Reflective Streamers and drogues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I may have a source for some fabric. I have no plans of vending, but if I can get a couple yards and it tests well, I might recommend the stuff to a vendor. Silver or gold on one side and black on the other.

How much is a fair price for:
a 3x 36 streamer?
a 24 inch drogue?

I may have a source for some fabric. I have no plans of vending, but if I can get a couple yards and it tests well, I might recommend the stuff to a vendor. Silver or gold on one side and black on the other.

How much is a fair price for:
a 3x 36 streamer?
a 24 inch drogue?

My wife (CATO-Chutes) is considering manufacturing a streamer similar to the Shadow Aero that so many seem to like. She is thinking about this mostly because I like streamers for DD apogee deployment. Thing is the material is nauseatingly expensive (for fabric) so that leads to a question - what would you be willing to pay for one? Right now the 3(nominal)" x 72" would probably sell for around $15-$18 and the 9(nominal)" x 150" would be around $40-$45. I mention nominal as these would be manufactured differently than the originals and the actual width would be probably closer to 2.5" and 8.5".

Please let me know your thoughts on this. She is reluctant to make the investment (even for me) and If I can get some of us to gang up on her, I might get a couple out of the deal. As any of you know, anything she does is semi custom and is manufactured as fits into her life.

$15-18 for the 3" seems reasonable to me. Shadow sold them for around $35. Make sure she leaves herself a big enough profit that she'll want to keep making them for the long run.

Shadow sold the 3 inch for 19.95. The 6 inch was 35-39.95.

Chuck

The only other issue to Karen was she did not want to take business from anyone else. CATO-Chutes is a boutique/hobby sort of thing and she does not want to step on Gary (Top-Flite) if he is planning to ramp these up. He did make the products and should be the go-to if he wants the segment.

I may have a source for the fabric. I am not going to produce them either. I want to confirm the fabric is good before hand my information over to a manufacturer.

Well who ever decides to make them, I'm interested. In addition to the 2 width sizes mentioned, I would like to see an option for custom lengths.

I just went through this a few weeks ago. Essentially looking at a highly reflective streamer as an alternative option for a drogue. I have yet to test it to see if it behaves as desired, reflective and keeping the nosecone/payload section above the booster on decent. I am hoping to test it at NYPOWER, if so I will post my results for you.

In doing my research I came across the Shadow site while in discussions with Gary from Top Flight, not realizing he made them. I ended up getting a 3"x72" reflective streamer from Gary. And he has a small amount of fabric left to make more, including custom lengths. Originally I asked him to make me a 5"x120" then realized it would not fit in my payload bay.

While talking to Gary he did say what others have mentioned here, in that the fabric has gone up significantly in price, I think partially due to a min order size, to the point where he felt he would not be able to charge enough to make it worth his while. Incidentally the streamer is beautiful and should pack well.

I also had Pat @ Dino chute make me a Mylar reflective streamer which I will also test, however the Mylar has to be rolled or at a minimum folded neatly so if your payload tube doesn't have the space I suspect that the fabric is a better solution. Then there is wear, the Mylar may shred but Pat really did a nice job in protecting the edges in an effort to mitigate that, so who knows which will perform better...some launches will tell.

Gary,

I ordered 2 yards. They came today. I will send you a link tonight. I want to confirm it is good stuff before I waste someone's time.

Back