RockSim for Square Newway rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orestes Mayo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Does anyone have the rkt file for a square der red max. Cant find it anywhere and don't really know how I would make it on rocksim. Thanks.

@neil_w , are there any reliable sims for non-cylindrical rockets? I remember a Peak of Flight article several years back where somebody had a mod For it in RockSim, wasn’t sure how valid it was.

I have plans for a rocket called "Double Trouble." It is a two stage rocket. The sustainer (18mm minimum dia.) sits inside the booster (38mm dia. with an 18mm core motor mount). The sustainer uses 6 fins that slide into the top slots of the booster. The booster has a thrust ring at the aft end to trap the booster motor. At burn out, ignition/ejection occur, and the ejection kick is sufficient to pull the booster from the sustainer.

I have tried to replicate this in OpenRocket.

There is no way to put fins on an "inner tube" or an "outside tube" over an air-frame tube. There is no way to slot the tubes, or a way to get one to accept the other. I can Stack the tubes on top of each other, (extend the rocket without continuity) but it will not print as an error message states there is ( I have forgotten the message - basically, there is discontinuity between tubes. I was hoping the OR would print the list of parts as well as draw the "strakes" I am using to center the motor mount. I get zilch.

I have another rocket I have developed for testing laminar flow, using a "paint roller cover." I have been using a 12 inch long 29mm motor mount suspended centrally in the 9 inch long paint roller cover using long narrow strips of balsa. With an F15-6. it gets up there. I have been flying it since 2018. Last moth, I had a CATO, which tore up the top 3 inches of the motor mount. The motor mount spiral was deep within the cover. I did not think I would be able to fix it. But, I discovered that the cover slipped off relatively easy if I pulled it toward the nose cone. The fin can essentially keeps it from falling back.

This made me think that I might be able to make this rocket "convertible;" That is, I can switch out motor mounts, say, 29mm to 24 mm, and with a twist, lock them onto the fin can. Or, I can fly the rocket without the paint roller cover, just with either motor mount. The cover is just narrow enough it will nt accept a 38mm motor casing.

I have no idea how to program or how to make these functions, or make them operate. Are any of these functions possible?

Another idea I have had is enclosing a rocket within a fairing that is a geometric figure, say a tetrahedron..
Think of 3 isosceles (triangles with 2 long and one short side) with an equilateral triangle tying them all together at the bottom, now mirror that for the bottom (two tetrahedron glued end to end) , and sprout three broad fins out of the long joint where the isosceles triangles are joined. There is no way to draw that in OR. Yes there are tubes within for the rocket motors. And this thing flies well.

I have a more complicated tetrahedron like rocket that uses 6 faces, each face with 4 sides (think 2-D diamond) -the two tetras when separate, appear toothy, but join and form an elongated weird diamond. As above, there is no way to draw this in OR.

Can this happen?

I have plans for a rocket called "Double Trouble." It is a two stage rocket. The sustainer (18mm minimum dia.) sits inside the booster (38mm dia. with an 18mm core motor mount). The sustainer uses 6 fins that slide into the top slots of the booster. The booster has a thrust ring at the aft end to trap the booster motor. At burn out, ignition/ejection occur, and the ejection kick is sufficient to pull the booster from the sustainer.

I have tried to replicate this in OpenRocket.
Nested stages are on the drawing board for a future release, although this sounds like a more extreme example than we're used to thinking about.
There is no way to put fins on an "inner tube" or an "outside tube" over an air-frame tube. There is no way to slot the tubes, or a way to get one to accept the other. I can Stack the tubes on top of each other, (extend the rocket without continuity) but it will not print as an error message states there is ( I have forgotten the message - basically, there is discontinuity between tubes. I was hoping the OR would print the list of parts as well as draw the "strakes" I am using to center the motor mount. I get zilch.
There is a way: using an in-line pod. Create a pod with 1 copy, center it with the rest of the rocket, and position is as needed. I don't know how reliable the sim will be, but at the very least you'll be able to enter the rocket and get the parts list etc. I'm a little confused though when you say "I get zilch".

In general, for stuff like that that OR doesn't officially support, it's cumbersome but you can kinda sorta simulate it by creating two separate models: one of the full stack, and one of the upper stage, then sort of add the two together. You have to adjust the sim conditions of the upper stage sim to make it work right. It's ugly.
I have another rocket I have developed for testing laminar flow, using a "paint roller cover." I have been using a 12 inch long 29mm motor mount suspended centrally in the 9 inch long paint roller cover using long narrow strips of balsa. With an F15-6. it gets up there. I have been flying it since 2018. Last moth, I had a CATO, which tore up the top 3 inches of the motor mount. The motor mount spiral was deep within the cover. I did not think I would be able to fix it. But, I discovered that the cover slipped off relatively easy if I pulled it toward the nose cone. The fin can essentially keeps it from falling back.

This made me think that I might be able to make this rocket "convertible;" That is, I can switch out motor mounts, say, 29mm to 24 mm, and with a twist, lock them onto the fin can. Or, I can fly the rocket without the paint roller cover, just with either motor mount. The cover is just narrow enough it will nt accept a 38mm motor casing.

I have no idea how to program or how to make these functions, or make them operate. Are any of these functions possible?
Are you asking if they're possible in OpenRocket? If so, I'm not really sure how to answer. In the current version you'd need to make a different model for each different configuration.
Another idea I have had is enclosing a rocket within a fairing that is a geometric figure, say a tetrahedron..
Think of 3 isosceles (triangles with 2 long and one short side) with an equilateral triangle tying them all together at the bottom, now mirror that for the bottom (two tetrahedron glued end to end) , and sprout three broad fins out of the long joint where the isosceles triangles are joined. There is no way to draw that in OR. Yes there are tubes within for the rocket motors. And this thing flies well.

I have a more complicated tetrahedron like rocket that uses 6 faces, each face with 4 sides (think 2-D diamond) -the two tetras when separate, appear toothy, but join and form an elongated weird diamond. As above, there is no way to draw this in OR.

Can this happen?
No. You can approximate it with conical transitions and it should come reasonably close, I would think.

OpenRocket is not (and likely never will be) a creator and simulator of arbitrary geometries. It has a set of components for which there are well-defined behaviors under certain conditions, and as long as you use those components and stay within those conditions you should get a reliable sim. It is easiiy possible to create geometries in OR that won't simluate accurately (because you're going outside those conditions), and there are geometries that you simply can't do. For crazy stuff you would ultimately need a CAD program and CFD, or maybe even a wind tunnel.

Back