Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three votes: (1) Most Original Rocket (ever). (2) Longest Build Thread (ever). and (3) Most Mysterious Design Inspiration (ever)
There are others like "Most ping pong balls used outside a Chinese tournament. Most Linear Feet of Launch Lugs on One Rocket. Most cubic feet of Balsa used by one person. Nicest Guy Who Posts Every Day. The United Postal Workers Retirement Guide to the Best Address in Texas. The list is endless. You rock, John!!

I replaced my camera body yesterday. I got it used at a local camera shop and all the stuff from my previous camera except the memory card and the battery work with it. Now, all I need is some time to head into the garage to work on the rocket.

I finally got a chance to do a little bit of work; not a lot, just a little.

It sure is nice having a real camera again!

The heat radiating fins were wet sanded.

rgl-const-782.jpg

Had to run over to SplaT for a SART page. Back to work.

The balls on the struts had not been fixed in place as yet. They were spaced evenly along the struts, after checking several possible configurations, and then glued into place with TMT.

rgl-const-784.jpg

rgl-const-785.jpg

I got a bit more done today.

The 8" strips I had glued together had been sitting under some books for more than a week. I decided to free them.

rgl-const-786.jpg

24" of one side of each was covered with self-adhesive label.

rgl-const-787.jpg

A razor knife and combination square was used to cut out one of the fin skins.

rgl-const-788.jpg

The newly formed fin was then glued and clamped onto one of the vertical support fins.

rgl-const-789.jpg

rgl-const-790.jpg

The fins assembly that had been primed was wet sanded.

rgl-const-791.jpg

That that does it for today.

It may not be much, but I am sure glad to be making progress again.

I cut out another of the aerodynamic fins from the pieces I had glued together.

rgl-const-792.jpg

The primed fin was placed in the booth and one side was given a coat of Krylon black.

rgl-const-793.jpg

The fin assembly that had been glued together yesterday was unclamped and found acceptable.

rgl-const-794.jpg

Krylon black dries to touch fairly quickly so, by this time, I could turn the fin over and paint the other side.

rgl-const-795.jpg

Last edited:
The just-cut fin had its label paper sealed with thin CA.

rgl-const-796.jpg

An issue still outstanding with the main body was the holes cut to insert the pods. I found a light weight filler at the LHS and pressed it into one of the cavities. I "finger filleted" it around the top of the lowermost ball. When I see how it works, I will continue with the others.

rgl-const-797.jpg

rgl-const-798.jpg

The freshly cut AD fin was glued and clamped the the VS fin.

rgl-const-799.jpg

I realized that the vertical stability fin needed to be rotated to paint the hidden part so that was done as well.

rgl-const-800.jpg

Wow.

I just realized that was photo #800 on this project, not including the discards, and I still have a ways to go.

That's all for today. Tomorrow, I have to leave town and will not return until Tuesday evening. I hope to get some more done then, if SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED lets me.

I'm not all that fond of pink and orange is probably my least favorite color.

I’m sitting here following this very interesting build, and wondering when a rocket, or rocket like structure is going to emerge.

Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy this build. It’s just that I can’t figure out what I’m looking at, where the parts are going to fit, or which end is up for that matter.

I can’t wait to see this thing finished. At this point I really don’t even care if it can fly.:)

I’m sitting here following this very interesting build, and wondering when a rocket, or rocket like structure is going to emerge.

Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy this build. It’s just that I can’t figure out what I’m looking at, where the parts are going to fit, or which end is up for that matter.

I can’t wait to see this thing finished. At this point I really don’t even care if it can fly.:)

My thoughts exactly.

So... will you be able to incorporate this:

into your build?

Except for the color that looks remarkably like a porcupine I saw wandering across a road in Alaska.
Just about the right size.
Do those quills shift around so they are always pointing straight at you?

Exactly. And I am loving it. JAL3 wins the internets.

Back