Salisbury NC LPR/MPR Launch - June 15, 2002

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, we tried to get them of the super shot, but that little bugger (probly doesn't weigh an ounce) on that motor was GONE the instant the motor ignited.

Originally posted by KenParker
Eugene - just for a point of clarification - the reason we were launching in that little clearing with trees all around it was because it had a little dirt patch with no grass that we could set the launch pads on. The field just on the other side of the tree line behind most of the pictures has grass in it, and the grass was so dry that we were afraid to set the pads out there for fear that the rocket exhaust would start a fire.

Glad you liked the pics.

No no...I totally understand. I believe that was mentioned in your first post. It just occurred to me that a lot of people seem to have little or no choice in the matter when it comes to trees and ranges. I just thought I'd point out the fact that most pictures I've seen have a lot of trees in them. You guys were just taking precautions. Heck, if all I had was forest and no clear space, I'd still fly. There isn't much that will stop me from flying rockets...especially a tree.

I've noticed that rocket eating trees are slow moving creatures. It is ok to launch near them because the rocket's speed off the pad easily out paces the speed the rocket eating tree can muster. However, on the slumbering descent of the parachute, the evil rocket eating trees can easily catch the rocket. Especially when allied with the equally evil wind.

:D

Latest posts

Back