Ressources for payload beginners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, one can drag a box around the part you want a closer look at and OR will 'zoom' in.
Rex

the estes "mpr" birds seem to me no more than LPR rockets with larger tubes. NOT the proper way to learn MPR!

If Estes starts making 29mm motors with a rear thrust ring, I'll look again. But they wont - their 29MM motor retention is PLASTIC, right where the motor is so hot to melt it, and then there is the blow back from the blast deflector!

Estes is just trying to sell you before you get to the point you know it's crap!

Actually, this is exactly why I LIKE the Estes PSII builder kits for MPR. They go together easy, like a big LPR rocket. I actually find them easier to build than some small LPR rockets, because the larger parts are easier to handle. And they are a bit beefier than you are giving them credit for --- the tubes are beefier, but so are the plywood centering rings and fins, and the nylon chute. MPR tops out at a G80 motor, and any of the kits mentioned so far as a potential payloader (Ventris, Argent, Partizon) would fly perfectly well on a G80, built entirely stock with wood glue construction and JB Weld for the retainer. In fact, they could probably be flown on many H motors built stock. And you can always make modifications too if you don't like the standard recovery gear or you want to have internal epoxy fillets or some other mod. They are perfectly adequate as MPR rockets, so I'm not sure what you think the "proper way" to learn MPR is.

Also, this weekend, all those rockets are $26.99! That is an awesome price for these kits! And even when not on sale, you can find them for under $45. I don't think you are going to find many great (and complete) MPR kits at that price from other manufacturers.

I guess this discussion has veered off topic, so back now to payload bays...

Back