RIP Mathew Perry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost a much respected business associate to drowning a few years ago. His drowning involved alcohol use. That is a very common factor in drowning as alcohol suppresses or alters many of our instincts that help us stay alive in a potential drowning situation.
Jim

All the reports I have seen say he got his life together, off the booze and drugs.
He has funded $$$$$$ a rehab to help others.
Sometimes it’s your day to go.

All the reports I have seen say he got his life together, off the booze and drugs.
He has funded $$$$$$ a rehab to help others.
Sometimes it’s your day to go.
I agree and hope that is the case. He is gone now, so the events have occurred, so my hope remains that it was just a bad chance of luck. The cynical side of me, having known various addicts, is that the devil [whatever afflicts you, not a guy with a red tail] coaxes you back in and gets you this time. I sincerely hope that's not the case this time, as he was a fun actor and probably was a mentor to many people. If an addiction contributed, take the message to get out of addiction. If it was just bad luck, take the lesson that anyone's luck can run out.

Take care of yourselves and those around you.

Although alcohol could have played a part. I suggest that we celebrate his life and wait for the toxicology. Something obviously played a part, but there could be dozens of possible somethings.

I agree. It’s not right to speculate what other factors might be involved. For now, it’s a sad accident.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the show Friends, but I did watch it on Must See TV Thursday on NBC, which is when I used to do laundry while drinking a few beers, watching TV, and running to the garage during commercials to start a new load, move clothes to the dryer, etc., hopefully making it back in under 2 minutes so I didn’t miss the show starting again. What a life!

So I did watch the show, and Chandler Bing was my favorite character. He was funny. His was the only character intentionally written to make jokes. The other characters were funny, but it was mostly due to their quirks and the situations they got into, while he was written to make ironic observations and sarcastic comments as if he trying to amuse his friends. The others were written as ding-dongs or neurotics who got into situations to amuse the audience, and he was written to make wisecracks. Some of those jokes are a bit cringe now, but they were funny, and he delivered them with good comedic talent.

So long, Chandler Bing. Thanks for making laundry night fun.

I would watch your favorite moments on eBay and enjoy the comedic genius.

I never saw an episode of Friends and I honestly have never heard of Matthew Perry before this recent news. I'm surprised, because it's all over the place now. Sounds like a tragic and sudden passing, unfortunately. I guess I'll go back under my rock.

Hey folks, I have no idea what killed Mr. Perry. I am making a statement based on my experience in the USCG and with personal tragedy. One should avoid alcohol when participating in boating, swimming etc.
Jim

That is a good public service announcement.

I resisted Friends, thought it was dumb for many years. My wife and girls have loved it since the beginning. Eventually, I have come over to their side. Resistance is futile 😉😄. But seriously, as much as I hated it at first, I have come to appreciate and love that show. Godspeed Matthew, you are loved and missed.

Back