Saturn V wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No flash can work well but put the rocket in a high ambient light. If you buy a epson printer you get epson film factory and no friendlier a photo program was ever made in my opinion. Reading the book is a pin in the petute but is great for your pictures. Try setting the ISO at 400 manually and shoot within about six feet of your target. Next trip to the camera shop i will test drive one and have better advice.
Cheers
fred

Another option: Place a piece of Kleenex in front of the flash. It will reduce the light to keep the highlights from getting blown out. If it's still too bright, fold the Kleenex in half and try again.

Hi Guys,
I just assembled the fins and cut out the fairings. Thos fairings look to be incredibly delicate and I wanted to bounce a few ideas off you.
1.) I am doing a five engine cluster so should I or do I need to beef them up?
2.) Can I beef them up with a very thin layer of epoxy on the inside or will this damge them?
3.) Can I or should I attach the fin to the fairing with epoxy?
4.) Can I cut out a piece of balsa or card stock to at least reinforce the bottom of these things?
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by fred22
Hi Guys,
I just assembled the fins and cut out the fairings. Thos fairings look to be incredibly delicate and I wanted to bounce a few ideas off you.
1.) I am doing a five engine cluster so should I or do I need to beef them up?
2.) Can I beef them up with a very thin layer of epoxy on the inside or will this damge them?
3.) Can I or should I attach the fin to the fairing with epoxy?
4.) Can I cut out a piece of balsa or card stock to at least reinforce the bottom of these things?
Cheers
fred

IIRC, on the Centuri version, the bottom of the fairing was left on, which provided enough bracing. Are you saying you cut that area away?

#1. the number of motors should have no effect, as long as the fairings are attached well.
#2. Epoxy will just eventually delaminate from the fairing and add unnecessary weight where you don't want it (especially if you are adding motors).
#3. No. see #2. Use plastic cement carefully.
#4. Sounds like a good idea. Look up the Estes K-36 or #2001 instructions on JimZ for patterns and an example of how it was done there. The Estes paper fairings were much more fragile.

I cut off a little bit. I have never worked with vacform before or wraps for that matter. I managed to mialign the wraps quite a bit. I am now in the process of trying to make it look somewhat like a saturn 5. Inspite of my mistake I am determined to persevere. It's been a great learning experiance even if an expensive one. Marking the tube accurately is now on the top of my list of things to do in future projects. I should have drawn two lines for the tunnels to go up and the wraps to line up on. Oh well live and learn.
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by fred22
(snip.) Marking the tube accurately is now on the top of my list of things to do in future projects. I should have drawn two lines for the tunnels to go up and the wraps to line up on. Oh well live and learn.
I still remember a comment from a seamstress that is directly applicable to model building.

In her world the saying is “measure twice, cut once.”

In our world, it would be “measure twice, dry-fit twice, cut (or cement) once.”

This has been invaluable advice for me. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Mike_BAR
I still remember a comment from a seamstress that is directly applicable to model building.

In her world the saying is “measure twice, cut once.”

In our world, it would be “measure twice, dry-fit twice, cut (or cement) once.”

This has been invaluable advice for me. I hope this helps.

My method is:

1: Measure with calipers
2: Mark with Chalk
3: Cut with chainsaw

:)

Well to salvage the general appearance of the rocket I will paint the roll pattern where it should go. I will place the decals where they should go relative to the accurate roll pattern. Sure it's a kludge but hopefully it will help.
Cheers fred

Well to those of you who are curious I took a drastic step. I peeled off those wraps and put them where they were supposed to go. It was tricky but i managed. This leaves me with some unsightly glue ick left on the upper part of the tube but thats a problem for another day. I also need to fabricate some more of the dowelling for the tunnel but thats in the same category as the glue ick. I also when I removed the lower wrap peeled off some of the outer layer of the tube. I broke out some clear repair tape and put several wraps around the peeled spot. Stuff could probably hold a fender on a truck so I hope thats that. Upwards and onwards.
Cheers
Fred

Hi folks,
Got most of the glue off and started the recovery hook thing in the CSM. Man thats an odd little sucker to fit in. Only thing left is chutes when they come and the launch lugs. Should be done that tonight. I may not do another masters kit until I retire as it has felt like i would not finish this one before i did.
Cheers
fred

I don't know how many rockets I've built since I started the Saturn V. Its probably about 40 or so.

I love this kit, because of its many parts and pieces. But if I had a bigger workspace, then I probably wouldn't have taken so long to build it. Everything is kinda jammed close together in "the rocket room" (as my wife calls it), and it's a bit discouraging when building a complicated kit.

But I'll be getting back on it as my giant Commanche-3 is done. I wanted to finish that one before the TRF meeting. :)

I have a love hate thing going with it. It is a very difficult set of training wheels for my skill building. The wraps still arent perfect and details could be better but overall I am liking it. I am doing one rocket at a time as my ability to multitask is consumed by family and business nevermind rockets. I think I will prime it then paint it all white. I will then tape the roll pattern and hand paint it as I do not own a airbrush and buying a cheap one as I understand it is just not the way to go.
Cheers
fred

Spray cans will work just fine but!

Use your favorite white paint and since this model really doesn't have a lot of black square inches to cover the Testors spray black enamel is your best bet.

Be sure it's ENAMEL.

Good coverage over white and it doesn't seem to react with any other paints.

Buy some really really good masking tape!

Thanks Sandman. I bought a bunch of testors stuff for that purpose.
Cheers
fred

the plan is
1.)Use testors primer on whole ship
2.)Paint all white testors again
3.) Using tape outline the roll pattern and hand paint it black.
3.) Spray paint CSM silver again with testors
Cheers
Fred

The rocket was just primed. The CSM and Lem were great but remnants of the glue where I had to move the second stage wrap have come back to haunt me. I rubbed off as much as I could with enamel thinner and tried to sand but some stayed on. Oh well.
Cheers
fred

Hi Guys,
The chutes are definately coming as I phoned the vendor today. Given the amount of paint I lathered on this thing it will need them. It looks not bad from the lem up but the body tube is another story. I still have to attach the RCS units, finish the roll pattern on the main body tubes and finish the paint near the engine bells. Then there are the decals. Hopefully they will distract.
Cheers
Fred

What size parachute did you get for it?

I bought a 36" Top-Flight intended for a Maxi HoJo, but I was going to use it on the Sat V. But I am now considering getting a 48" chute to protect that plastic tower. :)

Finally pulled out the Weldwood today, and let me just reiterate that the plastic wraps will NEVER move. I know, I know, never say never. Well, who ever said that didn't have the chance to use Weldwood!

I did have a problem with the applicator as it seemed a bit messy, and had a few problems. Primarily a small pool of cement would get into some of the detailed portions of the wraps and would melt them somewhat. Nothing bad enough to consider a total loss, but it's definitely doable.

It's finally starting to look like a Saturn V!

I got three nylon chutes. One 18 for the top and two 24,s for the bottom. Same as the kit except i sibstituted nylon. Mine sort of looks like a saturn I guess

To fred22 & TheRadiator,

I have one question and the answer better be good!

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!???? :mad:

Didn't have the time to post before church this morning. But here they are. :)

This is a shot with all the wraps on and without any tape holding them together!

The wraps got Jasper the cat so excited he couldn't wait to crash test the Saturn V. :)

You can also see I got a little sloppy with the cement. :eek:

Cool! a Saturn V with a racoon tail!

To get the rest of the glue out of the corners I used an old dental pick (not a toothpick!) and an Exacto knife.

Use the knife to "gently" score around the edges to break the glue loose then scrape it out.

"Gently!"

So, are you going to have it ready for Whitaker next week?

I think I will. It won't fly though. No way I'll be able to finish and paint it by Saturday. And I won't fly it nekkid. It's a rule I've had in place. I have several projects on the paint stand this week and I'll hafta grind it to get them all done in time. March and April weather was NOT cooperative for painting. But this week will be good for it.

hi there,
I will post pictures soon when I am done. What amazes me is how hard i have worked to get such poor results. When i had to move the body wraps I thought I had got off a lot of glue till I painted it. In short it looks good from the lem up but like hell inspite of all my efforts on the main body tube. I got a roll pattern on it but the tape I used to repair the tube after I pulled of the wrap sticks out like a diamond in a goats ear. Maybe a soft focus. I seriously question how much more time i want to put into this beast as i have been working on it for for what seems like forever. On a more postive note i have learned lots and my Canadian Arrow will benefit from that i hope.
Cheers
fred

Hi Guys,
heres the upper part. Not to bad I guess

Really bad picture. i will get my wife to help on the morrow.
Cheers
Fred

Back