Rocksim new licensing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

Quick question on Rocksim9 licensing. I'm the stupidhead that runs it in a native Linux system using WINE. Since I've just about completely switched to all electronic deployments I wasn't
running it as often as I did in the past. It was fine for easy and quick estimates for "not too Mach-ish" altitudes to make sure I stay within a waiver. Ran the heck out if it when I was busy
drilling delays for motor ejection only to avoid zippers.

Now, I have the Jolly Logic chute release and you-know-who is going to be going back to drilling delay grains again. I fired up RS9 on a linux laptop to dink with a RW Formula 54 with some
29mm motors and it tells me a new version is available. So's I download it and lo' and beholden there's a new licensing format so my prior .ilr file is no longer recognized. In fact the format
doesn't even have that option anymore. I have an email into Apogee and I'm sure they'll work something out so I can manually get it running. The online options weren't accessible from
my linux box.

Anyone else update from the .ilr version to the newer version? Push comes to shove I might have to activate it from a WinBlows machine upstairs but I don't like to have to compete with
the kids.

Whooooeeeee!!! Been a long time since I've checked the price. Some years ago, I tried to purchase a second license for another computer 'cause I felt guilty running the heck out of it.
I was the only one using it period and Apogee told me not necessary. Now I see why some folks are looking at the open source stuff for sims. Kinda hard for a kid to afford and I can see why
folks would consider RAS Aero for its ability to do higher Mach stuff more accurately. Kurt

Once you email them they will
verify your a legit purchase. They will then send you an activation code. Enter it and I think you will be good to go.

Now, stop calling it Winblows...Linux is not perfect either😜

I recently installed the upgrade and Apogee quickly emailed me the new code. The email also stated that I could run my copy of Rocksim on three computers.

I recently installed the upgrade and Apogee quickly emailed me the new code. The email also stated that I could run my copy of Rocksim on three computers.

Ok that's nice to know. I did stop calling it Winblows until the forced WinBlows 10 updates and the paranoid inducing tracking that it entails:
https://wa8lmf.net/Windows10-Info/index.htm
If one has a small tablet running 8.1 nicely, 10 might bog it down. One doesn't really need 10 to run most of the rocketry (and Ham radio tracking) software. I have a couple of cheap tablets that are going to be great for running tracking software in the field and can do Rocksim too. I don't want to waste
the storage capacity for an over bloated OS. A laptop in the field is also a PITA if wanting to go pedestrian portable with it.
Some of these 8" tablets like a TW700 or a TW801 for example (such as: https://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/tw801_tablet_-_black)
are very easy to stuff in a box the inside of which is spray painted with flat black paint to carry around in the field. The cardboard box acts as a sunshade one can cut finger holes and carry with one hand.

Some Chinese dual boot tablets are out there if one is adventurous. Android on one side Windows on the other. https://techtablets.com/cube-i6-dual-os/review-2/ Only problem here is a lot of the Chinese tablets don't cover the US cellphone bands well. I got one of the Cube i6's that's 3G and it has a built-in GPS I juggled around to get to work on the Windows side.
Cellphone not on the right frequency but I suspected that upfront.

This tablet looks nice but the one I was sent had a defective camera: https://www.tinydeal.com/108-hd-screen-win-10-dual-os-z3735f-2gb-64gb-3g-tablet-pc-p-156019.html. Cost 50.00 to send back and they received it but said they're going to "fix it". Yeah right, the camera auto focus didn't work from day one. I tested it out and stuffed in a 128Gb memory card though it says it can only handle 32Gb. It was like $30.00 cheaper when I ordered it. I ran software from the 128Gb card with no problem. Has a full sized USB socket plus the micro USB or OTG socket. As far as the cellphone goes, I have a GoPhone and a Z222 cheap phone. It covers 850/1900Mhz GSM/WCDMA so if my local cell frequency is 850mhz I stand a chance. I have another 3G tablet with the same GSM rating as this Tiny Deal one but the WCDMA frequency coverage is different. It wouldn't connect to make calls. I didn't have the phone SIM cutter at the time to test the cell phone coverage with this one. Has a built-in GPS and more onboard memory 64gb and opposed to 32gb in another tablet I picked up on the cheap.
Again, I was looking for dual boot with an onboard GPS and not necessarily cell phone coverage. I can run Android apps on the Android side. I like AltusDroid
better than the Windows version personally but that's just me. Use the Windows side for tracking applications.
Not many dual boot tablets with onboard GPS. I only found two of them available and the Cube i6 3 G looks like it disappeared from the scene.
Probably people complained the cellphone hardware was useless. That said, it's still useful as a WiFi dual boot device that is much cheaper than the
Nexus 7 I bought a couple of years ago that's Android only.

Many years ago I had dragged a 150Mhz Pentium Toshiba laptop out to a launchsite (I said many years ago) and I'm convinced Rocksim 5 saved me
a big zipper when I decided to fly a rocket on the spur of the moment with a motor combination that would need a drilled delay grain.
Took forever to do the run but I did the drilling and the deployment was perfect.

One nice thing about having the extra hardware around is if I make it to a large launch, I can hand the extra tablet out to someone else
they can pair with their EggFinder LCD via Bluetooth as long as they installed the module and have the pleasure of monitoring a flight on a photomap. GPS Rocket Locator can do that only
with an online internet connection, the app I use (APRSISCE/32) I can download a photomap of the immediate area and use it cached without the internet. (No it's not the pretty Google photomaps but an old MapQuest version that's still very usable.) Only AltusDroid and the Altus Metrum software can do cached downloads of a photomap.

Yes, fair enough about Linux. I used to be a Slacker and ran Slackware for years until it began to be a pain when trying to build and install new apps.
Was getting to be a real PITA until I switched to Ubuntu. More prebuilt apps and I could still build the code and have a great chance it would work.
More folks have build scripts you run with Ubuntu and it downloads what you need, builds it from source and installs. I keep Vbox on my Linux laptops so I can run XP and by golly XP runs faster there than when I ran it in a native Windows drive on the SAME laptop. I couldn't figure that one out.
Installed adb on Ubuntu and run multiple ROMS on my Android Nexus 7 2013. I mess with it with careless abandon because if I brick it, adb will push a clean factory ROM back on the N7 and I'm good to go again. I had a few nail-biting moments but boy was I relieved when my Ubuntu box recognized my N7 was attached via the cable and one simple command pushed a fresh install on it.
Kurt

Last edited:
Ok that's nice to know. I did stop calling it Winblows until the forced WinBlows 10 updates and the paranoid inducing tracking that it entails:

This is utterly ludicrous behavior for software vendors and has me angry at Apple as well.

Yes, I know you want me running the latest. No, I do not want to, at least not yet. I vetted and have good reason to stick with something proven in my production environment.

The switched methods of checking serial numbers. All you have to do is email them.

I agree with the obnoxious character of the Windows 10 update advertisement. I am also not a fan of the privacy issues. I think Apple has the same issue though with iCloud and such- not a fan of all the integration.

I agree with the obnoxious character of the Windows 10 update advertisement. I am also not a fan of the privacy issues. I think Apple has the same issue though with iCloud and such- not a fan of all the integration.

At work we have mission critical proprietary software the providers we "rent" it from simply say no guarantees whatsoever with Win 10. The IT guys have tricks (I bet MS promulgates) to keep "things" the same on the network that's required for continuity. I see none of the nagware to update on the work machines nor on my machines at home when I took the steps suggested.

Yeah Stephen, WA8LMF is a maintainer of a site dedicated to an old APRS tracking program called UI-View. The program is still widely used but no easily available mapset is on the market anymore. When the author, Roger Barker died, he took the source code to the grave and didn't want anyone to directly modify it. Weird intention if you ask me. He made it so people could "add-on" stuff but I think its reached the limit of that.

The thing about UIView is it's the only APRS tracking program (actually usable with Beeline GPS trackers and any APRS tracker for that matter) that can record and playback in real time a monitoring session that's been committed to memory.
In that fashion it's unique. No other program can do that. Plus a window can be opened next to the icon with a pile of information of speed, position, direction, altitude etc. Other programs can call up a set of points and put them
back on the map but UI-View can plot them in the time frame as the data was received like playing back the flight. It can be sped up or slowed down.

Stephens suggestions on how to run UI-View on a tablet: https://wa8lmf.net/WinbookTablet/ is an excellent read for one who wants to use a simple tablet with simple software and keep it clean and reclaim memory from storage. If WinBlows keeps trying to download the "Update" files where there's no room, the device gets bogged down. Kurt

At work we have mission critical proprietary software the providers we "rent" it from simply say no guarantees whatsoever with Win 10. The IT guys have tricks (I bet MS promulgates) to keep "things" the same on the network that's required for continuity. I see none of the nagware to update on the work machines nor on my machines at home when I took the steps suggested.

Yeah Stephen, WA8LMF is a maintainer of a site dedicated to an old APRS tracking program called UI-View. The program is still widely used but no easily available mapset is on the market anymore. When the author, Roger Barker died, he took the source code to the grave and didn't want anyone to directly modify it. Weird intention if you ask me. He made it so people could "add-on" stuff but I think its reached the limit of that.

The thing about UIView is it's the only APRS tracking program (actually usable with Beeline GPS trackers and any APRS tracker for that matter) that can record and playback in real time a monitoring session that's been committed to memory.
In that fashion it's unique. No other program can do that. Plus a window can be opened next to the icon with a pile of information of speed, position, direction, altitude etc. Other programs can call up a set of points and put them
back on the map but UI-View can plot them in the time frame as the data was received like playing back the flight. It can be sped up or slowed down.

Stephens suggestions on how to run UI-View on a tablet: https://wa8lmf.net/WinbookTablet/ is an excellent read for one who wants to use a simple tablet with simple software and keep it clean and reclaim memory from storage. If WinBlows keeps trying to download the "Update" files where there's no room, the device gets bogged down. Kurt

Sounds like it's time to get behind a FOSS alternative ...

A bit off topic, but if you hate Windows 10 nagware on Windows 7/8, install the GWX Control panel that turns it off. All my Win 7 installs are running the control panel.

Yup, That was the advice at that WinbookTablet link above and I've done that.
Oh, I got a registration number from Apogee and it worked with RS9 under WINE (that has the NetFramework loaded)
on Ubuntu Linux. Happy camper here again
Kurt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back