Saucer plans??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
Im a scratch builder at heart and I was wondering if there are plans out there for a 38mm saucer. I was thinking some where around 2 ft diameter? I saw one (small one) fly at our club launch this past weekend and I loved it. They are so simple looking. If no one knows of any plans can I get a list of materials and instructions?

Attached is the design I use. The dimensions are in terms of the motor tube OD so a 38mm one would be about 16" diameter. I've built these in 24, 54, and 98mm sizes. I converted the biggest one for night flight, thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=16067

For the 54mm one, I used 1/8" plywood for the ribs and 1/16" plywood for the skin. For a 38, I would use either 1/32" plywood or glassed cardstock for the skin, keeping 1/8 plywood for the ribs.

Saucer Dimensions-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mine have 12 as they were all prototypes for the 40" one. Smaller ones can use less. The saucer will be much more rigid with a flat bottom plate. Mine are open on the underside. Attached pictures are of the 23", 54mm motor one.

Saucer Bottom-1.jpg

Saucer Top-1.jpg

On a serious note, these are way cool plans.

You may have sparked my interest in attempting a build like this.

:cool:

Back