Road to L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg08

Reaction score
It's official; I am starting construction of my L1 rocket! I'm quite excited, and couldn't wait until Christmas to start assembling my electronics. As this is the first time I used a GPS system, I had to get quite a few components from Eggtimer Rocketry. I had a good time soldering together the transmitter, LCD receiver, and LCD-GPS module. I nearly had a heart attack when I accidentally short circuited my battery, but everything turned out fine. And another one when I couldn't acquire a satellite, but after 30 something minutes, it connected. One question, can I put my GPS in my e-bay with other electronics, or will it weaken the signal? Thanks. The case is coming Friday, and I will update once I get that all sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
True, however I have been working with electronics for quite a bit on smaller scale, so I feel very confident with that technique. I feel safer than using just motor deploy because of the redundancy. My mentor is also a big advocate for redundancy, and has taught me a lot. Thanks for your interest in my project.

One question, can I put my GPS in my e-bay with other electronics, or will it weaken the signal?
Something I've picked up from conversing with Bdale Garbee is that the answer to nearly any question around radio transmission is found by ground testing. Unfortunately there's no way to be sure without testing. That said, a great many people who fly trackers do so in an avbay crowded not only with other electronics and batteries but also with large chunks of steel allthread, and most who do seem to have no problems.

I use Featherweight system in 5in fiberglass rockets and some cardboard Loc rockets and have had great results. I have also seen the egg timers used in the same manner with good results.

This may sound like a broken record but a 4”in rocket on an H motor going relatively low (2,000 or less) is great for a certification launch.

True, however I have been working with electronics for quite a bit on smaller scale, so I feel very confident with that technique. I feel safer than using just motor deploy because of the redundancy. My mentor is also a big advocate for redundancy, and has taught me a lot. Thanks for your interest in my project.
Mentor, is this a junior cert?

No, I was just referring to him as a teacher. Even though I am a minor, he is helping me get a full fledged level 1 cert. I have to take the level 2 written test, then fly an H or I motor successfully.

No, I was just referring to him as a teacher. Even though I am a minor, he is helping me get a full fledged level 1 cert. I have to take the level 2 written test, then fly an H or I motor successfully.
??? Isn’t that against TRA and NAR rules? Not to mention federal law?

According to him, it’s not. If I’m being honest I have no idea how it’s possible, but he’s helped multiple people achieve this. His son, for example, achieved his L1 at 12.
Maybe he is explaining the program badly do you purchase the motors or does he?
Edit does This look like it

Over 18 but less than 21? Calif considers that a "minor" for ETOH.

I have NOT looked at the Jr. Cert. Process specifically, but will need to soon for my kids. Are you going for NAR or Tripoli Jr certification?

Using DMS motors for the cert, it may be possible. What you CAN'T DO at your age is handle propellant. So NO reloadable motors. The only way to fly reloads is with the mentor handling the propellant loading.

Yes, I am planning to certify on a DMS. Currently I have no interest in HPR RMS because the casing is so costly, I won’t fly enough to make the cost worth it. I am going for the NAR L1 certification.

Maybe, but if everything goes to plan, this will be my L2 rocket as well, so I want to overbuild a little.

The test you have to take isn't the L2 exam. It's a special test that is given to Jr. L1 candidates. Check the NAR website for more info and study guides.

I would suggest you put your GPS tracker in the nose cone. Most will fit inside a 38mm MMT in the nose cone. That will make it easy to swap to your future rockets so you can use the tracker in more than one rocket per day.

I usually strongly recommend building a second rocket for your L2 cert. A good L1 rocket is about 4 lbs. and 38mm MMT. A good first L2 rocket is usually 6-8 lbs. with a 54mm MMT. A second L2 would probably be 12 lbs. with a 75mm MMT.

Everyone's situation is different and your sig says you're in CA. That means you have access to desert launch sites with large recovery areas, so a L1 rocket that is pushing 10,000 ft. on L2 motors may be very doable. I would never recommend that on the east coast.

In either case, fly your rocket on a variety of L1 motors before you decide to use it for L2, especially if it has a 38mm MMT. You may decide you want a bigger rocket for L2 so you can fly K and some L motors also. Can't easily do that with 38mm MMT.

Good luck on your cert flight.

According to him, it’s not. If I’m being honest I have no idea how it’s possible, but he’s helped multiple people achieve this. His son, for example, achieved his L1 at 12.

Part of the responsibility of holding a certification is understanding the details. ;)

Here's where the NAR Jr L1 program is explained, with links:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-certifications/

Hmm, I was being a bit dramatic in saying I have no idea. I know I’m taking the LEVEL 2 test, not the junior level 1. Unless he thought the L2 test was the Jr. L1, which I somewhat doubt as he is well established and mentors many other tarc teams and people like me. That said, this is my current understanding and I will learn more on Sunday.

Edit: I think I know I’m taking the L2

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
But, my original path before he influenced me was to get a Jr. L1, and I understand the processes of the junior L1 path, so I wouldn’t be unhappy if I got a Jr. L1 instead of what I believe is a full fledged L1.

In either case, fly your rocket on a variety of L1 motors before you decide to use it for L2, especially if it has a 38mm MMT. You may decide you want a bigger rocket for L2 so you can fly K and some L motors also.

Good luck on your cert flight.
Thanks, right now those are out of my budget, but I'll consider it later on.

Thanks, right now those are out of my budget, but I'll consider it later on.
If L1 motors are out of your budget, I would highly suggest you forget about L2 for now. The budget requirements for L2 motors, rockets, accessories, etc. are way above L1 motors.

You might want to rethink the L1 also.

If L1 motors are out of your budget, I would highly suggest you forget about L2 for now. The budget requirements for L2 motors, rockets, accessories, etc. are way above L1 motors.

You might want to rethink the L1 also.
Oh sorry, I meant the L’s are out of my budget. I can afford them, I just don’t like spending that much money at once. I can earn my L1 motor simply by mowing a couple of my neighbor’s lawns.

Last edited:
Hmm, I was being a bit dramatic in saying I have no idea. I know I’m taking the LEVEL 2 test, not the junior level 1. Unless he thought the L2 test was the Jr. L1, which I somewhat doubt as he is well established and mentors many other tarc teams and people like me. That said, this is my current understanding and I will learn more on Sunday.

Edit: I think I know I’m taking the L2
It's not.

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/formal-participation-procedure
L2 is 40 questions, the jr level 1 is 25. And no the questions don't cover all the same ground as a level 2.

But, my original path before he influenced me was to get a Jr. L1, and I understand the processes of the junior L1 path, so I wouldn’t be unhappy if I got a Jr. L1 instead of what I believe is a full fledged L1.
Since you fall between 14-17, yeah jr level 1 is the path fwd .
Go get it!

Back