Rustoleum Lacquer over Rustoleum Filler Primer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymeister99

Reaction score
Has anybody tried Rustoleum Lacquer over the Filler Primer?

Any suggestions on paint to use over the Rustoleum Filler Primer?

I use the Rustoleum filler primer all the time,I have used it with Krylon,Rustoleum and Dupli Color with with no problems.Have not tried it with the Lacquer,but I bet it would be ok

I use the rustoleum filler primer (in the auto section at Walmart and similar stores) as a base for all my rockets painted when it's warm out.

I usually hit it afterward with white Valspar spray primer.

Then (in the warm months) I use lacquers almost exclusively on top of that... I've found no problems using Rustoleum (black, white, chinese red, clear), valspar (white, black, clear), Duplicolor perfect match lacquers, Testors One Coat Lacquers, and so on.

Now that winter is upon me I've switched to acrylics (water based) for inside spraying...

Good luck!

One warning: stay away from the Rusto Bare Metal or Clean Metal primer. It's crap, and loves to wrinkle under lacquers.

Marc

One warning: stay away from the Rusto Bare Metal or Clean Metal primer. It's crap, and loves to wrinkle under lacquers.
That's because it's basically flat enamel paint; it's not a lacquer based primer (aka automotive primer). While it can be used as a primer for enamels, for all intents and purposes, it's not really well suited for general use. It takes days to sufficiently cure and can't be sanded soon after application like automotive primers can.

So, if you apply it like a regular primer, no doubt it will wrinkle if you shoot over it with lacquers :)

Doug

I have become a huge fan of the Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover as of late.

Now that winter is upon me I've switched to acrylics (water based) for inside spraying...

Which brand of acrylic spray paint do you use over the Rustoleum Filler Primer? Do you have any problems with the acrylic going on too thin?

I use rustoleum auto primer all the time when spraying from a can,drys fast and clean up is easy,rustoleum has a line of paint marked Lacquer thas has basic colors that works with no problems.

How does this stuff compare to the Rustoleum enamel? I noticed it was a little cheaper than the regular enamel rustoleum.

I can compare it to their "Industrial" and "Stops Rust" brands as well as Krylon Fusion. It covers much quicker, is much less prone to runs, and has less compatibility issues in my experience. I have used it with their Ultra Coverage Primer as well as some cheap <$1.00 walmart primer with good results. YMMV.

Has anybody tried Rustoleum Lacquer over the Filler Primer?

Any suggestions on paint to use over the Rustoleum Filler Primer?

I was told by a professional automotive painter (the one I used on my L3) that Rustoleum Filler-Primer was lacquer based and fine to use under most any top coat.

Which brand of acrylic spray paint do you use over the Rustoleum Filler Primer? Do you have any problems with the acrylic going on too thin?

I've been learning with the Createx Auto Air and Createx Wicked Colors. Note, I haven't used them over the Rusto filler primer (yet) but I have used the Createx Auto Air Sealer White. Generally speaking, I haven't found the acrylics to go on too thin. I did have an issue this weekend with the Pearl white (see my Aerobee 150 build thread in the LPR forum)... I got bleed through of some pen marks. Should have covered with an opaque white first.

Other than that, no problems. IT does take several coats to get full coverage and depth, but that's no big deal. The stuff dries quickly and no fumes to bug my wife! I like painting inside instead of in a cold/dusty/sometimes hellishly hot garage. I paint in the basement; it's always in the 60's in there--with no excess humidity blush problems!

The best of both worlds would be to use the filler primer, sand, then cover with acrylic from there. I haven't recently tried the rusto filler primer in a cold garage; I've assumed it would take a while to dry. Last winter I did a test and it was still stinky after several days.

I went to water based acrylics (with a Paasche H single action external mix brush from Hobby Lobby, driven by a 20 lb CO2 tank instead of noisy compressor) so I could paint through the cold winter and not have any fume issues. See this thread:

Water-based acrylics: looking for a quickstart for rocketry

So far I find the paints to work well, I can use either Future, or Liquitex high gloss varnish, or even (in the garage) Valspar lacquer clear over them, depending on what I can achieve.

The only thing I haven't found is a good water based sandable primer!

Marc

I've used the Rustoleum HBP and found that it works exceptionally well! I have never had any issues with it. On the other I have issues with their "Premium Automotive Formula GLOSS White"

I never forget what happened. I'm spray painting my rocket and it works for a little while 3-4 passes and then it started to come out like cottage cheese. I figured it was the nozzle, but it was a brand new can. So I cleaned the nozzle just to make sure and still the same problem. I ended up taking back the can and the same thing happened. I took it back for the 3rd and still the same thing. I gave up, which explains why I still have one can left.

Funny thing is this. I bought some of the same formula in "Gloss Red" it came out flawlessly. I do remember posting my problem on one of the forums when it happened and apparently I wasn't alone. There were others who had the same exact issue.

So I would give Rustoleum a "Thumbs Up" on their primer and paints, just still confused and uncertain about their Gloss White?:confused::confused::confused:

See attached pictures.

008.jpg

009.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the posts! I'll stick with the black lacquer for now. Should be painting the rocket this weekend (as long as the weather holds up).

That's because it's basically flat enamel paint; it's not a lacquer based primer (aka automotive primer). While it can be used as a primer for enamels, for all intents and purposes, it's not really well suited for general use. It takes days to sufficiently cure and can't be sanded soon after application like automotive primers can.

So, if you apply it like a regular primer, no doubt it will wrinkle if you shoot over it with lacquers :)

Doug

More times then not it will wrinkle but it all depends on temp of the area or room your Spraying in + the temp of the paint and lacquer before applied. Cause If your working outside in Tucson on a temped Day in July, with the lacquer unshaded (if sprayed evenly) it more than likely would set up nice

I've been learning with the Createx Auto Air and Createx Wicked Colors. Note, I haven't used them over the Rusto filler primer (yet) but I have used the Createx Auto Air Sealer White. Generally speaking, I haven't found the acrylics to go on too thin. I did have an issue this weekend with the Pearl white (see my Aerobee 150 build thread in the LPR forum)... I got bleed through of some pen marks. Should have covered with an opaque white first.

Other than that, no problems. IT does take several coats to get full coverage and depth, but that's no big deal. The stuff dries quickly and no fumes to bug my wife! I like painting inside instead of in a cold/dusty/sometimes hellishly hot garage. I paint in the basement; it's always in the 60's in there--with no excess humidity blush problems!

The best of both worlds would be to use the filler primer, sand, then cover with acrylic from there. I haven't recently tried the rusto filler primer in a cold garage; I've assumed it would take a while to dry. Last winter I did a test and it was still stinky after several days.

I went to water based acrylics (with a Paasche H single action external mix brush from Hobby Lobby, driven by a 20 lb CO2 tank instead of noisy compressor) so I could paint through the cold winter and not have any fume issues. See this thread:

Water-based acrylics: looking for a quickstart for rocketry

So far I find the paints to work well, I can use either Future, or Liquitex high gloss varnish, or even (in the garage) Valspar lacquer clear over them, depending on what I can achieve.

The only thing I haven't found is a good water based sandable primer!

Marc
I use the Rustoleum filler primer all the time,I have used it with Krylon,Rustoleum and Dupli Color with with no problems.Have not tried it with the Lacquer,but I bet it would be ok
I believe rustoleum is the O+ of all the paints and lacquers, it can pretty much be combined with any name brand and hold up just as good as the recommended line of paint or clear coat

Back