Screw Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all! I'm I've looked online for nearly an hour for the block type switch that uses the allen key to close and cannot find anything even remotely close to it other than the link provided above.

Can anyone say for sure where this switch can be found (hopefully for around $3-$4/unit or less), or where one can purchase a good, SMALL, mechanical switch that would fit HPR applications?

I've used the 110/220V switches down to body tubes of 2.25", but I'm finding them tight to fit in AV Bays for anything smaller.

Thank you!

Chuck, thank you, but I'm trying to find them in the $3 - $4 range. Do they exist?

Nope. You can't even make them for that.

If that is your price, twist the wires together, tuck them back into the hole, and tape them to the edge of the hole.

Please don't tuck. Tape to the outside of the airframe. That way you can easily disable the electronics.

I agree with this. I only tuck a little and step the ends of the wires to the edge of the hole. Turning it off is impossible if you insert the whole wire into the AV bay.

Please don't tuck. Tape to the outside of the airframe. That way you can easily disable the electronics.

Aaaaahhhh but there is a way to do this without taping to the airframe. Drill 2 holes next to each other ~1/4" apart that are big enough for your wires to be twisted together to fit through. Have the pair of wires together sticking out one hole, twist together, shove twisted end through the other hole. Now you are left with a little hump of wire sticking out not needing tape. Fly the rocket and if everything goes well, pick it up and you can easily pull up on said hump of wire and untwist as needed once you are tired of listening to the beeping.

-Dave

Aaaaahhhh but there is a way to do this without taping to the airframe. Drill 2 holes next to each other ~1/4" apart that are big enough for your wires to be twisted together to fit through. Have the pair of wires together sticking out one hole, twist together, shove twisted end through the other hole. Now you are left with a little hump of wire sticking out not needing tape. Fly the rocket and if everything goes well, pick it up and you can easily pull up on said hump of wire and untwist as needed once you are tired of listening to the beeping.

-Dave

Yup, that's a nice clean way to do it, Dave.

People should be wary of putting too much of the exposed twisted end into the av-bay lest it short on something. Or put a bit of tape around the exposed wires as insulation.

I only see one switch on your site, the arming switch ($8.50). Is that the one that you recommend Mike? I might try it.
Yes, those are the ones. I have used them several times before, plus they are included with Mike's av-bay kits.

Strange, I sort of did the same thing but I didn't over torque the screw. I just pushed so hard on the screwdriver I cracked the circuit board. :blush:
Jeez, how hard do you people tighten your switches??

I just got a bunch of larger PCB switches from Landru for only $2.95 each and I think they will be easier to work with and they are more robust than Featherweights. I think I'll put a longer screw in and crimp the end of the threads so it can't back out in transport and can be jammed in the OFF position so it can't self arm. They can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/200819067/pcb-screw-switch?ref=shop_home_active_6
I believe these are the exact same ones that MissileWorks sells. Speaking of which!

Mine arrived last weekend:
IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg
And here we have 2 of them installed in my 54mm av-bay. Note they are a bit bigger than the Featherweight switches, but work the exact same way.

Everyone! Please do not turn this thread into a debate about twist & tape! That already happened on the TRA list not too long ago...

Everyone! Please do not turn this thread into a debate about twist & tape! That already happened on the TRA list not too long ago...

Ha!

I wouldn't get real worried about it...NOTHING that happens on TRF can compare to the utterly useless debates and of-topic anecdotal stories that have nothing to do with the original topic that often happens on that list. Not to mention all the inside jokes that unless you are a Texan with a polish surname or have spent copious amounts of time in Black Rock are probably not going to understand. What that list needs is a much bigger ban-stick for Bubba to use. The people there are good folks for the most part but good grief can they talk it up worse than a 7th grader on a 6-pack of Mountain Dew.

So in other words, I'd say while it's a little heavy handed at times the mods 'round these parts do a pretty good job.

Ha!

I wouldn't get real worried about it...NOTHING that happens on TRF can compare to the utterly useless debates and of-topic anecdotal stories that have nothing to do with the original topic that often happens on that list. Not to mention all the inside jokes that unless you are a Texan with a polish surname or have spent copious amounts of time in Black Rock are probably not going to understand. What that list needs is a much bigger ban-stick for Bubba to use. The people there are good folks for the most part but good grief can they talk it up worse than a 7th grader on a 6-pack of Mountain Dew.

So in other words, I'd say while it's a little heavy handed at times the mods 'round these parts do a pretty good job.
Amen to that!!

The amount of inside jokes, off-topic conversations (NASA etc), and utter BS on that list is remarkable. I had my main email address subscribed there for less than a month before I changed it to an old Gmail account that I only check once a week or so (sucks anyway) for that exact reason. You've hit the nail on the head - and yes, the mods on here do an excellent job!

Back