SCRA Launch 01/14/12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
My friend and I went to the local club launch to fly some of my recent projects.
Round5.jpg

First up was a Big Bertha with a baffle and dual 18mm cluster on two B6-4s.
BigBertha.jpg

Nice straight flight, but the parachute didn't open... until about 40 feet from the ground. :y: Phew!

Next was the Phoenix, named for the fact that it was made from a body tube that was cut down in order to extract an improperly installed motor mount in my rocketry class. The student got a new tube to try again, and I got a short body to challenge my design skills with. The first flight with an A8-3 was great, and the landing just put a little dent in one fin.
PhoenixA8-3.jpg

The next one was questionable as to its ability to fly straight, and Fred seemed very interested in its performance. After calling heads up, the Razor Blade flew with a slight corkscrew on an A8-3, and snap back put a little dent in the body and a matching tattoo on the nose cone.
RazorBladeA8-3.jpg

With successful first flights out of the way, we moved on and flew the Phoenix and the Razor Blade on B6-4 motors. The Phoenix went out of sight, but reappeared quickly and landed unscathed. The Razorblade again did a little dance, but it seemed less squirmy than with the smaller motor.
RazorBladeLaunch.jpg

Still, the nose cone was determined to keep a flight record on the body tube.

With it warmer, and with Fred's instruction on using talcum on the chute, the Big Bertha went back to the rack with two C6-5s aboard. This gave another excellent flight, and the parachute deployed and opened on cue, but that made it drift enough to get me my exercise for the day.
BigBerthaLaunch.jpg

As a bonus, it landed about 20' from an altimeter and chute someone else had been spending over 30 minutes searching for.

When the Phoenix disappeared for a second on the previous launch, my friend turned into a little boy again and asked "Can we put a C6-5 in it next? Pleeeeeeaaase?" Heck, it's made mostly from spare and salvaged parts. I won't cry if I never see it again. Once again, a very straight flight and we couldn't see it for what seemed forever. He spotted it and found that the landing had not been as kind as the previous two flights.
PhoenixC6-5.jpg

Then for the moment of truth: Can the Razor Blade fly on a C6-5 like I designed it to? The answer was yes. Even more stable than the previous flights, and this time the nose cone took it easy on the body!
RazorBladeC6-5.jpg

Still some time left, so we loaded up the Sunflower, which has 6 basswood fins canted at 10 degrees to try and get it spinning. It misfired, so we waited for the next round and prepped a Phoenix II (same story as the original phoenix). The Sunflower misfired again, but the Phoenix II did fine on an A8-3. 3rd time is a charm, so the Sunflower got off the pad the next time and it looked like it was spinning like a propeller... or it could have just been the blur from me not wearing my glasses. I thought the high mounted fins would be safe, but I obviously should have used a chute instead of a streamer on that one.
SunflowerA8-3.jpg

By the end of the day, we had made 12 flights and nothing came back beyond repair. Now my friend is talking about building up a few for the next launch. :cool:

Last edited:
That was a awesome day of flying I'd say!The weather here has been great ..but I'm out of estes and reloads..must..wait..til..pay..day:(

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I could go there or Lucerne... oh well. :eek: Looks like a great time!
If I was into HPRs (my wife and wallet would both kill me if I tried), I probably would have gone out there myself. I might go out just to watch the big rockets some day. Do people launch LPRs at the Lucerne club launches as well, or is it pretty much just the big toys?

You should go! Look, I enjoy SCRA launches as they are 45 minutes away as opposed to 2 hours away. And if not conflicting with ROC, I go! :wink:

But Rocket for Rocket, LPR and MPR are the rule even at ROC . The LPR pads, A thru D are used as much if not more, than the E-I pads mid row pads. And FAR FAR more than the away pads with K thru M. LPR is quite welcome at ROC. So there is no reason to avoid ROC if flying LPR. You'd be in good company.

That said, there is no reason to not go to SCRA launches as they are fine for 1/8A thru G and under 500gms. One can only hope that someday the 500gm model rocket limit is dropped. SCRA launches are well run, close, and convenient and for much of the year, and excellent LPR/MPR site.

This month the dates overlap... I wanted to fly HPR and over 500gm. I'll attend plenty of SCRA launches. Can't beat twice a month! :D

Last edited:
If I was into HPRs (my wife and wallet would both kill me if I tried), I probably would have gone out there myself. I might go out just to watch the big rockets some day. Do people launch LPRs at the Lucerne club launches as well, or is it pretty much just the big toys?

What Jeff said, they launch many, many, many LPR rockets at Lucerne. When you go, bring your rockets, not only will you get to launch, you can also check it out. Win Win

Now, back to SCRA's launch.... That's my Executioner in the first pic. That Razor Blade flew best on the C motor, very nice. I see you had the same trouble I did with the playa, too dang hard. We (Kole and I) flew about 8 or 10 rockets and 4 busted a fin on landing. But it was nice to finally get out and launch after a year and a half....

Glad to see your Sunflower finally got off the pad as well.....

I wish sometimes to be close enough to go to the SCRA launches again but it isnt much closer than Lucerne for me and I fly mostly HPR, but it was fun to attend Marty's dynasty:rolleyes: a few years ago! :D

At only 4 hours long, I'd have to agree there. You need to be in the OC/LA area for it to be worth the drive. ROC, if you get there early enough, you have 7 to 8 hours or so.

There was a father/son team out of Santa Barbara doing a science fair experiment on Saturday. I was glad to see that, despite some early setbacks, they were able to gather and record all the data they needed by the end of the day.

There was a father/son team out of Santa Barbara doing a science fair experiment on Saturday. I was glad to see that, despite some early setbacks, they were able to gather and record all the data they needed by the end of the day.

They were the one with the Solar Flare, right? Interesting experiment they had, but it flew much better once they started using the booster.

That's my Executioner in the first pic.
Very nice. My friend and I stopped hunting for our rockets to watch that one blast off. It's funny how altitude isn't the biggest wow factor, but rather the size of the rocket and/or the amount of noise that turns the most heads.

They were the one with the Solar Flare, right? Interesting experiment they had, but it flew much better once they started using the booster.
I think they were the ones with the Skylofter and the nose cone experiment, but I am terrible with names and faces, so I could easily have mixed up people's stories.

Back