Rocket Cradle Designs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I don't bother with it, but it's cheap and easy to find. I

Out here in SoCal the HDs all carry comprehensive selection of the ordinary (not furniture grade) PVC fittings in multiple sizes including the crosses, caps, etc. Probably since 95% of the homes here have irrigation systems...only desert scrub survives here without them.

Here in coastal California, both Home Depot and my well-stocked local hardware store had all the PVC parts. I used a Forstner bit to slightly enlarge the through hole on two T-fittings so they would slide on the base rails and made the cradle adjustable. As for foam, I really like the Dollar Store nunchucks idea for padding. I made mine out of the thinnest pipe insulation I could find. The hole in the insulation was bigger than my pvc so I calculated the circumference of the PVC and then figured out how much of the insulation to cut away, then glued the insulation cut with Home Depot insulation glue (the can comes with a dauber built into the lid) and let it dry overnight. The glue is permanent and it does not stick to your rockets after it has dried. I made a handful of slip on pads at one time so I have a bunch of spares. The ID is a hair smaller than the PVC so they slip on and stay in place.

I have to say these pvc cradles are best for stuff two inches and up. I have a small Baltic birch adjustable cradle with a very thin (3/32”) strip of adhesive foam for padding that I use for my smaller rockets.

Latest posts

Back