Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy this build. It’s just that I can’t figure out what I’m looking at, where the parts are going to fit, or which end is up for that matter.

I think he's doing it on purpose.

So... will you be able to incorporate this:

into your build?
Holy Scrap pile Batman! All I see is an endless supply of mandrels and nose cone molds! This needs to be investigated-where the heck is it?? How long do you think it would take to unbolt?? I mean, I'd really like to talk to that sign company. Yeah- that's what I meant. Hmmm-"Alex, I'll take 'Things a tarp can't hide' for a hundred, please"

I've been watching this thread for a while now,
anything anytime soon ?

I sure hope so. Things have been crazy between the hospitals and the 2 churches. When I am at home, I have faced 2 problems.

One is just being too tired to do anything. I look at the parts, feel the heat and despair.

The other is a parts issue. I found out the centering rings needed for the piston won't work. The parts are labeled for BT55-BT-70 but are actually 55-80. I need the right rings. With what is going on at Semroc, I have not wanted to intrude on Sheryl and Bruce to make things right just yet. I'll probably just keep what I have and order the right stuff but I need to accumulate some cash reserves.

All of the second part is 100% true but, truthfully, the main issue is in the first. My irregular schedule is wearing me out. The only rocket stuff done lately has been some gallery maintenance during slack periods at the hospital.

I sure hope so. Things have been crazy between the hospitals and the 2 churches. When I am at home, I have faced 2 problems.

One is just being too tired to do anything. I look at the parts, feel the heat and despair.

The other is a parts issue. I found out the centering rings needed for the piston won't work. The parts are labeled for BT55-BT-70 but are actually 55-80. I need the right rings. With what is going on at Semroc, I have not wanted to intrude on Sheryl and Bruce to make things right just yet. I'll probably just keep what I have and order the right stuff but I need to accumulate some cash reserves.

All of the second part is 100% true but, truthfully, the main issue is in the first. My irregular schedule is wearing me out. The only rocket stuff done lately has been some gallery maintenance during slack periods at the hospital.

I can send you some BT55 - BT70 rings if you want? PM me, let me know how many you need & where to send 'em :)

Krusty

I sure hope so. Things have been crazy between the hospitals and the 2 churches......

DO NOT let add one, teeny, tiny bit of pressure to get any part of this project done. DO take a breath. Do try to get a good night's sleep.

If you don't mind, I will say a prayer for calm and peace of mind in your path.

And remember, it's pretty nice to be so badly wanted at so many jobs (from someone who would like to find even one job).

DO NOT let add one, teeny, tiny bit of pressure to get any part of this project done. DO take a breath. Do try to get a good night's sleep.

If you don't mind, I will say a prayer for calm and peace of mind in your path.

And remember, it's pretty nice to be so badly wanted at so many jobs (from someone who would like to find even one job).

I can use all the prayers I can get. All are appreciated.

It seems I work under a strange variation of the old soviet system. I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me.

I can send you some BT55 - BT70 rings if you want? PM me, let me know how many you need & where to send 'em :)

Krusty

The offer is very much appreciated but not needed. Semroc is so fast that it shouldn't be a real issue. Its mainly a matter of me getting it done. Money is an issue but a very minor one. Rings are cheap.

Thanks for the kind offer.

On the other hand, if you want to send me 5 24mm CTI cases and reloads...

Naw...

The offer is very much appreciated but not needed. Semroc is so fast that it shouldn't be a real issue. Its mainly a matter of me getting it done. Money is an issue but a very minor one. Rings are cheap.

Thanks for the kind offer.

On the other hand, if you want to send me 5 24mm CTI cases and reloads...

Naw...

No problems - If you change your mind, let me know. As for speed - postage will take around 2 weeks from Australia. A bit slower than Semroc ;)

If you're involved with the Secret Santa come the end of the year, put the 24mm cases on your wish list. My gift'ee received a full set of 24mm cases & closures from me this year. You could have seen his smile from space :)

Krusty

Saw a Memorial "factory" next to the highway in Texas, they had a sample headstone next to the highway. Can't remember exactly what is said, something like:

"Slow Down....... We'll Wait"

(True story)

Anway, we'll be glad when life allows you the time to relax and get back to rocket building. IIRC, Hobbies are supposed to be Fun.

Saw a Memorial "factory" next to the highway in Texas, they had a sample headstone next to the highway. Can't remember exactly what is said, something like:

"Slow Down....... We'll Wait"

(True story)

Anway, we'll be glad when life allows you the time to relax and get back to rocket building. IIRC, Hobbies are supposed to be Fun.

That's the key. There have been a few time I have walked out to work on it out of a sense of duty. The blast of heat would hit me and I would hear the AC and sleep calling me away.

I walked away.

I have enjoyed this project. I want it to remain fun.

I feel your pain wit the heat. I'm on a project in Monterrey, MX right now. Thankfully I am on night shift. There is a safety rule here that requires long sleeves, down & buttoned. The day shift is dying...

30 pages and you still wont let us see the damn thing.
:bangpan::bangpan:

And THAT is the genius in the thread...

What if hes not actually building something, hes just a massive troll. All hes doing is drilling random pieces and painting golf balls and hiding the rest of the shot so you cant see theres not actually anything there. Itd be almost as bad as NASA faking the moon landing! :wink:

What if hes not actually building something, hes just a massive troll. All hes doing is drilling random pieces and painting golf balls and hiding the rest of the shot so you cant see theres not actually anything there. Itd be almost as bad as NASA faking the moon landing! :wink:

:facepalm:

Dadgumitt!!

I thought I could drag it out a couple of more months before somebody figured it out.

really ?
:eyeroll:

Question, why would the 12 men who walked on the face of it havent came out and said NASA faked it ?

Was just kidding! Hence winkie face after it. I suppose a rocketry forum isnt the best place to drop that joke.

Wait!! What?? The Earth's *NOT* flat?????

Krusty

Of course not. If it were flat, all you Aussies would have fallen off the underside and be swimming around with that giant space turtle by now. :neener:

(I have a feeling this thread is going to get very silly untill JAL3 gets his build mojo back...)

Last edited:
Ooh ooh, I know you should all have a contest to guess what it is. :headbang: and who ever gets closest wins first prize. :wave:

My guess is its a giant flying candelabra. :grin:

Richard :duck:

Ooh ooh, I know you should all have a contest to guess what it is. :headbang: and who ever gets closest wins first prize. :wave:

My guess is its a giant flying candelabra. :grin:

Richard :duck:

I think its a Rube Goldberg lander.
Did I win?

My guess is its a giant flying candelabra.

Well, you're a couple of candles short of a menorah. I've got a pretty good idea (at least in *my* mind) of what it will look like. My one question for John is on recovery, "with all those fiddly bits sticking out, how many sections do you intend it to come down in?". I see at least two. I hope it's going to (launch and recover) be only two. I've had "fantasy" designs that start to shed parts just after clearing the rod, and left a trail when they hit the ground and were drug along by the parachute. Hope you get back to the build soon (means your life is back to more normal...).

I have enjoyed this project. I want it to remain fun.

We're all enjoying it, John. (Albeit from the comfort of our air-conditioned homes.) Keep up the good work.

it_isnt_finished.jpg

SMR - I like that button image, can I steal it? Looks like it would make a nice range-box sticker :)

Back