rocketgeek101's Mid-Power Scratch Build -- Firelight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming all goes well, the Phoenix is set to fly next weekend. I'm thinking maybe a CTI G68 for the first flight...

The Phoenix is set to fly again on the weekend of the 12-13th. Motor will be an Aerotech SU G40-7 White Lightning!

If you've read my launch report for yesterdays launch, you'll have seen that the motor I flew in this rocket CATO'd.:(

The rocket itself survived surprisingly well, and probably would have been ready to fly again without doing any repairs. But I am never one to leave things alone!!:y:

Besides some charring, the only real damage, was the shock cord was frayed down near the motor mount. I't probably would have held for a few more flights, but I don't fly rockets that I consider unsafe; and in my book this was unsafe!

Being that the inside of of the airframe is really sooty, epoxying a coupler with a shock cord attachment point seemed pretty stupid, so I came up with the idea of drilling two holes on opposite sides of the airframe and putting a bar across.
SDC16385.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to rename and repaint it:

Got the red on.
SDC10002.jpg
I was only useing the yellow as a base to make the red a little orange. Not sure if it really made a difference, but oh well. Tomorrow, I'll mask of the upper part and paint the fincan black. I also got several "fuzzies" on the nose cone, so I'll probably lightly sand it, and give it another coat of red... I'll decide in the morning.

Here is what the finished paint scheme will look like:
FIRELIGHT.jpg

I decided to rename it Firelight, as it seems appropriate for a rocket that was called the Phoenix that CATO'd.

Last edited:
[rant]Painting this thing has been a nightmare!!! First my masking failed, and then my paint was cracking and arrrrrghhh!! I now have a hatred towards paint that no words can accurately describe!!!:cry::rant::rant::bang::sigh:[/rant]

Anyhow, the red is done and I am now in the process of doing the black. By process I mean It will have to be partially sanded down and redone. I had a lot of cracking (But on just one side.... weird...). I'll let it cure overnight and sand down the bad spots. and re-shoot it. It will look good when it's done, just getting there is the hard part (or at least thats what I keep telling myself).

I also decided to modify the new paint scheme a little:
Firelight .jpg

I might add 1 or 2 silver bands above the fins, but it will depend on how I feel once I get the black to cooperate.

Are you using the same brand of paint? For everything including primer? If so all I can say is wait longer between colors. Days or weeks. Until you can't smell the volatiles anymore. I have my bouts with paint as well. Even trying to follow my own advice.

I guess that's why a lot of people paint them a single color, or don't paint them at all. But I can't bring myself to fly a naked rocket.

Painting this thing has been a nightmare!!! First my masking failed, and then my paint was cracking and arrrrrghhh!! I now have a hatred towards paint that no words can accurately describe!!!:cry::rant::rant::bang::sigh:

I feel your pain, brother!

Yeah... Now I really understand your signatures...

I've sanded and filled all the cracks, Once it warms up (currently 0 degrees C.) I'll repaint it black. Got my fingers crossed:flyingpig:

It'll get better. Maybe. :tongue:

Well I redid the black. Waited a week like recommended on the can, And it turned out pretty good. Paint is perfect except for one spot on a fin where I had some cracking again. I'm torn between trying to fix it, or just leaving it and calling it done. I'll let it cure overnight before deciding. I've noticed cracks tend to shrink during the cure. All in all not too bad considering what my previous attempt at the black looked like (I deliberately didn't post pictures of that).

SDC10007.jpg

SDC10009.jpg

I've had the dreaded cracking many times. Never have figured out what causes it.

Here is what she looks like so far. I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow. I'm still undecided on what to do about the paint cracking...

I'm pretty pleased with how the fillets look! All that filling and sanding really paid off:)

SDC10014.jpg

SDC10037.jpg

SDC10017.jpg

SDC10025.jpg

Honestly, the cracking doesn't look that bad. And you're right, the fillets look great!

Well, I've decided to leave the cracks alone for now. They shrunk quite a bit overnight, and are not really that noticeable (My Mom couldn't even tell where they were until I showed them to her). I may decide to try to fix it at some point, but for now I'm calling it good. Despite the cracking this is one of my better finishes on a rocket.

I still have to figure out how I want to do the decal, I'm thinking maybe cutting letters out of black electrical tape, though that would be difficult as the tape likes to stretch. I wonder if I could find some all black labels... I also would like to find some chrome tape to add a few detail trims on the black section. Currently she weighs about 630 grams sans recovery system.

Also took some better photos this morning:
SDC10075.jpg

SDC10074.jpg

SDC10072.jpg

... and reinstalled the rail buttons (actually did that last night).
SDC10058.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-S

one can usually find vinyl letters at the hardware store(signs, mailbox section) in various sizes.
Rex

I think she looks nice. I bet you can't wait to fly her!

Thanks! And yes I really want to fly her again... hopefully for a nice normal flight! Unfortunately, flying season for us is pretty well over, so it will probably have to wait 'till next year:(

Thanks! And yes I really want to fly her again... hopefully for a nice normal flight! Unfortunately, flying season for us is pretty well over, so it will probably have to wait 'till next year:(

Our flying season is usually starting now. But one club already cancelled the first launch next month, and the other club probably will too. We need rain bad.

That sucks! You must have like 20+ unflown rockets by now?:wink: Funny thing is, that at the beginning of this years launch season we had one of our precious few HPR launches cancelled due to inordinate amounts of rain. Total opposite of you, but unfortunately what can you do when it comes to the weather.

That sucks! You must have like 20+ unflown rockets by now?:wink: Funny thing is, that at the beginning of this years launch season we had one of our precious few HPR launches cancelled due to inordinate amounts of rain. Total opposite of you, but unfortunately what can you do when it comes to the weather.

:lol: It's not quite that bad, but it's bad enough. I have 11 flyable/unflown rockets right now. Two or three need more paint and/or decals. Including the X-Ray XL, I have four in the build stage (one I started this weekend).

I finished her up (well I still have to do the recovery system). I couldn't find any vinyl letters that I liked, so I ended up just using a black sharpie for the name (it looks a lot better in person). It's not perfect but it will look good in flight. Also did some silver pin-striping on the fins and between the black and the red. The masking wasn't my best, but again it will look good in flight.

SDC10089.jpg

SDC10085.jpg

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it came out!:)

And here is a nice shot with the evening sky in the background:smile:
SDC10084.jpg

Now To fix the recovery system:horse:

Back