Rockwell BladeRunner & Circle Cutter impressions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipstrip

Reaction score
Amazon has this on sale now for $149 (it's probably always on sale....). I was think about getting this and the Circle Cutter ($27). Both would be used to cut fins, bulkheads and center rings as well as other bric-a-brac around the homestead. Anyone have much experience with this device? Chuck, I think you may have mentioned that you have one in an earlier post. How do you like yours?

Mark

I love the thing. It just plain works. I would not use it on carbon fiber.

Are there 'fences' or other guides that can be put into the table to function somehat like a small table saw making straight line cuts? For example, could a guide be put into the table where you run Competitor styled fins along the guide and chop off the top of the fin, making them a clipped-delta, Intimidator style fins?

Mark,

I do not know the answer to that question, but I don't think so.

Are there 'fences' or other guides that can be put into the table to function somehat like a small table saw making straight line cuts? For example, could a guide be put into the table where you run Competitor styled fins along the guide and chop off the top of the fin, making them a clipped-delta, Intimidator style fins?

Yes. The miter gauge/rip fence is very handy, and should be easy to set-up for 'clipping' your fins as well. You can also clamp a piece of wood, etc to the table to create your own fence as a guide. As for the blades, any 'T' Shank Jigsaw blade will fit. I prefer Bosch blades, and for cutting composites I use a metal-cutting blade.

If you have a Lowe's near you, the Blade-Runner sells for $149.00. The circle-cutting attachment isn't sold in my store though...

Nice tool!

The Bosch blades are better the ones that sell on Rockwell.

If you have a Lowe's near you, the Blade-Runner sells for $149.00. The circle-cutting attachment isn't sold in my store though...

If you stop by your local Post Office and pick up a Change of Address kit, not just the simple one page form, but the complete kit, there is normally a 10% off coupon from Lowes, as well as other coupons, in the kit. Home Depot normally will accept this Lowes coupon too.

I just broke in my new BladeRunner, using it to cut my 4" IRIS fins out of 1/4" plywood. The only description that comes to mind is..."amazing". I went from a blank sheet of SIG plywood to a set of perfectly matched fins in less than 2 hours, including hand layout, cutting, and stack sanding. Best of all, it was done freehand on my first try. I would never have that kind of control with my jigsaw.

By the way, the Rockwell eBay store is selling factory referbs for $120. I chose the Amazon route because my daughter has an associates discount and because the Rockwell store charges sales tax in SC. I highly recommend this tool! And yes...order some Bosch blades while your at it.

Cheers,
Michael

Back