RIP Russell Johnson "The Professor" form Gilligan's Island

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
The Professor has died at 89. I have many fond memories of that show. Thanks Mr. Johnson.

Without him we'll never learn the secret of the coconut powered radio...

Thanks for the laughs!

Rest in Peace Russell.

Apparently he was also an AF veteran of WW2. A B-24 gunner shot down in the Phillipines, breaking both ankles bailing out. Awarded the Purple Heart.

"...and they buried him in a casket made of coconuts."~ MST3K-The Movie

Saw him in some western TV show awhile back too... MeTV methinks...

Just about EVERY actor back in the 50's and 60's did guest stints on westerns at SOME point...

Later! OL JR :)

The timing for my family has been interesting.

About two months ago we found "Gilligan's Island" on Amazon On Demand, so we started watching them with the children from season 1, episode 1.

Even the teens laugh. I still laugh. The youngest already has the the opening theme memorized (I wonder if more people can sing/recite that than they can the "Star Spangled Banner").

About a week ago I went to the Professor's web site (which isn't working for me now) and saw how he got fan mail from around the world about how young folks chose professions in the sciences.

The show's creator was Sherwood Schwartz. His other notable creation was "The Brady Bunch".

Mr. Johnson was a bombardier and navigator on B-25's during WWII.

Greg

And you will note that the first season has a different theme song...and was originally in black and white (it was colorized for syndication). RIP Russell.

FYI we also lost Davide Madden a.k.a. Reuben Kincaid from the Partridge family within about 24 hours.

TV Land ran the first episode last night.Watched the show every afternoon after school--back in the late 60's early 70's.

And you will note that the first season has a different theme song...and was originally in black and white (it was colorized for syndication). RIP Russell.

FYI we also lost Davide Madden a.k.a. Reuben Kincaid from the Partridge family within about 24 hours.

First season verse: "the movie star... and the rest."
Second and subsequent seasons verse: "the movie star... the professor and Mary Ann."

You don't forget the important things ! :eek:

I thought that the color came as part of the general network upgrades during that time period. Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters etc. all started in glorious B&W.

It was "Gilligan" himself that insisted that the Russel and Daws' characters get the shout out beginning with Season 2 (reportedly he argued with the studio).

I thought that the color came as part of the general network upgrades during that time period. Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters etc. all started in glorious B&W.

IIRC the Cineroc started out as B&W too.

I saw Dawn Wells on Chopped a few weeks ago, she still looks good for a woman in her 70s.

I was just saying to the wife, you know your getting old when the icons of your youth are dropping every other day.

Apparently he was also an AF veteran of WW2. A B-24 gunner shot down in the Phillipines, breaking both ankles bailing out. Awarded the Purple Heart.

"...and they buried him in a casket made of coconuts."~ MST3K-The Movie

I was saddened to learn about his passing. I also never knew the "The Professor" was a WWII hero. Pretty amazing.

Repeating this from another thread...
When that show was running on network broadcast TV for the first time, the U.S. Coast Guard Posts would be flooded with phone calls complaining that they weren't doing enough to get those people off from that island that they were stuck upon.
People actually thought they were stranded on the island, despite the laugh track and the silly plots. Unbelievable, but true.

Latest posts

Back