S-Glass fabric source?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugachu

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a source for S-Glass (structural) fiberglass cloth? Most of what I can find is E-glass (electrical grade). I need to make a RF-transparent electronics bay, cause I can't fit everything that needs to transmit inside my nosecone. I plan on doing the first 3 wraps out of kevlar, and then the last 2-3 layers out of S-glass, as I can sand it smooth after. the Kevlar will not sand so easily.

Thanks,

I should probably mention that regular E-glass is transparent to radio waves, so it will work fine for an electronics bay. Carbon fiber is the material that blocks RF.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know E & S-glass, as well as kevlar are all RF transparent. I have a carbon 54mm bird, and want the RF transparent AV bay to be the same thickness as the carbon tube, while still being strong enough for mach 2+ flights. I want to use the S-glass to be the outer layer that can be sanded smooth, while still giving strength.

I haven't checked in a while what they have, but if all else fails, sometimes R&G in Germany is a good source for fabric etc.

Kevlar will wet sand with slightly open grit high quality sandpaper. I've done it many times. But yes, better to not have to, and the fine fibers are not at all good for your lungs.

I'd skip the Kevlar. It is absolutely lousy under compression. Just use S-glass for the whole thing. S-glass is also easier to get the proper fiber ratio. Kevlar takes more knowing what you are doing.

Gerald

I get all my fiberglass from US Composites. Can't speak highly enough of their costumer service. They don't have a super large selection but so far quality/quality control has been super good.

Latest posts

Back