Saturn V wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That happens to a lot of my pictures when I resize them to keep it under the file size limit.

Hi Guys,
I put 3.8 ounces or 108 grams of weight in the nose of my rocket tonight. I have done all the work on the body to repair the wrap glues damage I care too. It will look great at 15 to 30 feet but then so does my motherinlaw. Next is the decals and the clip whip for five engines. Then I have to hook up the chutes which were mailled from the states on April 1st. Must be coming by camel or the knobs in customs are bored again. The good news is it does not get dark up here now until 9 pm so in the next week or so the old S5 should be be heading up.
Cheers
fred

Here are the pictures I promised. It sort of looks like a saturn five:)

Needed an angled blast palte fro the five motors so heres my economical soloution. I used a drilled regular blast palte and washers. Worked great on the recker:)

Looking good Fred!

Though if I get another Sat V, I will want to try keeping the nozzles in place during flight. :)

The paint job came out nicely! Did you use an airbrush for that, or was it Krylon or some facsimile thereof?

Spray bombs and lots of masking tape. I touched up a lot with paint markers as well. Thanks very much for the kind words. I am sure yours will turn out well.
Cheers
fred

All testors right from primer to paint paint markers. Needed to keep consistent I guess.
Cheers
fred

Got my nylon chutes tofay:) Now i have to build a five barrelled clip whip and attach a recovery sytem to the S5. Hopefully will have launch pictures soon.
Cheers
Fred

Fred -
I don't know of any way to get one of those wraps off once it's attached. I agree you should leave it as it is. I had the same problem on my first Saturn V and no one ever noticed. That was a fun rocket to build. Folks don't believe me when I tell them it cost my dad $12.75... Of course, that was in the early 70's.

John

Hi john, No worries,
It's flawed but it looks okay. I am going to set up the chutes and soon it will be launch time:)

Success or failure it will be spectacular. If you hear a loud scream that sounds enraged and you cannot identify the source that is probably me after a power prang. Then of course there is the manly sobbing:)

Well guys launch and flight pics from today. More then the saturn five. SWaturn five lit on all motors. Flew beautiful but some recovery problems. Need to repair moto mounts vacform wings and repair escape tower but all doable. my wife did the pics so enjoy:)
On the pad

Heres what 4 C6-5's and one D12-5 look like all lit up at once:)

here the Candian arrow on the pad. I still have to paint the maple leaf pattern but wanted to see it fly today:)

Chute got a little tangled and i got a cracked fin but fixeable and nice flight:0

Just beautiful!

I was wondering. Are those scale-like fins? Does the real Saturn-V have fins?

Your model looks stable. I was wondering since I am intrigued about scale models of rockets with small fins, or no fins.

Thank you for your good work.

real saturn 5 jas fins but these are bigger then scale to provide stability for the model:)

NICE SHOTS!!!!!

That's a beautiful thing! I still remember my younger brother's only flight with his Sat V. A single D12, good ignition, flies up to 60 or 70 feet and turns down. The model ejected the tower directly into the ground, and the rest was badly damaged....... but for a brief second or two, it was the coolest flight I've witnessed in person. Five flames certainly ups the "cool" ante! Great job on the model, and congratulations on a beautiful flight!

Originally posted by fred22
Nice in flight shot:)

Nice??? Nice??? You are far too modest...How about AWESOME in flight shot!!! :cool: That is one of the best pics I have ever seen.

Your wife took some great pictures. What did she use for equipment?

Congrats on a great project...

JJ

canon 20 D, 70 to 200mm 2.8 leneses 200 ISO. She does well with a camera:)

Back