SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be wiring up the MIRAGE for DD tonight. And still hoping for the replacement airframe for the LOC 4-29SS on Monday. Flying with or without. 2-G53-10FJ . For the March 10th launch...yahooo

Are you going to build an ebay for the LOC 4-29SS? It would be really useful when you load it up with four G engines (you know you want to). :wink:

Are you going to build an ebay for the LOC 4-29SS? It would be really useful when you load it up with four G engines (you know you want to). :wink:

Great Idea!!! Maybe DD or Airstart 2 of em? !!:cool:

Last edited:
Yahoo. Got the 3" airframe for my Loc 4-29SS. Will have it back to stock for Tuesday morning. SARA mid week launch

Great field cleanup/launch day! I cleaned up lots of weeds and continued my unbroken streak of destroying an airframe at every launch:eyepop: My Mini-DX-3 on its maiden flight blew out the forward closure on a AT G52 (my fault, wrong O-ring in the front) and caught on fire in flight, its a good thing we cleared out the weeds, otherwise this would have done it for us! My Mini-Pterodactyl had four exciting flights, in which I demonstrated a complete lack of ability to set delays on AT reloads properly. Two flights included absolutely perfect lawn darts, six inches into hard pack AZ dirt. The second one finally destroyed the nose cone. I have to keep telling myself that this is cheaper than rebuilding BMWs. At least I didn't lose any electronics this time.

We had a productive day at the SARA launch site today. Thank you to all who showed up to cleanup the area. It looks great.!!!! We had guite a good turnout. And yes we got to fly a bunch.

Nice to meet you all, here are some pics. Thanks ed for lighting mine off so I could get pics!

DSC_0451_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0448_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0494_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0533_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0534_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0554_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0555_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0616_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0617_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0619_edited-1.jpg

On board video and some more pics

DSC_0443_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0440_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0441_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0445_edited-2.jpg

[video=youtube_share;mxDF2IApXUk]https://youtu.be/mxDF2IApXUk[/video]

Evilash....It was great to meet you and glad you made it out. Thank you for your hard work out there and thanks for posting the pics. We had a great time.
And thanks to all who made it out. It was good to meet * work* and fly with you all.
Thanks Brett again for the coffee and donuts from DD. And for theBigDrag.-race.
G80-7's were cool .and for manning the DR brush mower Ken brought out. I don't know about everyone else but I got a good sun burn. A couple hand blisters from the hula hoe. But we sure had a great time today. And to my wonderful wife for making sure we all observed the safety on the range(lol).And for plucking my 4-29SS out of that pesky tree while we got kens vulcanite ready for launch.Awesome Day. I don't remember all the names but thankyou all.You know who you are.:)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your hard and very fruitful work!
Great time.
Monkey Pirate AT G64 Post evaluation. Aft O-ring was not installed correctly.
Lesson learned: always double check a reload that you do not actual know the condition of.
Randy could you post the pictures to SARA's Flicker and or Facebook accounts.
again thanks to all!

Sorry I missed this one, too! I hope my work schedule will slacken over the summer, so please keep announcing the mid-week launches and site clean up missions here?

Ken thanks for getting the SARA site available !!! Great participation and we sure had another fine launch. Thanks also to the board and President Sean Keane.

Sorry I missed this one, too! I hope my work schedule will slacken over the summer, so please keep announcing the mid-week launches and site clean up missions here?
We hope to see you at the next one

Thanks to everyone for your hard and very fruitful work!
Great time.
Monkey Pirate AT G64 Post evaluation. Aft O-ring was not installed correctly.
Lesson learned: always double check a reload that you do not actual know the condition of.
Randy could you post the pictures to SARA's Flicker and or Facebook accounts.
again thanks to all!

Yes sir...and I need to secure that 9v battery. Lol

I am rebuilding the pyramid from scratch. I swear I am going to get that rear ejection to work if it's the last thing I do. Or at least before building a 3x night version

So what are you guys building for Desert Heat? (March 28 and 29th). I am midway thru constructing my upscale Solar Flare. Planning a shake down flight in daytime and a flight at night if it behaves itself on the first flight. With Art's help the ring fin is glassed and ready for sanding. The ebay and battery bays are partially done and the upper fins are ready to be glued on. I could not resist doing a dry assembly to see how it stacks up. It will fly with 300 RGB LEDS for its first flights. I will get serious with the lighting on future flights after I see its flight characteristics.

View attachment 254860View attachment 254862View attachment 254863
Any updates on this bird?

I am rebuilding the pyramid from scratch. I swear I am going to get that rear ejection to work if it's the last thing I do. Or at least before building a 3x night version

That is a pretty cool flying rocket I must say. A proper recovery would be good:cool: It reminds me of the old Centuri rocket "The Point" except under G power.

So I'll be traveling out to beautiful Tucson next week for what is shaping up to be a 2-3 week work trip. Looks like I'll be in town for Desert Heat! Now the question is, do i try and ship some rockets out, build a couple in the hotel, or just come out and volunteer on the range.... Tough decision. Either way, looking forward to being there (at the launch that is, in Tucson not so much, with all due respect to the folks that call it home)

Build em in the hotel. Fly and leave em to a couple lucky young rocketeers.(If appropriate):cool: and volunteer :cool:

Any updates on this bird?

The build is progressing. Primed and sanded. Used up two and half cans of rustoleum 2X yellow painting it (a real challenge to cover both the inside and outside of the ring and fins and not get runs). Have to finish up the sled and wiring on the ebay and get the clear upper stage finished. I think I will have it ready to fly in the daytime if nothing unexpected happens in the next week. I do not have enough time to get it wired up for a night flight as the LED's have not even arrived from China yet. Will post pictures later.

"Now the question is, do i try and ship some rockets out, build a couple in the hotel, or just come out and volunteer on the range"

Bring or build a night launch rocket! Our night launch is a real blast.

Last edited:
Build is progressing. Have to finish the ebay and the recovery harness. Setting up the forward section with RGB's in clear section and extending then into the nose cone. Still have to wire the extension into the nose.

RGB-leds.jpg

lots-of-yellow.jpg

Build is progressing. Have to finish the ebay and the recovery harness. Setting up the forward section with RGB's in clear section and extending then into the nose cone. Still have to wire the extension into the nose.

That is cool Terry, I hope to see it fly at one of those night launches. Will there be some night flying at NARAM?

Roy,
I have been trying to verify assignments.
I believe that Art Just is going to be RSO for Sport Range, and the hours have definitely been set to 0800 to 1400. I am sure he will accept all the help he can get! :)
I believe we will have a range signup sheet sometime in the near future! :wink:
F.Y.I.
NARAM57.org is now officially LIVE!
Thanks Ed LaCroix!
Ken - I Would be happy running the Sport Range from 0700 - 1300 !

Almost ready for a daytime test launch. It is so long and so oddly shaped that is quite a handful to work with.

pre-launch.jpg

Almost ready for a daytime test launch. It is so long and so oddly shaped that is quite a handful to work with.

View attachment 259280

Nice paint job, Terry! Going to send it up tomorrow I hope? Anyone know if sparkies will be allowed to fly on the J pads (are those still on the tarmac or are they in the dirt)? I know a crew was out for a brush-fest, but that was on the regular range.

Back