, it is a real favorite classic kit for many, looks great, nice job with the build, thanks for sharing your experience here with us!
Thank you- it was a lot of fun to build, and should be even more fun to fly. I hope it never goes out of production.

Nice to know that you where able to use the Estes Fin alignment jig, which was discussed earlier. And concur, Rocket look's good. Better than anything i done.
Thank you. Not bad for this 58 year old novice, eh?!

Back