rocketgeek101's Mid-Power Scratch Build -- Firelight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, has anybody been following this thread? Is it worth my effort to continue? I don't seem to get that many replies...
Im fallowing t, seems like a good build. I'm on my kindle fire so cant see the picture well, did you just coat the tube in filler or just the spirals? looks like both. If you have questions just ask im subscribed so I'll get your question in my email

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have made a little bit of progress:

Today I attached the U-bolt to the nosecone bulk plate, and glued the whole thing into the nosecones coupler. I know a U-bolt is excessive and heavy, but its what I had on hand, and this is not a high performance design by any means.

The first two photos are of the U-bolt/bulkhead/coupler assembly. The last two show the finished fin fillets.

I won't have time to work on this build tomorrow, but should be able to make more progress come this Saturday.

Thanks for looking,

Rocketgeek101

image-3816880591.jpg

image-3107622398.jpg

image-3041027314.jpg

image-1661650360.jpg

did you just coat the tube in filler or just the spirals? looks like both.

Both, If you'll look at some of the earlier posts you'll see I had to build up the OD of the tube to have it match the OD of the cone. I used tape to accomplish this, which inevitably meant some filling would be required to give it a smooth finish. The rest of the tube only has the spirals filled.

Thanks for following!!

Well when you put a project aside for a while, but leave it in plain sight you start to notice all of the little flaws... Needless to say, a third coat of filler was applied today.

image-4224237641.jpg

In all my years of building and as much as I want a rocket to look good, after one or two flights they get beat up and it just isn't worth all the effort sometimes. Get it looking good. Good primer good paint and then let it be a rocket. I don't fill spirals much any more I will do some filling on fins but I don't get crazy about it. Unless that is some of the fun of it for you, by flight 3 or 4 the kinda look like crap.

Now if it is a scale model or a special occasion I will go all out (like cert 1, 2 & 3) but for a 3FN sport flyer, build it sound, paint it up and and take it to the field and let it fly.

Looks good so far. :)

TA

In all my years of building and as much as I want a rocket to look good, after one or two flights they get beat up and it just isn't worth all the effort sometimes. Get it looking good. Good primer good paint and then let it be a rocket. I don't fill spirals much any more I will do some filling on fins but I don't get crazy about it. Unless that is some of the fun of it for you, by flight 3 or 4 the kinda look like crap.

Now if it is a scale model or a special occasion I will go all out (like cert 1, 2 & 3) but for a 3FN sport flyer, build it sound, paint it up and and take it to the field and let it fly.

Looks good so far. :)

TA

I totally agree with you on this....well said. I've spent so much time on a rocket to have it explode...it's like why? It's getting to the point where I don't even want to bother painting them...if it's a scale model kit I'll go all out. Anything other then that it's a 50 yarder

Alright, so today I sanded the rocket smooth, and gave it a few coats of primer (the brush on stuff, as I didn't have any of spay type). I'll also be brush painting the rocket as I have a lot of brush paint leftover from my early days in the hobby (I wasn't really allowed to use spray paint back then:sigh:).

SDC15876.jpg

SDC15889.jpg

SDC15890.jpg

So I've run into a bit of a snag: My epoxy fillets wont seem to fully cure. I can easily make little marks in them using my fingernail. I wouldn't worry about it if the fins were TTW, but they are not. Is there any way to make the epoxy fully harden? The epoxy resin was thicker then it should of been, but I just figured that was because I stored the epoxy in my basement, which is on the cool side. I think I mixed it 50/50, though I just eyeballed it so I cant be 100% sure. The epoxy I used is Mercury Adhesive 15min epoxy.

Any advise? Would it most likely be strong enough as is, or maybe I should start over?

I just started with HPRs and I ran into the same problem - after weeding through dozens of youtube videos I found a lady making Epoxy rings and had suggested to put in a tad more Hardener into the mix - That little trick had helped

I just started with HPRs and I ran into the same problem - after weeding through dozens of youtube videos I found a lady making Epoxy rings and had suggested to put in a tad more Hardener into the mix - That little trick had helped

Thanks for the tip! My fillets eventually did fully harden, Just took a month!:eyepop:

Looking good Sebastian, can't wait to see it fly this summer!
Greg

That`s a fine looking rocket you made there ,I really do like the red,white and gold paint scheme.....it`s a good look !

Very nice work !

Paul T

I had an extra set of Arreaux style decals lying about, so I decided to dress her up a bit. I like it! The decals don't match the fin shape exactly, but from a distance it looks pretty good.

I also meant to post this ages ago but forgot: This is the finished nosecone. It was originally a LOC 54mm diameter cone that I cut the shoulder off an replaced with my own homemade coupler and bulkhead. I coated the coupler in CA and sanded it smooth -- Worked out really well.

I'm hoping to fly this and a few other rockets (Arreaux, Mini Eagle Claw, and possibly one other) in May but it all depends on the timing.

Thanks for looking.:D

SDC15949.jpg

SDC15922.jpg

That came out REALLY nice !! I've been following this from the get go and I'm curious,what kind of ply you used?

That came out REALLY nice !! I've been following this from the get go and I'm curious,what kind of ply you used?

Thanks for following. I used 3 ply plywood that is about 0.6cm thick. Definitely not the best stuff, but I have so much of it that I figured I would use some and save a few bucks.

Spent yesterday evening and this morning putting on the finishing touches.

I added 1/8" rail button standoffs to compensate having to build up the front of the tube a bit.

Also added some graphics (I love fine point sharpies!:D). Came out pretty well if I do say so myself! Ended up naming her Phoenix. I used mylar to make the letters for the name. It was a PITA to cut the letters out, but I'd say the end result was worth it.

Only thing left to do now is figure out the recovery system.

At the moment she's planned to fly for the first time on the weekend of May 25-26. Hopefully all will go well.

Thanks for looking! let me know what you think.

rg101

SDC16035.jpg

SDC16032.jpg

Looks good! I really like those decals. I make em the same way.

Are those Arreaux decals on the fins?

Alex

Sweet buddy !

Nice touch on the fins and as i said before,I like the red and gold scheme.

It`s finally nice over here ,so hopefully I can do some painting soon !

Where abouts are you in the East chum ?

Oh....BTW , I always put little standoffs on my rockets ,rail buttons or lugs ,just always have and find there`s less chance of buggering the paint when i slide them badboys on the rail ,also looks cool on certain rockets.

Take care eh !

Paul t

Looks good! I really like those decals. I make em the same way.

Are those Arreaux decals on the fins?

Alex

Thank-you! Yes those are Arreaux decals on the fins. I had an extra set lying around that I decided to put to good use.
I actually got the idea of making the name decal from your Mini Squat build. Thanks, it really was a great idea!

Sweet buddy !

Nice touch on the fins and as i said before,I like the red and gold scheme.

It`s finally nice over here ,so hopefully I can do some painting soon !

Where abouts are you in the East chum ?

Oh....BTW , I always put little standoffs on my rockets ,rail buttons or lugs ,just always have and find there`s less chance of buggering the paint when i slide them badboys on the rail ,also looks cool on certain rockets.

Take care eh !

Paul t

Thank-you!

I'm located in New Brunswick. What about you?

I can't wait to see your Hellfire with some paint on it! I'll bet it will be one of the sweetest looking builds on TRF this year.

Take care eh!

Sebastian

Thank-you!

I'm located in New Brunswick. What about you?

I can't wait to see your Hellfire with some paint on it! I'll bet it will be one of the sweetest looking builds on TRF this year.

Take care eh!

Sebastian

Winnipeg (Winterpeg...you know )

I`m doing a bit of painting outside right now ,but just some small parts for now ,kinda looks like rain ...merde !

Cheers

Paul T

Well I was hoping to fly this bird this past weekend. Unfortunately, the launch I was planning on attending was cancelled due to rain:(:(:(:(:( (and I mean LOTS of it:mad:). Looks like my next opportunity will either be this summer or early fall.

So while cleaning out my closet I found a decal sheet from an old unfinished plastic model of the Space Shuttle. Since the actual model is missing critical pieces It will never be finished. Just as I was about to toss the decal sheet I glanced up the Phoenix hanging from my ceiling and thought: hey... why not. So once my closet was clean, I got to work applying some of the decals onto the rocket. I like it! Most of the decals are small so they may be hard to see in the pics. That's why I posted before and after pictures. What do you guys think?

SDC16035.jpg
Before

SDC16053.jpg
After

Last edited:
Those are a nice little touch !

I too like to add decals and stuff ,gives it that certain..."je ne sais quoi" :wink:

Salut

Paul T

Back