Salisbury NC LPR/MPR Launch - June 15, 2002

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenParker

Reaction score
This is a launch report for the Low Power / Mid Power launch that we had in Salisbury, NC today.

Jason Myers and I arrived at Craig Ritchie's (aka Milo) house about 1:15PM. After a tour of Milo's very plush home theater which included watching the Pod Racing scene from the Star Wars movie we headed over to the launching field.

When we got to the field, we decided not to set up in the usual place because we are going through draught conditions here in North Carolina and the grass was dead, very brown, very dry, and we were afraid the launch exhaust would start a fire. After a brief examination of options, we found a spot with cleared dirt where we felt it was safe to launch. We quickly set up the pads and launch controller.

Flight 1 - Jason Myers got the first flight off with his Estes Flash on a B6-4. It definitely "flashed" off the pad.

Flight 2 - My Estes Python on a C11-5. Here's a little tip from your Uncle Ken: If you have a Python, and you decide to fly it on a C11, use a C11-3. With the 5 second delay it got the chute out about 10 feet above the ground. Way too close for comfort.

Flight 3 - Myers' Estes Mercury Redstone on C6-3. It is such a nice looking rocket that I took a picture of it just sitting on the pad and also got one of the liftoff.

Flight 4 - Myers' scratch built LSR on a D12-3. Nice rocket, nice flight.

Flight 5 - My Estes Longshot on a C11-5. For a C11 it got pretty darn good altitude.

Flight 6 - My Aerotech Cheetah on an E9-4. It was a neat flight. I probably wouldn't use an E9 for this bird if there was very much wind. Just for fun, I also snapped a pic of it while it was under chute.

Somewhere about this time Phil Gerringer showed up with his son and daughter in tow.

Flight 7 - Jason got the first RMS powered flight up with his Launch Pad Sparrow on an E28-4T 24mm RMS.

Flight 8 - Gerringer's LOC Aura on an E28-4T 24mm RMS. Monkey see, monkey do.

Flight 9 - Myers' Estes ARV Condor on a B6-4. All three pieces recovered safely but they were very close to trees.

Flight 10 - Myers' scratch built LSR again, this time on an E11-3J 24mm RMS.

Flight 11 - Gerringer's Estes Super Shot again, this time on a D9-7W 24mm RMS. The Super Shot was recovered just fine, but Phil discovered that it was sans the RMS hardware. I have two words for you, Phil: masking tape.

Flight 12 - I decided it was time to break out the Combat Jet. It went skyward on an F40 White Lightning 29/40-120 RMS. Phil got a great pic of the liftoff.

Flight 13 - Gerringer couldn't make it through the day with just an RMS hardware sacrifice to the rocket gods. He decided to donate his Estes Super Shot, too, so he loaded a single use F32-10W into it and pressed the button. Goodbye Super Shot !!!

Flight 14 - Myers had a great flight with his Estes Executioner on an E9-4. It was a beauteous flight. We all liked the long burn motor.

Flight 15 - I closed the day out with a final flight on the Combat Jet, this time on an F37W 29/60 RMS. I picked up a bunch of these little RMS reloadswhen I was up at Magnum Rockets in April, and I have been dying to try them. The F40 29/40-120 load that I normally use to fly the CJ is an 80ns motor, and these little F37's are 50ns. The thrust curves are similar, the F37 is just a shorter burn motor. I figured I would get about half the altitude on the F37's, and I was right. It's nice to have options.

I have pictures, and I have already prepped them - they have been reduced in size, given the proper orientation, and stored with short but descriptive names. I have to download some new software to use to upload them to the forum, and I hope to get that done tomorrow.

As usual, the participants had a great time. Thanks Milo for arranging this local event.

Oh yeah... in case any of you were wondering where Mark was.... he *said* he had to take his kids to Pennsylvania for their annual summer visit with his parents. Some people will go to any lengths to create an excuse to miss a local launch.

The next launch report that I file will hopefully be the Whitakers launch report at the end of June on the 29th and 30th. I can't wait !!!

- Ken

Here's a link to the pics that I ended up with, minus the numerous smoke trails (I'm not a very good photographer yet). ;)

I'm still learning this phpgraphy thing, so the thumbnails don't work, but the pics are there and the file names kinda say what they are.

Pics

Jason

HEHEHEHE... I figure that foot long Long Shot passed 3K on its way up. That will teach it to squeeze its butt cheaks and hold on to my RMS casing. :D

Well, it definitely sounds like you all really NEEDED to get out and have some fun...and that you did!!! Glad the launches went well and, though it may sound like Phil did another "launch to the godz", I am willing to bet it was good therapy to go postal on the rocket! :)

Once again, fine job guys...now if we can only get Ken to upload his pics...it would be perfect!

Carl

Nicely detailed review Ken.

I would have loved to see that Super Shot vanish. Some days I am tempted to build a rocket just for this reason. One of our guys shot his Black Brant II on an E30 hoping to go for an out-of-sight flight and with the expectation of not recovering it, but still managed to get it back! I guess there is some kind of outside force that picks which rockets will disappear.

Our theory is that thermals swell in open areas of the field while the patches of tree act as cold spots. Hence the reason rockets pick trees to land in.

I look forward to seeing something that is radio controlled fly at the July Whitakers meet.

Don't worry Eugene,

Phil still has his daughter's LOC Aura and a SU AT F72 motor.
There's still plenty of chance of an orbital rocket happening.

:D

Originally posted by KenParker

The next launch report that I file will hopefully be the Whitakers launch report at the end of June on the 29th and 30th. I can't wait !!!

- Ken

Where is this "Whitakers"? Is it very far from Greenville SC, ie my area?

Whitakers, NC is about 15-20 miles northeast of Rocky Mount, NC. It's about 2.5 hours from Greensboro.

Looks like it would be about a 5 1/2 hour drive for you. It's just a little over 300 miles. It's kind of a long trip but, it might be fun if you planned to come to one of the 2 day sport launches.

:D Luckily this upcoming launch is a 2 day event. :D

So dogsbd, you gonna make the trip? It would be good to meet you.

Originally posted by PGerringer
:D Luckily this upcoming launch is a 2 day event. :D

So dogsbd, you gonna make the trip? It would be good to meet you.

Man I'd like to, I'd like to meet you guys as well. I just don't know if I can swing it this time or not.

If not maybe I can arrange some of my vacation time around a later event.

June is the second quarters TRA/NAR meet. Sunday is a regular launch day, not experimental.

Oh... sorry... it is June isn't it? I was looking at July.

I'm making the 10 hour trek from Tampa, FL to NC for the July Whitakers meet. You guys better put on a good show! :rolleyes: I also plan on attempting my NAR L1 certification. ;)

BTW Ken, it's ok we don't need to see your pictures. :(

I suppose you have some excuse about not having any time or something like that. :D

goes something like "if the @%^&#$% Administrator would quit changing the way you have to upload pictures to the freakin' forum......."

Jeezs... you change stuff on this forum more often than you change underwear. (That was probably more information than a lot of the people wanted to know.)

For some of us, playing with new ways to program the computer has lost its fascination. Having at one point been conversant in both IBM's BAL (Basic Assembly Language) and Digital's Macro language (7 modes of address) and having written device drivers for some custom devices that to this day if I told you about I would have to kill you, at this point in my life, it's more of a pain in the frammus than a pleasure. You young punks today waste so many machine cycles and so much disk space... and then, to beat it all, it runs slow and crashes or locks up about half the time.....

Patience, my dear admin, is a virtue. One you seem to be lacking.

:D :D ;)

Ken,

Call the WHHHAAAAAAAmbulance!!! :D

gawd man, all that programing and it didn't make ya any smarter...sheesh...

WinSCP2 is a piece of cake to install and use...let me know if you need help...err...you always need help!!! Let me know if I can help...nope...that won't work either...

You're on you own Bubba!!!

Carl

Seems I struck a nerve. Did he just tell us he was writing code when I was in diapers?

I think I hear some sirens... :D

Dogsbd: I'm a little over an hour from you, and occasionally fly in Orangeburg. Next time I go [probably Labor Day weekend], I'll let you know. O-berg is only about 2 hours from you.

March Briner
Athens, GA

Milo, I've been a manager for so many years now I'm a nerveless SOB - hehehe.

Well, first of all, thanks to Carl who did save me a lot of time learning WinSCP2.0 - and rest assured Milo, that he gave me a ration and a half of cow doo-doo while he was doing it. Here are my long overdue pics of the Salisbury 06-15-02 launch.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/kparker/album/?dir=sl061502

And.... Whitakers is next weekend !!! YEEE-HAAA !!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!! Nice pics.

I only hope I have made it easier to add pictures. You can blame the hackers for not allowing us to use something as simple as FTP.

The combat jet looks great. And those black smoke trails... niiiccce!

Anyone notice how Gerringer's rockets are already out of the frame? I wasn't aware that the rocket gods struck so quickly upon takeoff.

Originally posted by gothique_97
Dogsbd: I'm a little over an hour from you, and occasionally fly in Orangeburg. Next time I go [probably Labor Day weekend], I'll let you know. O-berg is only about 2 hours from you.

March Briner
Athens, GA

Sounds good, I was thinking about Ogangeburg as well. I still want to get up to Whitackers sometime though, since so many on the board are there.

I would agree, Milo, that once you learn WinSCP adding pics now is a cinch. And the phpGraphy makes it really slick with the thumbnails for previews.

Ya gotta give Phil the Gerringer credit for the Combat Jet pics. He did a really good job. Those are probably the best liftoff pics I have of that bird.

Of course, there were no cows around to distract him... :D

I find humor in the fact that most of us complain about rocket eating trees. Yet, in most of the pictures that I see the pad is merely feet away from these terrible curses of nature. (And yes, check out some of my pictures. I am guilty of this too!)

I think my next method of rocketry will be to point the rod at the forest for luck, toss the motor in a campfire, give the parachute for my dog to chew up, swig some beer, scream and shout while doing a 360 to add to the disorientation, and pitch my rocket baseball style into the nearest oaktree. To finish, select some choice words and threaten the tree with its life. :D :D :D

Nice pics Ken!

Originally posted by eugenefl
I think my next method of rocketry will be to point the rod at the forest for luck, toss the motor in a campfire, give the parachute for my dog to chew up, swig some beer, scream and shout while doing a 360 to add to the disorientation, and pitch my rocket baseball style into the nearest oaktree. To finish, select some choice words and threaten the tree with its life.

Wow, Eugene, you have the Rocket God ceremony down pat. :)

And the reason the Super Shot pic doesn't have any flame is that it is a D something or nother. The pic we missed was the one on the F... You wanna talk about flame... :D

Eugene - just for a point of clarification - the reason we were launching in that little clearing with trees all around it was because it had a little dirt patch with no grass that we could set the launch pads on. The field just on the other side of the tree line behind most of the pictures has grass in it, and the grass was so dry that we were afraid to set the pads out there for fear that the rocket exhaust would start a fire.

Glad you liked the pics.

Back